Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LSD Transmissions ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD Transmissions ...

Ok I am getting ahead of myself here but I have a (pardon the ignorance) stupid question to ask. I know allot of people debate over B Series / D Series engines. I am not looking to start one of those threads at all here. What I am trying to figure out is for a guy like me who likes his SOHC D Series fuel consumption over the B Series are there such things as LSD transmissions for D Series? Now I have limited to little knowledge of what LSD does but when it comes down to it I know the D Series transmissions are a weak point. Can anybody shed some light on this for me and / or laugh in my face? LOL ... Rigth now this is simply an idea I wanna research for future considerations

Old 06-04-2008, 02:15 PM

Default Re: LSD Transmissions ... (Socratez)

It is very hard to find but i saw a 92-95 jdm LSD tranny on ebay for around $600. shipping prolly more . It transfers power to both wheels, ask mistabone he is the tranny guru here and on Dseries org site. Obx makes one but from the posts i've seen OBX quality on them has dropped ALOT for lastest versions on them $360 or so on ebay. good luck
Old 06-04-2008, 02:33 PM

So OBX = Junk? I am not a fan of junk hahah (Who is) I would much rather just get into something that I know is going to last me and not have issues. I don't like headaches either ... LSD a good idea? should i abandon this idea?

Old 06-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey gaswize i dont see any differences in gas milelage in B's or D's if they're both 1.6L. I had a B16 integra that saved 5 times the gas as any of my friends DX's and EX's, and it'll still tear them up. My LS/vtec now saves major gas too. but it probably eat as much as and other single cam. but clearly i see no difference in gas mileage. only that my car takes 42 dollars to fill up and them domestic takes 80 and i still beat them.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Socratez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So OBX = Junk? I am not a fan of junk hahah (Who is) I would much rather just get into something that I know is going to last me and not have issues. I don't like headaches either ... LSD a good idea? should i abandon this idea?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wouldnt say there junk there are a lot of people on here that run them with out any problems. They are about half the price of the quafe lsd. you might need to do a little prep work on an obx to shim the diff correctly. I installed one in my hatch last year and have had no problem what so ever. Oh and as far as the d seires trans being a week point I will just say this if you don't slam shift, shift without using the clutch, or do neutral 3k drag launchs then they hold up quite well. The only reason that I rebuilt mine was it had 150k on it and the isb started making noise from auto Xing the car and I wanted an lsd

Modified by instructor74 at 5:11 PM 6/4/2008
Old 06-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1922582

do a search for archived content created by member "Bense" he's got the real facts.

also, if you have an ex transmission (or a case from an EX) then you can put the OBX in for $360 and be set. they are the off brand but they've continued to improve their design and quality level since they began production.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:25 PM

Default Re: LSD Transmissions ... (hondamark35)

Can one of you explain what benefits I'll see with LSD? I guess i just thought it would be a logical upgrade to the car but maybe i am just a fool?

Old 06-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

i don't know if you're familiar with the way a normal differential works... so try this link for the basics http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm it also includes LSD and locking diffs.

the jist: for normal driving an open differential is fine. but for more demanding driving like drag racing, 4X4 off-roading (just to be thorough), and road course type stuff, you want both wheels working instead of the one with least traction just spinning. if a wheel leaves the ground or you take off from the line and one wheel begins to spin, an open diff will chose the wheel of least resistance and you loose traction. with LSD, it limits this "slipping" and splits power between wheels so the one with traction will move you along.

basically better traction beyond the effects of wide sporty tires and good suspension.