Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lug nut recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lug nut recommendations

I recently picked up a set of c8's for autocross duties and need some suggestions on good quality but REASONABLY priced lug nuts. I'm not interested in name brand, $200 a set lug nuts. I'm looking at hopefully closer to $50-$100. I DO NOT care about the color, as long as they're good condition (nuts don't strip and the tool doesn't split in two after a few uses). I've seen Yonaka, muteki, Gorilla, and random ebay ones in that range. Would you guys recommend any of these? I'm weary of ebay stuff, and I read a few reviews that said the muteki removal tool likes to split sometimes. Is Yonaka quality stuff? What about Gorilla?

Thanks guys!
Old 12-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lug nut recommendations

lug nuts made out of steel
Old 12-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have gorillas and the too and lugs feel very strong. I also have mutekis that are new, not even put on yet and the gorillas feel heavier and tool feels stronger than the mutekis.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive had Gorilla for several years with the only problem being the chrome plating chipping off. My favorite ones are the extended open end Trust lug nuts that are discontinued.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info guys.

Any input on the Yonaka's?
Old 12-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Honestly, just pick up a set of Muteki's. I got my set for like 40 shipped from eBay and IMO they're a great. I picked up a set of black closed-ended ones for the girlfriend's Drag rims and they haven't begun to chip or anything yet. Also, they're cold forged steel lug nuts meaning they'll be plenty strong.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
Honestly, just pick up a set of Muteki's. I got my set for like 40 shipped from eBay and IMO they're a great. I picked up a set of black closed-ended ones for the girlfriend's Drag rims and they haven't begun to chip or anything yet. Also, they're cold forged steel lug nuts meaning they'll be plenty strong.
Everytime I see you post your talking about some off branded ebay parts! I don't know that I would to listen to your opinion, obviously your standards are that of a high school kid.

My girlfriend has the Muteki lug nuts, and they are complete garbage. She didn't know any better when she bought them. But to me they feel cheap.

To answer the OP, Gorilla are a better choice from the one's you have listed! They are made of steel, the tool is durable and can stand the abuse of taking them on and off on the weekends changing wheels. On the other hand the good thing about the C8's is you can use OEM lug nuts! Can't beat that with a stick!
Old 12-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by trrbl1bmx
Everytime I see you post your talking about some off branded ebay parts! I don't know that I would to listen to your opinion, obviously your standards are that of a high school kid.

My girlfriend has the Muteki lug nuts, and they are complete garbage. She didn't know any better when she bought them. But to me they feel cheap.

To answer the OP, Gorilla are a better choice from the one's you have listed! They are made of steel, the tool is durable and can stand the abuse of taking them on and off on the weekends changing wheels. On the other hand the good thing about the C8's is you can use OEM lug nuts! Can't beat that with a stick!
If the Muteki's weren't good then why would people use them? You've got a ****ing problem. It seems like whenever I make a thread that you need to put your retarded opinion in and call me out on something. Telling me that I have the standards of a high school kid is extremely messed up. If that was true I wouldn't be using Gates Racing belts on a daily driver mildly modded Civic. Also, I've taken the Muteki's on and off multiple times and haven't had a single issue with them. If you want to spend a ton of money on lug nuts go ahead, but I'd rather put the money somewhere else. Next time you want to call me out on something just keep your mouth shut, I'd rather not hear it.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sirsol66
I recently picked up a set of c8's for autocross duties and need some suggestions on good quality but REASONABLY priced lug nuts. I'm not interested in name brand, $200 a set lug nuts. I'm looking at hopefully closer to $50-$100. I DO NOT care about the color, as long as they're good condition (nuts don't strip and the tool doesn't split in two after a few uses). I've seen Yonaka, muteki, Gorilla, and random ebay ones in that range. Would you guys recommend any of these? I'm weary of ebay stuff, and I read a few reviews that said the muteki removal tool likes to split sometimes. Is Yonaka quality stuff? What about Gorilla?

Thanks guys!
If you're seeing the tool split most likely it's because it's being used with an impact gun. You are NOT supposed to be using those removal tools with an impact of any kind. They are supposed to be removed with a standard breaker bar or ratchet and installed with a torque wrench. I've seen too many people think,"Oh hai! I have impact gun! No torque wrench for meh!"
Old 12-06-2009, 12:45 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The_Honda_Guy
If you're seeing the tool split most likely it's because it's being used with an impact gun. You are NOT supposed to be using those removal tools with an impact of any kind. They are supposed to be removed with a standard breaker bar or ratchet and installed with a torque wrench. I've seen too many people think,"Oh hai! I have impact gun! No torque wrench for meh!"
Very interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Lol, that must be why I broke 2 keys before I gave up on keyed lugs.

I'm with you on ebay parts... They're not all junk quality, and part of the fun of modding cars for me seems to be the thrill of the search for cheap but quality parts. They do exist.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
Very interesting, I wasn't aware of that. Lol, that must be why I broke 2 keys before I gave up on keyed lugs.

I'm with you on ebay parts... They're not all junk quality, and part of the fun of modding cars for me seems to be the thrill of the search for cheap but quality parts. They do exist.
The reason that those keys will break with an impact gun is because they are thin, no way around it. Reason they need to be thin is so that they will fit various rims that have extremely tight tolerances for the lug nuts. Honestly, I've broken a lot of tools being an automotive technician but I have yet to break a lug nut key because I've followed the instructions where it's stated to not use an impact gun with them.

As far as eBay goes, if you haven't realized yet eBay sells all kinds of brands - Skunk2, Blox, Apex'i, OEM, all kinds of ****. It's not like eBay only sells the cheap junk stuff. People sell that cheap junk stuff because there's so many suckers out there that don't read or research before they buy things. Almost all of the time eBay is the cheapest place to purchase things because many sellers will offer free shipping. I've yet to have a bad eBay experience because I buy from reputable sellers and research listings before I buy. Searching for the lowest price is half the fun of buying the parts, definitely agree with you there.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got mine from Autozone, ha ha. I wouldn't worry about the nuts themselves but the actual stud. I can tell you that $15 for lug nuts painted black was cool until I took my wheel off a few times and all the paint chipped off. I'm looking for some decently priced ones as well so your thread will be monitored.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by trrbl1bmx

are u high
not all ebay stuff is ****
and muteki lugs are great ive used them for years

they may not be as strong as gorilla bs but they work if u know how to tighten a lug nut

u dont tighten lugnuts that tight anyways
if ur the kind of guy that tightens lugs 200 lbs than u will be ****ing up ur threads in the studs anyways

on my daily i run some 20 dollar offbrand set and they work great never had a problem

i just know some people who dont get the idea that theirs 4 nuts holding a wheel
4x80 pounds of tq=320 which is more than plenty
Old 12-06-2009, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ohh and make sure u retighten them after like 50 miles
because new lug nuts need to get seated in and may change tq specs after some driving
Old 12-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I picked up some Blox extended lugs from Jhp last weekend. Couldn't pass up the free shipping lol and the fact that I lost the lug key to my current ones and I'd have to borrow my friend's key every time I wanted to get them off. They cost me $57.60
Old 12-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by z6htch
I picked up some Blox extended lugs from Jhp last weekend. Couldn't pass up the free shipping lol and the fact that I lost the lug key to my current ones and I'd have to borrow my friend's key every time I wanted to get them off. They cost me $57.60
I will gladly vouch for Blox Racing parts too. They're the same thing as Skunk 2, just half the price. Everything I've gotten that was Blox has been excellent.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

blox is the ****, quality products on the cheap cheap
Old 12-06-2009, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm calling my lieutenant right now and quitting my job if there are morons paying 200 bucks for a set of lug nuts... I'm getting in the lug nut business! I'm sure there's a perfectly good explination for spending that much, however, I've been using my OEM lug nuts since 1999 and they're holding up great!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

T1R Neo Chromo - $520
Old 12-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Colonel Cake Mix

fvck muteki lugs... they are junk... i have a set... one they chip and the color comes off in a matter of weeks... two the tool sucks and is cheap... three they suck

did i mention they suck

dont waste your money spend a little bit more for something more sturdy and proven
Old 12-06-2009, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by acake em1
fvck muteki lugs... they are junk... i have a set... one they chip and the color comes off in a matter of weeks... two the tool sucks and is cheap... three they suck

did i mention they suck

dont waste your money spend a little bit more for something more sturdy and proven
Hmmm... like I said, impact gun much? You can't chip the finish off them unless you're impacting them. I've been using the same set for a year now and have yet to see the finish "chip" or "come off." Also, I've had no issues with the tool at all because I haven't used an impact on it. All the people that say they suck is because they're ****ing retarded and are using an impact on them. I'll let you know when my 40 dollar set of lug nuts fails me. Let me know when your 200 dollar set of lug nuts starts giving you blow jobs, for 200 dollars they ought to.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:22 PM

type one racing makes good lug nuts that are around $100
Old 12-07-2009, 01:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i must be in the wrong

for using a 20 dollar set i bought only because my oem ones dont fit my rims

been using the same brand for years and never had a problem

im not about to drop a 100 bucks on a set of lug nuts

plus it just seems like some people are just craving attention withtheir neochrome lugs which to me look tacky
Old 12-07-2009, 01:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do ALLLLL of you autocross? Or road race or something?

Whats wrong with oem?
Unless your beating the hell out of your rims/lugs with the lateral force of autox; oem is perfectly fiiiiiine!!!

If its just for the lock then buy cheap ones its not that big a deal.
Or do ALLL of you own REGAMASTERS, WORK wheels, real SPOONS? Thats the only reason I would spend so much for wheel locks

Or are you ALLL running extended lug nuts?
Old 12-07-2009, 02:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fastrxu
Or are you ALLL running extended lug nuts?
yes, and i use blox nuts

Quick Reply: Lug nut recommendations