Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Maintenance required light keeps blinking.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance required light keeps blinking.

I have a Honda Civic LX 03. It’s about a year old and I am running into a problem. My maintenance required light keeps blinking! Every time I turn the car on it blinks 10 times and then just goes away. What can be causing this?
Old 06-16-2004, 01:57 PM
Electrician

Let me take a WILD stab at it. Uhm, maybe your 2003 Honda Civic needs maintenence? New cars do this a lot. It meens, "Take me back to the Honda dealership so they can rip you a new ******* with the prices they charge." If it's under warranty (it should), go to Honda and let them do the routine maintenence.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:04 PM

Default Re: (Dimi)

I understand the obvious. The only reason im asking is because I talked with quite a few guys I know that know alot more about cars then I. They said that it could be something minor that I can do at home without voiding the warranty and save money/time. Plus, if you take a look at the following link to a post on this forum about the same problem with a Civic Type R. They said it was some bs thing with the milage. Im wondering if its simply the same thing.

Heres the link: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=158456
Old 06-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Electrician

My 1997 Honda Accord EX does the same. Little Green/Yellow/Red color comes on when something is needed in terms of maintenece. Since I had the car in 2001, I never took it in. You don't need to. Look at your Service Manual, every interval should be in there on what to inspect and change, etc..etc..etc..
Old 06-16-2004, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wyrmagi)

Turn the car off. hold the button on the cluster to reset your mileage. turn on the key and wait till the light goes out. It worked for my 02 Accord
Old 06-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My 1997 Honda Accord EX does the same. Little Green/Yellow/Red color comes on when something is needed in terms of maintenece. Since I had the car in 2001, I never took it in. You don't need to. Look at your Service Manual, every interval should be in there on what to inspect and change, etc..etc..etc..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is it something you can reset? I know in my EK all you have to do is insert my key into the little hole next to the maintenance dial
Don't know much about the newer models, though...
Old 06-16-2004, 02:14 PM
Electrician

On the 1994-1997 Honda Accord models you can just stick your key in the hole and it'll reset. What I always did. Just stay on top of your maintenence. Plugs, wires, clean cap and rotor, timing belt, water pump, etc...

That reminds me, it reminded me of the 90k mark to change timing belt and water pump. Gotta tell g/f to save because I need to change those out. 92k already.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your owners manual you should have recieved with the car, the light will come on at certain mileage intervals to remind you do have the services done. It will come on briefly when you start up the car, then it will come on and either stay on longer and or blink a few times untill eventually it will just come on solid and stay on.
You can reset it yourself, its in the owners book. My g/f has an 02 rsx and we went through this exact same thing.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:19 PM
Electrician

Default Re: (The AntiRice)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The AntiRice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your owners manual you should have recieved with the car, the light will come on at certain mileage intervals to remind you do have the services done. It will come on briefly when you start up the car, then it will come on and either stay on longer and or blink a few times untill eventually it will just come on solid and stay on.
You can reset it yourself, its in the owners book. My g/f has an 02 rsx and we went through this exact same thing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Didn't I just say that? J/K bro.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:23 PM

Default Re: (The AntiRice)

Im thinking that its the mileage thing. It just hit around that time to change the oil and filter and have a check up. So, im willing to bet its that. Thanks for the help people.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:16 PM

It comes on for the certain services needed @ specific mileages. People come into the dealership I work @ all the time wondering why its on and I show them how to reset it right then and there but they get service done afterwards anyways. It's usually an oil change reminder, should come on around every 3500 miles or so and for major services. Just keep up with what you need in the owners manual or whats suggested.

There should be one or 2 buttons sticking out of your gauge cluster, one with a clock near it in white and the other should say reset next to it. Turn off the car and hold down the reset button (unless there is only one button in that case hold it down) turn the key to accessory 2 and keep holding the button. It will turn off in about 20 seconds.

The maint light isnt really a major light to worry about, it just means its time for service. Check Engine Light....now thats another story.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Caveman74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Caveman74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turn the car off. hold the button on the cluster to reset your mileage. turn on the key and wait till the light goes out. It worked for my 02 Accord</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly the way they say to do it in the OWNER's BOOKLET!
Old 06-16-2004, 04:55 PM

it can also mean you need an oil change
Old 06-16-2004, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Caveman74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turn the car off. hold the button on the cluster to reset your mileage. turn on the key and wait till the light goes out. It worked for my 02 Accord</TD></TR></TABLE>
this is correct, all you have to do is reset it
Old 06-16-2004, 06:33 PM

Ok. I have done some research and found that it comes on at 8k miles and goes back off at 10k miles. At around that same time, the owner will need to change the oil and rotate the tires under normal driving conditions. Thanks for the help. It pointed me in the right direction to find this info.
Old 06-16-2004, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wyrmagi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok. I have done some research and found that it comes on at 8k miles and goes back off at 10k miles. At around that same time, the owner will need to change the oil and rotate the tires under normal driving conditions. Thanks for the help. It pointed me in the right direction to find this info. </TD></TR></TABLE>

WoW! what did you do look in the owners manual?
Old 06-16-2004, 08:05 PM

Ok. Well, you guys have fun with your forum. Bye.
Old 06-17-2004, 05:42 AM

Works the same way on my 03 accord - IF YOU TAKE THE TIME TO READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL it will tell you how to do this procedure.....