Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Major engine problem!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major engine problem!

ok, so i have been searching for a couple hours with no luck, my engine seems that its blown, it will crank up but if u try to drive it the engine lsoes power and cuts off. i was told it may be that the valves are bent because somebody put too much oil in it, if so would it be able to fix by replacing the head out? thanks alot if you have info on this
Old 09-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Major engine problem! (jdm236)

To my knowledge, you can't really bend a valve by putting in too much oil. It should seep out through the crankcase ventilation system and be burnt off. There are many ways to bend a valve, but if its bent, it will not hold compression, hence the engine won't run properly.

If its a D engine, just swap it
Old 09-05-2006, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Major engine problem! (DeadEnd9009)

what motor? What kinda noises do u hear that shouldent be there? Too much oil wouldent bend a valve but it could blow a motor. I know that if there is too little oil in the motor it will run but wont let it engage the second cam profile (4-5k. You hafta explain more to narrow down what it could be
Old 09-05-2006, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Major engine problem! (XLR8 GS-R)

do a compression test and see how ur reading are, if they're low, do a leakdown test.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Major engine problem! (EM1_ChRiS)

its a d16y8, with about 202,xxx miles and from about 1000-3000 rpm there is a loud knocking noise, also when the car just sits there and idles the tachometer will move up without giving any force to the gas peddle, and yes i would like to swap it and convert from auto to manual just i havent found a good detailed write( sure there are plenty out there), and im only in highschool so money is kinda short, but if you know any1 with any motors or anything email me at wonderboy442@Aol.com
Old 09-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

the noise i would think is coming from a bad bearing in your bottom end... but i don't think that that would explain your running problems. what it would do is give you a good reason to swap. when money is short do tons of research and put a lot of your own time, and hopefully newly learned skills into it to save money. lotta satisfaction there too.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Major engine problem! (hondamark35)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondamark35 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the noise i would think is coming from a bad bearing in your bottom end... but i don't think that that would explain your running problems. what it would do is give you a good reason to swap. when money is short do tons of research and put a lot of your own time, and hopefully newly learned skills into it to save money. lotta satisfaction there too. </TD></TR></TABLE>
++2
Old 09-06-2006, 09:28 PM

Default Re: Major engine problem! (instructor74)

Hey from what you describe its a rod knock like the others said from a bad bearing. Dont beat on it and you will get some more miles out of it before the rod/motor goes. If I were you- before the parts let loose and everything is wasted, take apart the motor and sell the parts that are still good. Get yourself a b20 they are the best bang for buck at only 500$ Then find yourself a used LS or b16 tranny. You will have a fast setup for under 1k$ when its all said and done.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Major engine problem! (XLR8 GS-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm236 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...yes i would like to swap it and convert from auto to manual just i havent found a good detailed write( sure there are plenty out there)...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah there are, and one really good one...
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1337459

And you have rod knock. Stop driving the car until:
1. You replace the bad bearing and fix the crank.
2. Put in a new bottom end.

For the most part, either could be done for about the same price. A running y8 block could be had for about 200 and fixing the bearing can be done for about the same.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:44 PM

whoa whoa, first of all what else have you done besides get false information from some jackass that told you valves can be bent from too much oil? where does the noise seem to be coming from? if it starts up but cuts out when you drive it can be a number of things, are you knowledgable enough to perform compression and leakdown tests? fuel pressure test? how do the spark plugs look? done anything lately to the motor, when did this noise start and cut out symptom start happening? how is your oil level? condition? any check engine lights? these are all things that need to be looked at and apparently some people on here ignore..instead they would rather just leap off the building of stupid conclusions and drown in their own stupidity.. if i were you, i would look up how to properly perform all those tests and look at the things mentioned and come back on here and hopefully someone can give you an intelligent answer rather than b.s. and if your wondering why im saying this, as soon as someone mentions on here that they here a noise and it "sounds" like its coming from the motor its automatically assumed rod bearings
Old 09-06-2006, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

putting too much oil will blow your gasket not your valves.......
like mine valve cover gasket was leaking after........
Old 09-07-2006, 12:08 AM

its not his fault, "blame canada" he has an excuse if you said using the wrong kind of oil can ruin seals or cause leaks then i would agree with you noob, but again false information im not goin to get into it but overfilling oil will neither cause gaskets to fail especially your valve cover gasket, nor can it miraculously bend valves.. and if someone says it can cause foamy conditions im gonna compu-kick you in the nuts adios
Old 09-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdeemseerx)

thanks for the info but i havent driven the car at all since it started to mess up, but i replaced the spark pluds, wires, and changed out the air filter but now whenever i turn it on the tach needle will start moving up without any force on the gas peddle and the engine check light will come on, and no i dont have all the experience to do those tests, but its an all stock car, not even an intake as been put on it, so ima just re-buy a d16y8 and sell the old one i have, so its for sale