Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

lube up the power windows?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lube up the power windows?

Yea my power windows seem to struggle to move up and down. HOw do I make it more "free-flowing" so my windows dont stop moving at all?
Old 06-19-2003, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take off the door panels and lube the track with lithium grease
Old 06-19-2003, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: lube up the power windows? (Si Arn)

Use silicon spray.

Works the best.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Caveman74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Caveman74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take off the door panels and lube the track with lithium grease</TD></TR></TABLE>

how do I do that?
Old 06-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lube up the power windows? (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Use silicon spray.

Works the best.</TD></TR></TABLE>

do i have to take off the panel doing this too?
Old 06-19-2003, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

DO NOT REMOVE YOUR DOOR PANELS...

A. you have to remove the plastic that stop wind from PISSING through your door panels.

B. IT's TOTALLY un-neccisary

get some silicone spray lubricant and spray it in the crease at the front and back where the window slides up and down... spray it lower it raise it lower it spray it etc...

it's VERY easy and not COMPLETELY pointless in most cases...

I spent 3 hours trying to get a decent amount of lube onto the lower track with the panel off and it did NOTHING... I sprayed the silicon and they went up and down NO problem...

did the other side which I never took apart the door panel and it works JUST as good as the one I spent time on trying to lube up the bottom track.
Old 06-19-2003, 06:50 PM
ERA

Default Re: lube up the power windows? (NonovUrbizniz)

I vote for removing the door panels to get to all the tracks. The window regulator tracks can't all be reached from the sides if you just start spraying **** down in there. Then you probably get to deal with greasy *** windows everytime you roll them up, not to mention if you have tint... it's fuct too. Plus with removing the door handles, you can actually determine after lubing if that was the only problem or, if there is in fact a problem with the motor or the regulator. That plastic is not hard to get back correctly. use a hair dryer, thats what I used when replacing regulators for people.

Modified by delslo26 at 4:41 PM 7/19/2003
Old 06-19-2003, 07:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Si Arn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

do i have to take off the panel doing this too?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, the door panel. It's very simple.

Once you get it off, spray the silicon spray on the tracks that the window runs on.
Old 06-19-2003, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lube up the power windows? (delslo26)

If you use the little red tube to spray it directly into the window runner it doesn't hit the window at all..

Silicon spray is clear and NOT greasy.

Spraying silicone on the tracks which are already factory greased with a MUCH thicker grease is pointless... the silicone will NEVER penitrate the factory grease and it wouldn't lubricate the metal track properly even if the stock grease were not there. also I don't know if my doors are different from everyone elses... but getting ANY grease (non-spraying) onto the lower tracks where the rollers actually are is all but impossible.

I had the door apart and spent a GOOD long time looking and greasing EVERYTHING on the driver side.... after all the work under the door panel the thing that worked most effectively for me was spraying silicone spray directly in the rubber crease that the window rides in front and back... I then did the passenger side w/o removing the door panel in the same way and BOTH function identically and do NOT drag whatsoever anymore... both did now niether do and I haven't re-applied silicone or anything else for over 6mos...

Just saying it's worth trying to spray it from above and roll it up down a few times... saves a LOT of needless work in most cases.

just my .02
Old 06-19-2003, 08:32 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">DO NOT REMOVE YOUR DOOR PANELS...

A. you have to remove the plastic that stop wind from PISSING through your door panels.

B. IT's TOTALLY un-neccisary

get some silicone spray lubricant and spray it in the crease at the front and back where the window slides up and down... spray it lower it raise it lower it spray it etc...

it's VERY easy and not COMPLETELY pointless in most cases...

I spent 3 hours trying to get a decent amount of lube onto the lower track with the panel off and it did NOTHING... I sprayed the silicon and they went up and down NO problem...

did the other side which I never took apart the door panel and it works JUST as good as the one I spent time on trying to lube up the bottom track.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, it's not REQUIRED to remove the door panels. But MUCH EASIER to access the sliders and such by spraying directly on it with silicon spary.

Taking off the door panels takes about 1 minute anyway. You make it sound like removing the door panels is a sin or can cause damage.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:06 PM
ERA

Maybe I missed when Honda started adding silicon lubricant to window tracks? You know why? Because they NEVER DID! If someone wants to know how to fix something, HT is not the place to instruct on half-assed maintenance and repair. I am not said that the silicon on the rubber tracks doesn't work, I AM SAYING it's the ghetto way to do it. Do you think silicon spray is good for rubber? Regardless, it's not.
Old 06-21-2003, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lube up the power windows? (poison)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poison &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yes, it's not REQUIRED to remove the door panels. But MUCH EASIER to access the sliders and such by spraying directly on it with silicon spary.

Taking off the door panels takes about 1 minute anyway. You make it sound like removing the door panels is a sin or can cause damage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you are spraying the metal slieders with silicon... all I have to say is WOW...

No I'm saying you ONLY need to spray the RUBBER that the window is wedged inbetween... in the front and the back... then the windows slide up and down with NO drag which is an effect of the rubber drying out and dragging on the window NOT the tracks needing lubrication... if you had actually looked at them I'm SURE you'd have seen that they have a GOOD amount of clear/yellow greason on them... my car has over 150k on it and that grease looks brand new and I live in new england and drive it in the winter...

No silicon is not the BEST thing to put on rubber or ruberized parts but there aren't many things that are and that is what causes the drag in most cases... not dry tracks... dry rubber. as far as it being ghetto... what do you think honda dealerships (or any other shop) do when you bring the car in for dragging windows... SPRAY THE RUBBER with silicone and roll them up and down a couple times... if THAT doesn't work then you start messing around with taking the door apart and trying to lube the tracks NOT with silicone spray... you'd use white lithium if you didn't have any clear/yellow axel style grease.

and if ANYONE has any idea what would be a better lubricant for the window rubber than silicone is then let know.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You also want to make sure you clean out the tracks that the windows ride in. They get all gunked up with dirt and road dust. everytime I wash my car I take a plastic blade and a rag and clean out the rubber track. There is always all kinds of junk in there. I do the silicone thing also and on my last accord it lasted for about 12 years and the power windows are still going strong. Good Luck
Old 07-19-2003, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lube up the power windows? (fishnfst)

err... just did a search since my windows are slow going up, after reading this i'm a bit confused now...

a. so u don't spray silicone spray onto the tracks, but ONLY the rubber peice.

b. to spray the tracks u don't use silicone spray but u use lithium grease right?

c. where do i go about buying these items.

TIA
Old 07-19-2003, 12:36 PM

Default Re: lube up the power windows? (serenity)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by serenity &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">err... just did a search since my windows are slow going up, after reading this i'm a bit confused now...

b. to spray the tracks u don't use silicone spray but u use lithium grease right?

TIA</TD></TR></TABLE>

d. What is a better lubricant for rubber than silcone lube spray?

Thanks for bringing this one back...

part c. answer: Automotive parts store (Autozone, Napa, etc.)

part a. answer: That is what that guy was saying up there. Make's sense to me. I took apart an 88 prelude door to lube the tracks and they were lubed up fine... maybe they had previously been lubed after it left the factory but i doubt it. it was neglected
Old 07-19-2003, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lube up the power windows? (serenity)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by serenity &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">err... just did a search since my windows are slow going up, after reading this i'm a bit confused now...

TIA</TD></TR></TABLE>

I recomend only spraying the windows from the top side w/o dis-assembling anything first... use silicone spray lube... spray it into the channels that the window front and rear sits in...

If that doesn't fix the problem (I can't imagine it not fixing it)... THEN you take the door apart and lube the track...

To be frank I can't remember what the actual grease they use but it's super long lasting and NOT lithium... I wouldn't recomend putting lithium on top of the factory grease as you don't know how it will react... but I'm sure if you call a honda dealer you can find out what kind of grease it is....
Old 07-19-2003, 03:54 PM

Ok, my front passenger is slow... but I just got my windows tinted... it was expensive and I don't want this spray to ruin the tint...

So can anyone truthfully tell me if it will help my window while not ruining my tint?
Old 07-19-2003, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lube up the power windows? (MooreVTEC)

I have no idea but tint is usually pretty sensitive to anything... and unfortunately doing a test bit may not help as some things cause tint to blue over time...

hope someone else knows...

You could ask the guy or call 3m (or whoever manufactured your tint). They'd probobly know for sure.
Old 07-19-2003, 06:28 PM

my passenger is slow as well, i have a 96 EX. I thought it was supposed to be slower than the drivers. Is this true?
Old 07-19-2003, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can I use WD-40?
Old 07-19-2003, 08:05 PM

Default Re: (T-RO)

Yea, But don't let it get on the glass
Old 07-19-2003, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why not?
Old 01-31-2004, 08:10 PM

Default Re: (T-RO)

im wondering if this could be my problem? my passenger windows is really slow n drags and the drivers side was a lil better but last nite i went to sonic and rolled down the window to order food, as i went to roll it back up it got stuck or something somehow and it ended up coming out of the track/guide (the rubber part it slides between)...well me n my bud spent last nite figurin out what to do n finally got it back in the tracks or guides or whatever and i rolled it down n up, then down, then as i was comin back up it did it again..after readin this im thinkin maybe the rubber was so dry it was "grabbing" one side of my window n holdin it as the other side tried to go up, therefore that pulled it out of the guide or whatever???