Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LSD good or bad? Shorter gears Not so good!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: West Bakalakadaka St., Durka Durka Mohammed Gihad, WMDs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD good or bad? Shorter gears Not so good!

yeah, I know everybodies gonna chime in w/ LSD rocks but, I have a suggestion for ya. I was sitting at home a couple of nights ago dicking around on GT3 doing the 0-400m race w/ my type R. Now I know it's a game but, hear me out. I adjusted the LSD every which way I could but, taking it off the car would get me better times. Also, I tried this w/ the R34 Skyline V-spec II that has 1005 hp. It was also the same story. On GT3 it said that LSD was majorly for entering and exiting corners so your inside tires don't spin. Also, another thing I realized is that the longer I made my gear ratios in the tranny the faster times I would get. I always thought shorter gears were better for dragging but, this was totally opposite. I even changed the final drive gear to 2.000. Also, an Improvement in time. Anyways, gimme your comments and try for yourself if you own GT3.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LSD good or bad? Shorter gears Not so good! (VogueSilverHX)

But... its a game.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my car b4 it had The ITR 4.785 FD and LSD ran a 14.5. now that i got it on there my times dropped to 14.0 flat. now with more bolt ons and tuning im hittin 13.7. here is your REAL life results not a Game
Old 06-23-2004, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlifestyle)

i also question how good LSD is. i understand that it prevents wheel slippage right? can't you just adjust your launching at the track and get better times... the way i see it it is one more thing that you have to spin to get moving.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bumpincivic20)

oh and with the gearing... make your gearing on GT3 so that you just hit redline when you cross the finish line. too short of gears aren't good obviously, and too long sucks too. you gotta tune that bitch just right
Old 06-23-2004, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

More power+less wheel spin=more speed.

Picture it this way...

You drop at 4000 without LSD, you have less power, and you don't spin the tires.
You drop at 7000 with LSD, you have more power, you don't spin the tires.
Which will go faster?

I know the numbers are probally off. Just trying to give an example.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm...that is very interesting..thanks for the insight on both the real world and the game (seriously..i've been trying to get better times). anyway...a few friends i've talked to said the same thing. they actually think they did worst with LSD. anyone else with experience in this matter?
Old 06-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: LSD good or bad? Shorter gears Not so good! (VogueSilverHX)

So your question concerns LSD and shorter vs. longer gearing in REAL life though, right?

I'm an avid GT3er, but I do not base my real life car knowledge on what happens in the game.

LSD is not made specifically for drag though, so in real life it might make a bit of a difference, but not nearly as much as a good drag slick. If you have an open diff your 60 foot times (your launch) will be much better if you simply throw on slicks vs. an LSD.

LSDs are felt the most during cornering though, and if you ever have the chance to buy a good one (not Phantom ****) then I suggest you do so.

Also the gearing thing.

You can have too short of gearing in real life if your focus is drag racing.

Example?

I used to have an ATS 4.929FD in my Type R tranny. I ran a set of 20'' M/T slicks (very short - shorter than street tires) which also acts like a higher FD, which shortens your effective gearing overall, at the dragstrip one time and I got interesting results.

With the 4.929FD and 20'' slicks my car would not trap over 99mph in the 1/4 mile. I was crossing the finish line past my peak whp mark at roughly 9000-9200rpm with a bone stock B18C5 swap with only i/e and ECU program.

I eventually broke that 4.929FD and tossed in the stock ITR 4.400 and used the same 20'' M/T slicks again at the dragstrip.

I was trapping 101-104mph with the stocker and same slicks.

The 4.929FD was awesome on the street with 205-50-15 tires though, and it made exiting corners better because it would allow me to rip through each gear quicker.

Bottom line?

Generally speaking - [b]limited slip diffs and shorter gearing are better for acceleration and overall driving, namely cornering.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:43 PM
kNOwLedGeDA9

Default Re: (krazn)

The truth is...Honda's 1.5 way LSD was not meant for drag racing. If your car has good stiff suspension and good tires with even tire pressure, your car shouldn't "peg-leg" at all. I launch my car at 6,0000 RPM with no LSD and Falken Azenis and it feels the same as launching my friends car that has a stock LSD. However, the Honda LSD has pretty significant advantages in cornering. Say, for example you are accelerating through a right turn that does not require braking. The weight of your car is shifted to the drivers side tire, and there is no weight on the passenger side tire. At full throttle, a car without LSD (like mine) will slightly spin the passenger tire, causing a loss of power. A car with LSD will distribute wheel spin evenly and not lose any power. Overall, unless your motor has ALOT of power, there will not be very much of a difference at all between non LSD and factory honds LSD for launches. But, if you have alot of power, an aftermarket LSD like a Quaife, Cusco, or Kaaz will give faster times in drag races.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kNOwLedGeDA9)

thanks guys, very helpful info. I know GT3 is just a game but, it seems to be the most realistic game out there. That's what made me wonder if the same was true in real life. Since I can't change gear ratios rip out lsd on the exact same day w/ exact same temps and all. The game was just a forum to try things out. Oh, if anybody is into drifting and owns GT3 get the S-15 Silvia turn off traction control and stability control, set your vcd (or whatever it's called) to Simulation and get Simulation tires, and go to the Complex Course. That's more like true drifting than anyother game can compete w/. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I just have way too much time on my hands. Very good info though.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: (VogueSilverHX)

Tom summed it up.

Did you ever try a FF car on gt3 with a lsd on a road course, like a sir2? Your times are probably 1-2 seconds slower with the lsd, than without.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (666)

Yeah, I got some pretty mean cars on there. Including, NSX Zero type S, RSX Type S, Del Sol SiR II, CTR, ITR (usdm & jdm), numerous Skylines and silvias, But, my favorite is the indy car. Just for pure fun. Anyways, since this thread is kinda wondering off topic. It should end unless anyone has anything else to add about REAL lsd or gearing.