Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

main bearing cap removal

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default main bearing cap removal

i removed all the bolts in the specific order and sequence honda recomends and now im scared to just tug away at it....... so do i just do that or what?

i don't want to warp it and need a new one

any help would be great.

when i remove it will the crank want to come with it??
Old 12-25-2005, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: main bearing cap removal (shy_guy98ex)

make sure the tangs are placed back cporrectly and did you index it? it would be a lot of help if you index it before removal, there should also be arrows too.

tomy_r
Old 12-25-2005, 02:24 PM

yeah i've been idexing the hell out of it. and what are the tangs? this is my first time doing bottom end work.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: (shy_guy98ex)

if you still have the rear main seal cover on it, more than likly the crank won't want to fall out. just be carefull and aware of where everything goes. you sound like you really want to do this right. good luck.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:40 PM

thanks a lot rainforest, i have been taking everything out and trying to keep EVERYTHING in the proper order on the diagrams i printed out and keep in mind which order everything is in and not allow myself to lose anything.

it gets serious when you can see your pistons for the first time!!

but yeah how down the main bearing cap come off after unbolting it?
Old 12-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tangs are slits on the metal bearings where it should align back up with the other slot on the bearing cap. do you know what is a feeler gauge is? if you do know you should measure the crankshaft side play, main bearing side play and the crush bearing side play and check it out with the manufactures specs. you should do this first and check it out.

tomy_r
Old 12-25-2005, 08:50 PM

the feeler is like a lil' plastic thing with slots on it right?
Old 12-26-2005, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no a feeler gauge is a tool that you use to measure clearance on the smallest clearance. this is very use full in helping many things. tangs are on the crush bearing where it are slots that are to help you put the bearing caps back on correctly. i dont know much about it but learned it from class. first of all, use the feeler gauge and go check side play from the main bearings and crank shaft. get the manufacture specs, do you have AllData? this is a very use full online information site. let me go find some pics for you.

tomy_r
Old 12-26-2005, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (tomy_r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tomy_r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tangs are slits on the metal bearings where it should align back up with the other slot on the bearing cap. do you know what is a feeler gauge is? if you do know you should measure the crankshaft side play, main bearing side play and the crush bearing side play and check it out with the manufactures specs. you should do this first and check it out.

tomy_r</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ummm... don't listen to this guy, seriously...

1). Its not sideplay, its ENDPLAY
2). Its not measured with a feeler guage, you use a dial indicator
3). There is no 'crush' washer, its a THRUST washer

Where the "tangs" are doesn't matter when someone is removing the main caps and the crank, now does it? It will be more then obvious for anyone with half a brain on where the tangs should go.

What engine are you taking apart? Depending on what engine you are working with, LIGHTLY tapping with a rubber/plastic mallet from side to side will help to work the main caps loose. DO NOT use a normal metal hammer, please.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

eh i am just trying to help him for what i know it aint the best but can do aights.
tomy_r
Old 12-26-2005, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (tomy_r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tomy_r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">eh i am just trying to help him for what i know it aint the best but can do aights.
tomy_r</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man, cutting corners in engine building is not a smart thing. Taking measurements with a feeler gauge for endplay wouldn't be accurate at all. If he plans to rebuild it, then there is no real need to measure endplay anyways, as he plans to replace the thrust washers. He will be able to inspect the thrust washer surface and the block for damage once the crank is out. No need to even care what endplay is at this point, unless he wants to keep his thrust washer. For the cost of em, why would you?
Old 12-26-2005, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hybrid93Eg)

yeah thanks for the more clearer explanation, makes me think about some things that i said, thanks maybe your more of a help to him good luck yall! peace out.

tomy_r