Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

make my life easier... and yours too 20 mins.

Old 08-06-2005, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default make my life easier... and yours too 20 mins.

so i drive a 92 civic si. i beleive it is pre OBD-I but i am not 100% on that. however when i have to work on it, it is a pain to jumper the cable look at the flash codes turn the vehicle off un jumper them... etc. same thing goes for the timing. also i have an AEM dual friction clutch which get's anoying when i need to turn the vehicle on and off get in push the clutch start it. turn it off. push the clutch start it... you get the idea... also i am kinda paranoid as civics do like to disapear...

My solution:

three switches. on to bridge the connection so i can time my vehicle and view flash codes. one to turn the clutch off. and one to make the computer think the clutch is pushed in.

heres how:

Materials Needed:
1) 3x switches, get these from radio shack needs to be a simple on/off with two pins
2) 6x scotch locks (prefered esp for under the dash) or bell caps, it is near impossible to solder under the dash.
3) soldering iron (and solder)
4) wire, depending on how far you want to go to wire the switches any were from about 10' to 40', personaly i used about 10' of wire after everyting was all said and done.

first find the connector in the pass side kicker that you would normaly use a jumper of some kind to look @ the flash codes. now figure where you want to mount your switch. i personaly mounted mine in the glove box so it would be hidden but easaly accessable. also the wiring is a strait shot.
now drill a hole to mount the switch, solder the wires to the switch, run them and using the scotch locks, splice the two new wires in to the existing wiers going into the the grey plug. one for each wire. and thats it. turn the switch on and you get your flash codes, turn it off and you get a normal car. no more digging around, open and close the glove box.

now for the seccond part.
to make it so nobody can steal your vehicle... well to make it harder, locate the clutch engagement switch. it will be the one that the clutch depresses whn pushed in fully. it is all the way at the top of the clutch pedal. there is a plug way up there. notice which wire is towards the passenger side. pull the plug out and get it asclose to you as possible.

figure out where you want to mount your switches one will be hidden, i zip tied mine under the dash in a bundle of wires. and the switch to alow the vehicle to be turned on while the cluch is not depressed i mounted next to my pocket on the center console.

again solder the wires to the switch.

working with the switch that will not allow the car to start take both wires and scotch lock them to the wire that is facing the passenger side, mount them about a half inch apart. now cut the wire and the switch when turned to the off position will not allow the car to start. for a cleaner look cut the wire first and then mount the scotch locks.

and for the final switch, scotch lock the wire that is coming out of your last switch and going towards the stock plug and then scotch lock the wire on the other side of the plug, that would be the wire facing the out side of the vehicle.
now plug it all back together.

check the switches.

one will not allow the car to start when in the 'off' position.

the other will allow the car to start with the clutch in or out, you can at this point reach in the cab to start the vehicle, w/o getting in.

what do you think?

did i save you some time?
any questions anything i can clarify?
Old 08-06-2005, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

only thing i liked was the switch to check ecu codes
Old 08-06-2005, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

? You shouldnt have to start the car to check a code.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:09 AM

Default Re: (1995Ex_Sedan)

no need to start the car to check codes, but start car for any oter reason, such as timing is what i ment. i am constantly starting my car and waling around to the engine to work on or check something then walking back and turning it off and back and forth... thats all i was talking about.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just to let you know... that clutch switch... if you dont turn the key... and push start it it does absolutely nothing for you ... hahah just like starter kill... howabout you get in your car set your alarm. okay....try to start it.. it wont start ... starter kill.. now push start your car with your alarm on..and i bet you anything if you dont have fuel pump kill on the alarm it will start..
Old 08-07-2005, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gotta think smarter... ie... starter kill/fuel pump kill/ignition kill all on the alarm...... now......3 switches all hidden in different places starterkill/fuel pump kill/ ignition kill... now if someone steals your car with all of that protection then u need to check some friends... also never ever ever tell anybody about where u hide your kill switches....u can never trust anybody... u just gotta think smarter than them.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im tired of seing nice hatches and hondas stolen
Old 08-07-2005, 09:38 AM

Default Re: (siregcivic)

well think of it this way, there's always a way around something. it isn't that hard to get around any alarm, but the more there is the harder it is to get around. i personaly have a fuel ill that nobody would ever find, but i'm sure if a theif wanted to it would be possible to bypass it. just add one more thing for them to get around.

we are never totaly safe
Old 08-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

exactly ^^^^^

we are never safe... but the longer your alarm goes off the better... get battery backup just incase they disconnect the battery... u can never ever be safe enough...