Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

major knocking noise agenist frame inside engine bay, need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major knocking noise agenist frame inside engine bay, need help

Ok so heres whats happening, first off the car is a 2000 civic DX manual trans. I Recently put in a new clutch about a month ago. However recently in the last week whenever I accelerate the car makes a huge knock sound mostly from the right passanger side, and it can be felt through the body, but not when I start braking. Right now the car is in the shop, normally I would do it but I have way too many things to do plus a partially broken hand, so i'm not working on the car this time. We first thought ball joints, that checked out ok, Steering rack and tie rods were checked, those looked ok, they checked the motor mounts, and those have been checked out ok. The guys at the shop are stumped, So they are still searching through the car for what could possibly causing the problem. I'm taking the car on a trip down to LA on the weekend so i'm determined to have this thing back and running safely.

So if any of you have any opinions on what else it might be, or if it really is one of the previously described possibilities, I would like to hear it.

Any suggestions would be greatly appricated.

Thanks in advance

Modified by ShortShifter at 2:43 PM 5/24/2007
Old 05-23-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: major knocking noise agenist frame inside engine bay, need help (ShortShifter)

Double check all the mounts...not only for cracks or breaks but missing bolts and such. there was a post similar to this about 6 months ago...turned out one of his mounts wasnt bolted down
Old 05-23-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Re: major knocking noise agenist frame inside engine bay, need help (B16b-EJ8)

Thanks B16b

They put the car outside for the night at the shop and they let me pick it up to screw around with, I brought it back home, checked all the motor mounts, they are as tight and snug as they always were, no problems there. I was hopeing that was it but it wasn't, would of been an easy fix. So now I'm going to hope it really is just a ball joint, last thing I want is a major steering problem here with the tie rods, or even the power rack and pinion. So I went ahead and dropped the car back off at the shop again for them to resume their cavity search on it tomorrow.

Another thought has crossed my mind, is it possible frame damage could casue this? I mean i've never beat the thing, and its never had an accident, but i'm wondering if it's something else going on with the chassis and body it's self that is causing the noise.

Anything else people?
Old 05-24-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: major knocking noise agenist frame inside engine bay, need help (ShortShifter)

ttt
Old 05-24-2007, 01:15 PM

front LCAs there is a bolt on the LCA well i think its the LCA but newho there is a nut on the inside of the LCA and the bolt is on the outside when this loosens like a lot of hondas does it will cause the tire to move forward and backwards jack up the car and push rather hard from side to side ( to the front of the car then to the back of the car) and if it doesnt move then this isnt the problem but this is my guess because it has happened to me a few times so then i welded it no more backing out yay!! but newho try that lemmie know because it sounds like the same problem i had
Old 05-24-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: major knocking noise agenist frame inside engine bay, need help (SkertySkerty)

Well its in the hands of the shop again, so they are doing their searching on it. But if its not fixed, I assume it would be a suicide mission to take the thing on a trip if the problem is not delt with, because I was supposted to go meet some friends down near by LA this weekend, but right now thats on hold due to my car's issues.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:27 AM

The shop called to report to me that the ball joint broke on a test drive and wheel well crashed onto the whole tire, so yeah, we found the problem, the'll have it back to me later today when its all finished.
Old 05-25-2007, 10:31 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ShortShifter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The shop called to report to me that the ball joint broke on a test drive and wheel well crashed onto the whole tire, so yeah, we found the problem, the'll have it back to me later today when its all finished.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good to know...make sure you inspect everything very well, i have seen some killer damage from that happening to cars before. Kind of concerning that they did not notice this or werent able to diagnose based on what you had told them. I would think they would have inspected before driving...any how good luck
Old 05-25-2007, 12:27 PM

GL