Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

manifold to downpipe issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manifold to downpipe issues

Ok so... I think I over torqued the bolts connecting the manifold and downpipe in a 4-2-1 set up. Two of the bolts have worked themselves completely out. What do I do? Replace the bolts? Replace the manifold?
Old 12-24-2013, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: manifold to downpipe issues

pics ? and It's not called a down pipe unless it's coming from a turbo....which it's not in this case. what do you mean bolt have worked them selfs out ? replace the nut's and bolts of they are stripped.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:40 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't have to be a turbo application to call it a downpipe - for a two piece header, the upper piece is the manifold, and the bottom piece is the downpipe. Collectively, they form a header.

OP, does your header look something like this?

If so, studs backing out is an EXTREMELY common problem. They're pressed in there, but the metal of the stud and the metal of the manifold have different thermal expansion dynamics. Long, science-y answer short: Every time the manifold gets warm, the studs back out a tiny bit. I've never seen a header like that with studs that lasted more than 6 months.

Go to your local hardware store and replace the studs with flanged bolts. Replace the nuts while you're there, too. Put a dab of blue thread locker on them, tighten them down, and let it sit for a few hours. You'll be good to go after that.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NotARacist
It doesn't have to be a turbo application to call it a downpipe - for a two piece header, the upper piece is the manifold, and the bottom piece is the downpipe. Collectively, they form a header.

OP, does your header look something like this?

If so, studs backing out is an EXTREMELY common problem. They're pressed in there, but the metal of the stud and the metal of the manifold have different thermal expansion dynamics. Long, science-y answer short: Every time the manifold gets warm, the studs back out a tiny bit. I've never seen a header like that with studs that lasted more than 6 months.

Go to your local hardware store and replace the studs with flanged bolts. Replace the nuts while you're there, too. Put a dab of blue thread locker on them, tighten them down, and let it sit for a few hours. You'll be good to go after that.
Yes it looks like that. I have pics but couldn't figure out how to post them. Thank you for your response.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

happened again..changing settings NOW..stupid scroll thing