Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

major motor failure?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major motor failure?

ok so this morning around 8 am i went out to get my cigs out of my car and noticed that my check engine light, brake light, oil light, and battery light were all on and no key was in, so i was wierded out, i ended up attempting to start it and click click click vroom its started i let it run for a minute went down the driveway then back up and everything was fine. then i decided to turn it off i turned the key all the way back and took it out the car was still running wtf???? so i put the key back in it tried again still nothing so i stalled the car out and unhooked the battery now can anyone tell my whats wrong.....also i live in upstate NY where we just got our first good snow and its freezing if this has anything to do with it by the way its a 99 dx with around 90K on it aem cold air (short right now) custom exhaust and i regrounded the engine bay
Old 12-07-2004, 06:18 AM

Default Re: major motor failure? (accident prone)

You need to check your ignition switch. I'm never heard of this happening on a Honda before, but I used to see at on the newer GM's all the time when I was at the garage. Switch has probably gone bad and will need to be replaced.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: major motor failure? (CycloneBlue_1.6EL)

where in the hell would i find that lol?
Old 12-07-2004, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have any water puddles in your car? Sounds like something got wet. Pull the carpet up near the ecu to see if it's wet.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accident prone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where in the hell would i find that lol?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pull off the plastic shrouding on the steering column. The switch is behind the ignition key cylinder. I vote for that as the cause of your problems; sounds like it's shorting (keeping your acc on and motor running.)
Old 12-07-2004, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: major motor failure? (EX_AutoXer)

ok well it seems like everyone is pointing to the same idea, i checked for water nothing really nothing at all near the ecu a little in the change collector thing on the side of my drivers seat thats it, i pulled off the column and realized i dont even know what im looking for all i know is that its prolly something to do with the tumblers does anyone know of anyplace i can get one of these besides spending the money at a dealership and an estimated cost if it is the switch, i guess i can drive it for now just gotta stall the car to stop the engine and disconect the battery unless someones got a better idea p.s. looks like im screwed on my last week of school and i gotta find someway to get to my college finals lol ****!
Old 12-07-2004, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i actually have seen this with older integra's my best friend had this happen to him, you should just replace the ignition, as stated before, they can get price though,
Old 12-07-2004, 08:01 AM

check fuses to
Old 12-07-2004, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i just got back from getting gas and oil for my snowblower which is ina million pieces on my garage floor funny how i can rip a 5 horsepower snowblower apart put in a new ignition, blades, yada yada and have it work (yes Jim it did start) but when i pulled in i turned off my radio, heat, defroster and then the car and guess what i turned off im confused but if i tend to get this problem again i think im gunna get a new ignition the wierdest thing is its a 99 but it might be from having to much weight on the keychain (carabeeners gotta love em)
Old 12-07-2004, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know for sure that Honda had a recall on some civics for their ignition switches. I would go to a local dealership and have them look up your VIN to see if you have a free one coming to you.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: major motor failure? (jz98ctr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jz98ctr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know for sure that Honda had a recall on some civics for their ignition switches. I would go to a local dealership and have them look up your VIN to see if you have a free one coming to you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my god i would have a orgasm lol
Old 12-07-2004, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by accident prone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anyone know of anyplace i can get one of these besides spending the money at a dealership and an estimated cost if it is the switch</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.slhondaparts.com/br...=true

Old 12-09-2004, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well it stopped, i have no idea why but it definetly stoped doing it lol im guessing my ecu might have got a little damp during the rain and snowstorms that just happened i guess maybe i shouldnt have removed my wheel wells but thanx for the help guys
Old 12-09-2004, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would recheck all your grounds. A messed up ground can do strange things.