Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Main Shaft Bearing....Help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main Shaft Bearing....Help...

Ok, I just spent the last hour or so trying to get some info on the Mainshaft Bearing, Pilot Bearing and T/O bearing. I learned A LOT about these bearing of what they do and what could go wrong with them. My main concern is the mainshaft bearing. I read that it is not a pressed bearing. Is this correct? So if I was to replace the bearing, would it come right out or what?
Also the pilot bearing. I was reading that it is kinda hard to get in. People were using a wood block and a hammer to pound it in. Well, if its so hard to get in....How would I take it out? Could I find these bearing at Auto Zone or some local parts shop? Thanks for the help!!

I also posted this same topic in the TECH forum. Also did the topic here since most of you guys/gals have the same car as me...eg6 si....Might have or had the same problem...Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2004, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Main Shaft Bearing....Help... (crzyfool24)

1. You will find a throwout bearing and pilot bearing at Auto Zone or the likes, but I would suggest just using OEM Honda Bearings.

2. You will NOT find the mainshaft bearing (to my knowledge) at Auto Zone or the likes. That must be purchased from Honda.

3. The pilot bearing is not "pressed" in, nor is the mainshaft bearing. They are just tapped into their respective locations.

4. In order for the pilot bearing to be removed, you will need to remove the flywheel, turn it with the clutch side facing upward. Take a socket that fits within the inside diameter of the hole that the bearing fits into, tap downward with a hammer to knock out the bearing.

5. In order for the pilot bearing to be installed, you will want to turn the flywheel over with the clutch side facing downward. Take the same socket or a larger peice of wood (in order to distribute the weight evenly) and carefully tap downward with a hammer or rubber mallet until the bearing is fully seated.

6. In order for the mainshaft bearing to be removed from the mainshaft, you will need to open the case and seperate the shafts. Turn the shaft so that it's running vertically and the bearing is at the bottom. Rest it on the top of a work bench and carefully whack away at the top of the shaft to distribute some force downward through the shaft. After repeating that a few times your bearing should drop off.

7. In order to install the mainshaft bearing, you will want to get the bearing started on the end of the shaft. To get it seated in it's final position, place a peice of wood on the work bench and tap the shaft downward onto the wood.
Old 08-21-2004, 07:20 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Main Shaft Bearing....Help... (RareSI)

If you're talking about the mainshaft input bearing, after you take the gear cluster out you can tap it out from the other side with a socket, and then re-tap it in with a small block of wood.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Main Shaft Bearing....Help... (RareSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RareSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. You will find a throwout bearing and pilot bearing at Auto Zone or the likes, but I would suggest just using OEM Honda Bearings.

2. You will NOT find the mainshaft bearing (to my knowledge) at Auto Zone or the likes. That must be purchased from Honda.

3. The pilot bearing is not "pressed" in, nor is the mainshaft bearing. They are just tapped into their respective locations.

4. In order for the pilot bearing to be removed, you will need to remove the flywheel, turn it with the clutch side facing upward. Take a socket that fits within the inside diameter of the hole that the bearing fits into, tap downward with a hammer to knock out the bearing.

5. In order for the pilot bearing to be installed, you will want to turn the flywheel over with the clutch side facing downward. Take the same socket or a larger peice of wood (in order to distribute the weight evenly) and carefully tap downward with a hammer or rubber mallet until the bearing is fully seated.

6. In order for the mainshaft bearing to be removed from the mainshaft, you will need to open the case and seperate the shafts. Turn the shaft so that it's running vertically and the bearing is at the bottom. Rest it on the top of a work bench and carefully whack away at the top of the shaft to distribute some force downward through the shaft. After repeating that a few times your bearing should drop off.

7. In order to install the mainshaft bearing, you will want to get the bearing started on the end of the shaft. To get it seated in it's final position, place a peice of wood on the work bench and tap the shaft downward onto the wood.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is helpful.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Main Shaft Bearing....Help... (SeaQuake)

Another helpful tip concerning the pilot bearing: Put it in the freezer overnight - should shrink ever so slightly to allow for an easier install into the flywheel.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SeaQuake &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> This is helpful.</TD></TR></TABLE>

....and so is the Helms