Default lsvtec

id like to know more about lsvtec...

post some pros and cons and juss some plain advise

what block and what head whould i go with... so on and so fourth
Old 12-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: lsvtec (million)

Read through the forum. There's lots of info on this subject.

Try the all motor forum. There are tons of info there. Even a couple of threads with an exact part list.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lsvtec (whal3_p3nis)

ls vtec raises your compression mainly because you also need to add vtec(b16) pistons.

im not sure exactly where power is gained if it even is

ls low-end vs lsvtec low-end?
and ls high-end vs lsvtec-vtec?

i have never seen this stated

Old 12-30-2006, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: lsvtec (dafuzzbudd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dafuzzbudd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ls vtec raises your compression mainly because you also need to add vtec(b16) pistons.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

vTeC pIsToNs y0!!!11!!!! w3rd
Old 12-30-2006, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lsvtec (speedooo)

lsvtec

B18a/b block with a B16a/b or b18c1/c5

some might argue it makes more power then a B18C1

I'm about to add vtec head on my LS this spring
Old 12-31-2006, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lsvtec (Daniel-sanB1)

is it the same only until you hit vtec?

how would an ls turbo rate against a lsvtec turbo?
Old 12-31-2006, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dafuzzbudd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it the same only until you hit vtec?

how would an ls turbo rate against a lsvtec turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

IMO, if you're going to boost, stick with a non-vtec setup. If you were to port out the head and run some decent cams you would see better torque down low in the rpms.

Old 12-31-2006, 11:46 AM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dafuzzbudd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ls vtec raises your compression mainly because you also need to add vtec(b16) pistons.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

you dont have to change the pistons, but it's a good idea if you want more power.

here's a nice graph showing what can be gained from doing a proper lsvtec

from this thread: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1850050
Old 01-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lsvtec (doood)

is that graph with changed pistons?
for non to vtec i thought you HAD to change the pistons
maybe im thinking of only d-series

so we all could a gree that lsturbo has more potential than a lsvtec turbo?
Old 01-01-2007, 11:37 AM

u dont have to change pistons its a preference, if u want higher or lower compression then u change the pistons.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: lsvtec (hatch77)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hatch77 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

IMO, if you're going to boost, stick with a non-vtec setup. If you were to port out the head and run some decent cams you would see better torque down low in the rpms.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

The main reason people go LS/VTEC is if they're going to boost. Though IMO I think it makes a pretty good daily driver.

Though my views disagree with many others as I also think the plain LS is a great daily driver .

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dafuzzbudd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is that graph with changed pistons?

so we all could a gree that lsturbo has more potential than a lsvtec turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe you have no idea what you're talking about. A mini-me swap (D series) <u>NOR</u> an LS to LS/VTEC require you to change the pistons.

You can slap a mini-me head on a D series much like you can w/ an LS/V - same principal.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dafuzzbudd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is that graph with changed pistons?

so we all could a gree that lsturbo has more potential than a lsvtec turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, I disagree (canceling your "all" statement). You'd be surprised how many people go LS/VTEC JUST b/c they're boosting.

It's a weird misconception that a lot of people seem to have that VTEC is bad for boost or something. Everybody's all like "NA = LS/V, FI = LS" - which is completely *** backwards like most of the rumors floating around.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dafuzzbudd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it the same only until you hit vtec?

how would an ls turbo rate against a lsvtec turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll notice a bit more power, the B16 head breathes better than the LS head, though obviously when you crack VTEC you'll have more power as the engine will run more efficiently after the change of the lobes. Though just staying under VTEC you'll notice a power gain. Even more if you put higher compression pistons in there (obviously).

<u>ls low-end vs lsvtec low-end?
and ls high-end vs lsvtec-vtec?</u>

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Bolded Part:
You don't NEED to add "VTEC" pistons. Regular, stock *** LS pistons will work fine.

<u>Underlined Part:</u>
I'm not really sure what you mean by that. Every engine can be altered to be better at low end opposed to high end and vice versa.

ANY engine.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lsvtec (Syndacate)

thanks you Syndacate

I was too lazy too correct all the crap that he said
Old 01-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lsvtec (Daniel-sanB1)

i must have read that incorrectly somewhere because i had that piston thing stuck in my head

thanks for all the good info
Old 01-01-2007, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if u put b16 pistons into a lsblock, would u need to resleeve or something? since its 1.6liter pistons going into a 1.8liter block?
Old 01-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lqd44)

you dont have to sleeve or anything they are both 81mm bore, the .2 liters of displacement come from the throws of the crankshaft
Old 01-02-2007, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (PhatAcuraIntegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhatAcuraIntegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you dont have to sleeve or anything they are both 81mm bore, the .2 liters of displacement come from the throws of the crankshaft</TD></TR></TABLE>

x 20.

as answer to:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lqd44 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if u put b16 pistons into a lsblock, would u need to resleeve or something? since its 1.6liter pistons going into a 1.8liter block?</TD></TR></TABLE>

(no, you wouldn't)

@ others: No prob...any time...feel free to IM me any time...
Old 01-02-2007, 07:46 AM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

The LS/VTEC motor consists of a B18A or B18B block and a B16A head, B18C head, or a Type-R head. Basically, it is still an LS motor, but with performance cams and a port & polished head. Also, the B16A intake manifold flows better than the B18A intake manifold so airflow into the motor is greatly increased. Basically in a CRX a B18A powered CRX (1.8L DOHC non-VETC motor) has a lot of low-end power to accelerate down the ¼ mile. Off the line, the B18A CRX will easily beat the B16A CRX (assuming both are stock or have the same bolt-ons). However, on the long stretch, such as on the freeway, the DOHC VTEC really shines and pulls the car hard at high speeds for more horsepower. Now imagine getting the beat of both worlds the LS/VETC motor, which utilizes the B18A, block (for all the same torque) and the B16A head (for all the top end horsepower). That is basically what the LS/VETC motor is. In addition, others who have built a LS/VETC motor have prepped it to full race status and have already run 11.9-sec ¼ mile times, all motor. With a stock LS/VETC motor, plan on not revving the motor past 7500 rpm, and expect low 14s to high-mid 13-sec ¼ mile times.

Why the LS/VETC motor?

B18A or B bottom-end has longer stroke thus capable of generating better torque response than VETC bottom-ends.

B18A or B top-end has port and cam limitations to produce high-end horsepower, although B18B is slightly higher.

Unavailability of billet aftermarket cams for B18A or B. All aftermarket cams for B18A or B are reground cams and are notorious for accelerated wears on top-end components. Also, cars with aftermarket high lift cams usually have rough idle which affects derivability. And price for head porting and cams is much higher than the LS/VETC conversion. With the LS/VETC conversion, smooth idle is maintained while flat torque and high-end horsepower is maximized.

Availability of factory performance parts for VETC top-end is more readily available which include Type-R cams, manifolds, and other components.

Disadvantages and limitations

Require complete engine overhaul for installation.

Rev limitations similar to B18A or B.

Hope it helps bro

Old 01-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (cwf1988)

the deal is, when you mod your LS either FI or vtec you want to drop you compression down. its because of the high compression that the motor is less reliable.

LS reliable
LS/V less reliable
LS/FI even more less
LS/V FI not at all

for each, if you can get the compression right, you ***** gonna last forever.

http://www.zealautowerks.com/dseries.html

Old 01-02-2007, 11:57 AM
been there done that

Default Re: (THC07)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THC07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the deal is, when you mod your LS either FI or vtec you want to drop you compression down. its because of the high compression that the motor is less reliable.

LS reliable
LS/V less reliable
LS/FI even more less
LS/V FI not at all

for each, if you can get the compression right, you ***** gonna last forever.

http://www.zealautowerks.com/dseries.html

</TD></TR></TABLE>

higher compression does not mean less reliable. how reliable it is all depends on how you build and tune it!

you can blow up any one of those engine combo's if you just slap parts together with no tuning and expect it to make power.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: lsvtec (million)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by million &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">id like to know more about lsvtec...

post some pros and cons and juss some plain advise</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pro: I'm not a mod here anymore

Con: You're still alive

Advice: Take a bath with a hairdryer
Old 01-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PhatAcuraIntegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhatAcuraIntegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you dont have to sleeve or anything they are both 81mm bore, the .2 liters of displacement come from the throws of the crankshaft</TD></TR></TABLE>

but wouldnt that decrease the displacement?
Old 01-02-2007, 02:22 PM
been there done that

Default Re: (lqd44)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lqd44 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but wouldnt that decrease the displacement?</TD></TR></TABLE>

b16 and b18 pistons are interchangeable. yes a shorter throw crank would decrease displacement.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (doood)

Read here

http://www.phatwhippincrx.20m.com/custom4.html
Old 01-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (doood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">b16 and b18 pistons are interchangeable. yes a shorter throw crank would decrease displacement.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Displacement is just the total volume of all cylinders with the piston at BDC. So when you allow the piston to drop down lower or increase the bore you increase displacement, but at the same time that amount that you drop the rod also has to go up when the piston comes up to TDC. Correct me if wrong

Old 01-02-2007, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how do u increase stroke? hehe im so threadjackin, sry, but im trying to picture all of this in my head, but its kinda confusing when u try to incorporate all the different factors that change compression.. imma have to draw it out or something..

Quick Reply: lsvtec