Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

lurching in 2nd gear . . . motor mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2003, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lurching in 2nd gear . . . motor mounts?

unless i handle the gas smoothly in 2nd gear my car sometimes goes into this lurching thing that is really really annoying and i have to hit the clutch to make it quit . . . is this something that is characteristic of 93 del sols? or is it just the motor mounts . . . (oh, please let it be the motor mounts)
Old 01-28-2003, 11:49 AM

Default Re: lurching in 2nd gear . . . motor mounts? (Typical Lucas)

lurch
Old 01-28-2003, 12:05 PM

how about u elaborate on what you just said to allow us to help...lurch just isnt going to cut it. go into detail, the more the better. then we can help you
Old 01-28-2003, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lurching in 2nd gear . . . motor mounts? (delslow94)

too see if it is a motor mount open your hood have some one stand outside and watch the motor as you pull the ebrake alll the up then start to ingage the motor like into a gear. if the motor moves then its a motor mount. you can tell its a motor mount expesally when its really bad
Old 01-28-2003, 12:43 PM

Default Re: lurching in 2nd gear . . . motor mounts? (delslow94)

how about u elaborate on what you just said to allow us to help...lurch just isnt going to cut it. go into detail, the more the better. then we can help you

alright.

lets say i'm just cruising along behind some grandma going 25mpg... she eventually changes lanes and i stab the gas to pass her old *** and instead of accelerating smoothly my car lurches (it's the only word i have for it) back and forth throwing any passenger i have around and embarrassing me. the car pulls forward then feels like it stops then slams forward again and back again, it sucks!

i have thought that it could just be the pressure i'm applying to the gas pedal.... that when i hit the gas too hard the car accelerates and i move back in my seat, causing the my foot to lighten the pressure on the gas, causing the car to slow, causing me to move forward, causing my foot to hit the gas again............ i dunno, if it was really obvious that that was what was happening i wouldn't ask you guys. i'd just try to drive better... but sometimes it seems like no amount of care in keeping steady pressure will keep my car from lurching.....

btw this doesn't happen all the time, it's pretty rare, but it's also pretty aggrivating

[Modified by Typical Lucas, 9:44 PM 1/28/2003]
Old 01-28-2003, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This happens to me to. 92 Civic Si.

Let's see how similar we are...

I'm guessing it feels as if you were tapping the gas instead of moving your foot smoothly?

And does it do it worse when you first get on the gas? Like, in the first quarter of the pedals travel? So if you are trying to just ease onto the gas, it'll lurch a bit, but then as you get into the pedal, it smooths out?

And if you're about halfway into the pedal travel and you give it gas or let off some it perfectly smooth?

And if you're on the gas anywhere, and you let all the way off the gas fast, it lurches?

It is embarassing, and it's annoying as ****. I have no idea what it is, but I put in Energy Suspension mount inserts and that didn't really help at all.

I heard something about the early Civic's having a recall for a sticky throttle cable, but I'm not sure about it. It would make sense if that was the problem.

Anybody know where to find info on recalls and safety things for Honda's?
Old 01-28-2003, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lurching in 2nd gear . . . motor mounts? (Mojo-Jojo)

not being mean no falme intended but its what you're trying to do man...its the driver. remember first learning to drive a stick and u slip the clutch then dump it and barely give it any gas and the car jerks like that? essentially thats what you're doing. theres nothing wrong with your car. u could be talkin about somethin different all together, but from ehat im reading thats what you're describing. its a tough question to answer unless you're in the car with the guy having the problem. sorry if this is no help, maybe it gives u some comfort about the mechanical condition of the vehicle?
Old 01-28-2003, 01:25 PM

Default Re: lurching in 2nd gear . . . motor mounts? (egvtec)

sounds like the driver.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lurching in 2nd gear . . . motor mounts? (all stock)

I have the same problem if I am understanding this correctly. I think it is just because the rpm's get so low in second that when you hit the gas again it kinda bogs. That is my only answer.
Old 01-28-2003, 02:25 PM

Default Re: lurching in 2nd gear . . . motor mounts? (egvtec)

what you're trying to do man...its the driver.
i was pretty much throwing it out there to see if you all thought it could be a symptom of a bigger problem. i would have kept quiet but it's not the same kind of shuddering crap you get from a car when learning to drive stick. i'm just not going to worry about it anymore. besides it never happens when i friggin floor it... which is how i drive now
Old 01-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It happens in my car no matter who drives it and no matter how smooth they are.
Old 01-28-2003, 03:29 PM
TheHater

Default Re: lurching in 2nd gear . . . motor mounts? (Mojo-Jojo)

Daaamn that must feel nasty ..
Old 10-10-2004, 06:41 AM

Default Re: lurching in 2nd gear . . . motor mounts? (TheHater)

Apologies in bumping an old post, but I have the exact problem that Mojo was describing. If anyone has any input, I would appreciate it!
Old 10-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lurching in 2nd gear . . . motor mounts? (VTi NA)

I have the same problem. I think it's either bad motor mounts, a sticky throttle cable, or i just need a new car.
Old 10-21-2004, 03:41 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: lurching in 2nd gear . . . motor mounts? (SpoonEK2)

MAD D16 torque Yo!
Old 10-21-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Re: lurching in 2nd gear . . . motor mounts? (ShowTymers619)

Have you ever considered it being that the clutch is burned out??.. maybe a tooth or two are bent and the clutch is slipping/ not catching well.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:31 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: lurching in 2nd gear . . . motor mounts? (EM1VtecSi)

I have it too. I haven't done that motor mount test descriped above yet. I think it's my clutch. It takes alot of gas in neutral to transition into gear without bogging down. Immediately after I let off the gas in any gear it'll bog down before it finds it's settling point. I've done a stall test and my clutch is fine. It's just extra crappy.
Old 10-21-2004, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lurching in 2nd gear . . . motor mounts? (SleepinEh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SleepinEh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not being mean no falme intended but its what you're trying to do man...its the driver. &lt;IMG NAME="icon" SRC="https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/h-emblem4.gif" BORDER="0"&gt; </TD></TR></TABLE> That def could be true but i'd go with the mounts first.... make sure there all there... the 2 tranny ones, the front driver side one..... the drive side one up top and the rear.... if they are inspect them close up look for rips.....

sounds like when i only had the rear and two top side mounts in my car.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:30 PM

im having a similar problem in 2nd gear also during HPDE going from full throttle to partial and then the car feels like its lurching back and fourth /fuel cut off in vtec 6-8000 rpm.

anyone fix their problem
Old 10-24-2004, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dchung1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dchung1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im having a similar problem in 2nd gear also during HPDE going from full throttle to partial and then the car feels like its lurching back and fourth /fuel cut off in vtec 6-8000 rpm.

anyone fix their problem</TD></TR></TABLE>

had a similar problem... only happened every once in a while but as described above... My issue happened in every gear though... I also would pop cel's and they would dissapear if I turn the car off & back on. TPS had a dead spot at a little over half throttle (multimeter would go apeshit at 3 volts then start reading again at 3.3 volts).