Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Major Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Major Oil Leak

ok heres the thing im a dumb *** i did and oil change on my D16y8 on my del sol but when i took off the old oil filter i didnt see that the rubber on the filter didnt come off so i put the new on and i was fine till about 4 mils down the road when all of my oil was gone.....but i fixed it and put oil in but now some where under the timing belt is throwing oil up and i dont know wat to do

PLEASE HELP !!!!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Major Oil Leak

crank shaft seal. remove the timing belt and replace the seal. hopefully its not the oil pump thats bad now.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well if you didn't have any oil leaks before this mis-hap, then I'd imagine it's just oil that got sprayed there and seeped under the cover and dripping out the bottom or get flung around by the crank gear or timing belt. Also, oil will wick around an oil pan gasket, and then start dripping down as though leaking from an area other than where it originated from. I would take off your timing belt covers & check to make sure the belt didn't get soaked in oil, that would be not good. If you did have oil leaking from the timing covers before I would still pull off the covers to investigate. The most common & likely leaks that would come out from "under" the timing belt covers would be the valve cover gasket (yes), cam seal, crank seal, and oil pan gasket (yes).
Old 05-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if your motor is salvageable then you are lucky. i did this once on a stratus and on start-up all 4.5qts pissed onto the floor. had fun cleaning that up. ironically about 3 months later the motor went.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 300whpej
if your motor is salvageable then you are lucky. i did this once on a stratus and on start-up all 4.5qts pissed onto the floor. had fun cleaning that up. ironically about 3 months later the motor went.
try walking into the shop in the morning to find about 10000 gallons on the shop floor from a lube gun being left on and the compressor too. oil came out all night and drained the underground oil tank. damn that sucked LOL
Old 05-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, so who got fired over that? docking pay for a few years aint cuttin' it.
Old 05-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 300whpej
wow, so who got fired over that? docking pay for a few years aint cuttin' it.
no it was the dealership so we figured it was some dumb *** sales guy who either did an oil change to his car after we left....of added oil to his car....or added oil to a used car we had for sale before showing a potential customer. but either way the dumb *** didnt close the gun and left the trigger pulled of locked in the open position. the shop is indoors and open for late car washes incase there is a sale late after we techs would leave for the day. no one got fired but we all had to go to every auto parts store and buy all the kitty litter we could get in the entire area. so any one wanting kitty litter that day was SOL because we had another screw up at the dealership LOL god i hated working there
Old 05-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My lilo bro did the same thing. the gasket was stuck to the engine, didn't notice, place new filter, and drove it. 15 miles down the road oil light came on, engine caught on fire, and lucky nothing major damage to the car.. Clean, new harness, sensors...
lesson learn about 600+ worth of replacement parts... damm S2000 so expensive.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have something similar... my girlfriend bought her civic found out it had an oil leak took it to a few none honda people and they told her it was everything under the sun..... then i came along after she had everything changed i.e. head gasket, trans seals crank seals like everything a red neck would change.. through research and opening my eyes i figured out the dizzy o-ring and v-tec gasket were leaking and now there is still a leak coming from under the timing belt cover. i'm thinking its the cam shaft seal... but i dont know. the crank seal has already been changed and its the only thing else i know of being under there that can leak
Old 05-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well my opinion is if its leaking-replace it. if it is old but not leaking-replace it or do so when youre in that area. like doing a head gasket and doing the cam and crank seals too. its preventive maintenance. i'm a firm believer in that. so red neck or not i would have replaced anything that was leaking. the HG i would have done like after 200,000 miles when i did the timing belt again or as soon as it blew. and i would have done a complete valve job too and replaced the valve guides too. accurately diagnose the leak and repair it