Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Macco.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2001, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Macco.......

I know what your already thinking and I have heard all the horror stories about them, but a buddy of mine got his car painted there for 500 bux and it looks pretty damn good! I am thinking about getting my hatch painted and i dont want to spend an arm and a leg on it cuz id rather put that money towards my swap and parts...... Anyways he got a 4 year warranty w/ the paint job.... I might wait a couple of months to see what it looks like then. Let me know your opinions
Old 12-22-2001, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Macco....... (ITR632)

maaco...eh...i've heard better paint jobs coming out of earl scheib...my friends supra got painted at maaco...and it was really crappy...if you want a temporary paint job that you will repaint in a couple months and you got money to spare...otherwise chill with what you've got and save your money for a better paint job...it will be worth it...
Old 12-22-2001, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Macco....... (tEK_99)

i hear you but you prolly wouldnt b saying that if you seen what i got
Old 12-22-2001, 07:22 PM

wow...what kind of paint job did you get? what color?
Old 12-22-2001, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Macco....... (tEK_99)

i've heard all the horror stories too, but my friend had his talon painted there recently and it came out pretty nice. another one of my friends had his eclipse painted there and it came out with some marks left, but he took it back and they buffed it for him and cleaned it up. they race their cars a lot, so they don't care too much about how shiny or flashy the paint job is. just as long as it's clean.
Old 12-22-2001, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maaco sucks man....i have a frined that got two of his cars painted there and it never came out to what color he actually wanted...damn they suck
Old 12-22-2001, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Macco....... (locass316)

depends what one you go to...you pay for the $500 paint job, some places will give you a $500 paint job, you go to another place, perhaps someone you know works there, you get a $2000 paint job for $500.....just primer it yourself and get most of the stuff masked off...thats the problem with them, they don't prime it well and they overspray a lot
Old 12-22-2001, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Macco....... (madtownhonda)

will maaco just do the sanding? that seems to be the most time consuming process
Old 12-25-2001, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if u want a cheap makeup kit..maaco is the place to go..for $199 on my wifes 89 volvo...it was worth the 3 yrs befor turning dusty again..but u do get what u pay for..i didnt expect a $2k paint job for $199..and didnt get it either..not even close..but if u want a better paint job..they ll do it as good or better than anyone else
Old 12-25-2001, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Macco....... (deepnite)

i dunno i spent 1800 on my paint job at a reputible shop and i had to take it back.. and i still have to take it back again.. it sucks.. i probably would have gotten the same job, if not better at maaco.
Old 12-25-2001, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Macco....... (scofa)

yea....my boys car got painted at maaco and it turned out nice...didnt look perfectly smooth but it was nice looking...i would do it myself...only problems were that he had paint on his front lights...but im planning to tape up my lights and sanding down my car myself...hop[e it turns out well
Old 12-26-2001, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Macco....... (hydroflip)

Here's the thing with maaco paint jobs....all these horror stories you hear is because their prepwork sucks, They don't sand. They just scuff and shoot. I know of at least two local body shops that, when backed up heavily with work, prep all their cars and then take them to maaco to be painted. Just have someone sand it and prep it then take it to maaco.
Old 12-26-2001, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Macco....... (WAFFLES)

you get what you pay for
Old 12-26-2001, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Macco....... (WAFFLES)

Could any of this depend on the individual practices of every different Maaco employee. Maybe some of them take pride in their work and some of them don't. Just a thought...
Old 12-26-2001, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Macco....... (Barabus)

my brother had his old ef painted there and yes the paint job sucked....well actually the prep job sucked which made the paint job suck. the biggest problem he had was that they only had/made enough paint to spray his car. when we took it back and showed them places that they needed to fix, they did it, but every time they put paint on his car it was slightly different. by the end there were 10 different shades of red on his car. no it wasnt the color he asked for. if there was a rock near his car it would chip. it sucked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2001, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Macco....... (greyeg)

damn i wish i had a maaco near me haha, how many people have gotten paint jobs where they actually took out the windows or atleast the window seals so that it wasnt masked off where the seal went around the window
Old 12-26-2001, 12:04 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Macco....... (90accord1)

Actually i'm in the process of doing a color change on my '92 CX hatch. Right now it's Macco ****-red and i'm going Vogue silver Metallic.

My fridns and I have stripped EVERYTHING out of the car in order for the color change to be completely thorough. What needs to come out of the car in order to do it right? Here's what I've gotten:

1. Engine/tranny
2. EVERYTHING out of the engine bay - all wiring harnesses, brake booster/master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, brake hard lines, EVERYTHING!
3. Interior - carpet, seats, DASHBOARD, door panels, all plastic linings, HEADLINER, TAR, etc.
4. HEATER core and ducting
5. All wiring harnesses - chassy harness, engine harness, ALL wires going to the back of the car for lights, etc.
6. Hatch and hatch glass
7. Spoiler off hatch - plastic spoiler off metal base
8. REAR 1/4 GLASS
9. Headlights
10 Tail lights
11. Mirrors
12. Cowl for windshield
13. FENDERS
14. DOORS

Basically, the car must be a SHELL. The only thing that's left on the car is the damn windshield - I just will not be able to take it out - more money and worried about leaks later on.

I'm paying $2,500 for the whole job including repairing any dings and prepping the whoile car, basecoats and clearcoats. I've seen work from the shop, in fact, they've paited almost my whole other EG before I sold it.

You get what you pay for, and you get out of it what you put into it.

I figure this way I'll have a better-than-factory paintjob - LESS orange peel, and CLEAR in the jams, engine bay, and most importantly INSIDE the car so it won't be ghetto until i can afford all new carpeting and interior pieces.

BTW: my friend had his car painted at a Maaco in Conyers, GA and it looks VERY good. He had another shop do the prep.

Maaco does NOT tape **** up though - they paint EVERYTHING including the EXHAUST, moldings, spoiler, etc. if you don't tape it up. CAREFUL!

Old 12-26-2001, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Macco....... (B18C5-EH2)

what is involved with the sanding?
Old 12-26-2001, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Find someone who actually knows how to paint and prep that works at a MAACO (a friend) supply your own materials and just pay for the labor...they will do it...
Old 12-26-2001, 06:55 PM

Default preping the car urself.

preping is the toughest thing..if ur going to go thru all the trouble of taping and sanding..may as well spend a few days on the weekend painting it urself..id have fun..painting, sanding, painting, sanding, painting, sanding..then a couple coats of clear coat...hell alot better !!
Old 12-26-2001, 09:32 PM
Banned

Default Re: preping the car urself. (deepnite)

i'm faced with this situation also. i want my car to be painted the same color but i want everything that's black on the outside t be silver to metch the rest of the car (what honda DIDN'T do from the factory) but i don't know if maaco will be a reputable place to bring my car. this thread isn't really helping me because i'm reading both sides of the coin here (both good and bad)
--justin