Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lsvtec timing help and how to set cams to TDC if using aftermarket cam gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 Lsvtec timing help and how to set cams to TDC if using aftermarket cam gears

Ok my name is Chad. I am new to all of this so please stay with me and give me any help you might have. I bought a 94 civic off craigslist and it has a lsvtec swap. I was told it has type R internals if that makes since. It is a B18a1 block with a B16 head. It was running fine for about five months and then it started smoking so I pulled the spark plugs out and sure enough I could see water ontop of the pistons. So I took it home and went and ordered a lsvtec goldeneagle headgasket and dowel pins. Then I started removing the head. Before doing anything I put the crank at TDC and then set the cam gears with the marks that are on them. Then removed the belt and then valve cover and so on. After removing the head I noticed that the dowel pins that were there were on the intake side and they look like they were the wrong size and the headgasket was crap. So I removed them. Then I sent the head to be resurficed. Then I started putting everything back together the way it came off other then I put the dowel pons on thE exhaust side. Then after I had the head on and everything I lined the marks on the cam gears back up like I had them when I removed the belt and made sure the crank was still TDC and then installed the T belt. After everything was back together I wentto crank it up and it started but then pooped out on me. An now it just turns over and acts like it wants to start but don't. I have no clue what's going on. I know it's timing but I am a real noob at all of this so if someone could give me a good detailed run down on how to make sure my cams are TDC and the cam gears are lined up right. They are aftermarket cam gears. And where to set the dizzy. I really need the help. Like for real as u can see I am lost. Please help me.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lsvtec timing help and how to set cams to TDC if using aftermarket cam gears

You'll need a timing light to adjust the dizzy... and the adjustable cam gears should have tdc marks?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Lsvtec timing help and how to set cams to TDC if using aftermarket cam gears

Ok but will the timing light work even though I can't get it running? And the cam gears do have marks but how do I know the cam gears are there right. I mean how can I tell how they need to be lined up.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Trial User

Please anyone with a good run down on steps I need to take to make sure everything is lined up and good to go. I am very new to hondas and I am trying to learn more and more and I am stuck with a car that won't run. It's very close just off somewhere and I can't seem to figure it out at all. Please help. If your in NC I will pay you to come by and fix itLol.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Trial User

Come on people please help.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

put the cam gears at "0", if the motor is popping its 180 degrease off.. roatate the crank a full 180 degrese and u should be on the right stroke, if its not 180 off let me know,

when i do timing i throw everything a tooth off.. and then it lines up perfect , nice and tight.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First step is to set the crank to TDC #1 cyl. #1 is the one closest to the timing belt, you will know its at TDC(top dead center) on compression by the pointer lining up with the mark on the block and timing belt drive pully(the one on the crank inside the timing cover) If you can not see any marks inside the timing cover, remove the spark plug for #1 and use a coat hanger to feel where the piston is and make sure its on top of its stroke and the rocker arms are free(this means compression stroke) if you cant wiggle the rocker arms it means its still on either intake or exhaust.

Once the crank is lined up, install the cam gears with the '0' mark pointing straight up, there should also be 2 hash marks at the 3 O'clock and 9 O'clock positions, those 2 marks should be flush with the top of the head, like the valve cover would sit. should look something like this -> (_ I _) (_ I _) Once thats done, if you did it correctly your cam timing will be set up properly.

If it still does not start after that, check your ignition firing order before you move the distributor. Moving too many things before making sure everything is lined up only causes headaches.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:56 AM
Trial User

I don't think it's 180 off because it started up twice if I pulled the top not out the dizzy and pushed it all the way to the firewall.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:07 AM
Trial User

So I put the crank at TDC then I put the am gears to 0 0 and the marks across. Now do you have the valve cover off when doing this? So I can move the Rocker arms? And to make sure I understand your you want the rocker arms to move right? And witch way should I wiggle them? Up an down or side to side? Man thanks so much fo the help. I really need it.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

He's just saying, you should be able to wiggle them around meaning the valves are closed. Take your spark plugs out, get a flashlight and look down in the cylinders. Your #1 and #4 cylinder should be all the way up, make sure your crank mark is pointing at the other crank mark. Set your cams to "0" and line your cam gears up to tdc position. put your belt on and hand rotate the crank several times to make sure your lines still match up. Then adjust your dizzy. x2 on the firing order. it's 1,3,4,2. make sure you have them in the right location on the dizzy... If your cam gears and crank are lined up correctly you should be able to start it pending you have the firing order correct, then adjust the dizzy to get your timing perfect.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hyperblu
He's just saying, you should be able to wiggle them around meaning the valves are closed. Take your spark plugs out, get a flashlight and look down in the cylinders. Your #1 and #4 cylinder should be all the way up, make sure your crank mark is pointing at the other crank mark. Set your cams to "0" and line your cam gears up to tdc position. put your belt on and hand rotate the crank several times to make sure your lines still match up. Then adjust your dizzy. x2 on the firing order. it's 1,3,4,2. make sure you have them in the right location on the dizzy... If your cam gears and crank are lined up correctly you should be able to start it pending you have the firing order correct, then adjust the dizzy to get your timing perfect.
i couldnt have said it better... YES u need the valve cover off..
Old 04-03-2011, 08:24 AM
Trial User

Thank you so much for all you guys help. I'm about to set it all up so wish me luck. I think I have a very good idea of what needs to happen to get it started.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Trial User

One more quick question? Does all the rocker arms on both cam need to wiggle? Or just the number 1 and 4 cyl? I'm starting Q my own thoughts.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:59 AM
Trial User

Come on guys don't give up yet I'm almost there.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Trial User

Ok got the car running but now when I went to drive it, it seems like it spoters at about 3rpms. Like it doesn't want to go over that RMP? What you you think you could be? Please help.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:55 AM
Trial User

Please someone help me out. I am soooo close to perfect. I could it still b timing!?
Old 04-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the misfire issue could be alot of things... I'm glad you got it running though... Did you adjust your dizzy? any cel's? If you have a misfire it should throw a light... Most likely, your timing is off. On my jetta it was a tooth off and ran great, just wouldn't go over 30mph... Sounds like you need to whip out and timing light and adjust that dizzy...