Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LSD Comparisons/Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 05:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LSD Comparisons/Experiences

Does anyone have any extended experience with any of the three (3) non-OEM LSD's that fit these cars: Quaife, Kaaz, or Phantom Grip? The Phantom Grip looks like an exercise in futility until you start reading the posts of users in other auto forums (e.g. Saturn). The other two appear to be heavier duty than the OEM but cost $750 - $1000. Anybody use these or know someone that does? Anyone work on them? How do they compare to OEM/JDM?
Old 01-02-2003, 07:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: LSD Comparisons/Experiences (chopkins)

OEM ITR/CTR LSD's are awesome units, and I wouldn't even think about getting an aftermarket one unless I was REALLY serious about racing. OEM gives plenty of traction and they're decently strong up to about 300whp (from what I've read..)

OEM LSD's work well, and you even get to keep using honda MTF!
Old 01-02-2003, 07:40 AM
Please don't hurt me!

i haven't tried any of the above lsd's

but I have heard only good things on Quaife,

also has any 1 tried cusco's lsd
Old 01-02-2003, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have any hands-on experience with the LSDs, but can pass on what I have heard through others. First, don't even consider the Phantom Grip. Basically, all it is is a spring that helps to tie the two axles together. Major POS. Second, I have heard of people who run the Kaaz with success, and others who have blown them up. Granted, with enough power you can destroy any LSD, but i'd rather go with something with a better track record. Third, I have only heard good things about Quaife. From my understanding, they have a lifetime warranty, even if you race them. That speaks alot for the company's confidence in their product.

The factory LSD is pretty good for stock applications, but I have heard they are prone to breaking in race applications (like getting 1 wheel off the ground). For the money, I don't believe the Quaife can be beat. They usually retail around $800 depending on the application, while you'll be hard pressed to find a used factory LSD for less than $650. I'd invest in the best. Of course, all of this is my opinion.

B96v6
Old 01-02-2003, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had OEM LSD in all my cars, from the VTI D15B sohc to the JDM B18C, all were OEM...oem diff do work well, especially when you compare it to the non-LSD diffs. but are prone to breakage when wheel hopping, or wheel jumps over a bump while accelerating (thats what happened to mine when it cracked in half)

don't bother with a phantom grip which uses a stock diff and its teeth to spread the power. stock diffs are very weak.

KAAZ is a true racing diff, and requires maintnace proper break in, proper fluid, and has a service life. its advanatge is that its adjustable and can be set to be 1.5-2 way style, its also rebuildable and adjustable on spreading power. on the streets its noisy and doen't really carry warranty as its a race part.

Quaife is simliarly to the OEM diff but much toughter and with lifetime warranty, it should be a your choice as well. no unit will give you that kind of backing or feel or noise levels of the oem unit, but this part.

also to add, OEM units found in VTI (s20), B16A trannys (YS1, Y21, S21) use a non convetional types of ring gear as well a counter shaft and LSD. how do i know? I tried to upgrade to higher FD, and it doesn't accept anything aftermarket. tried to rebuilt my broken LSD tranny as well, so i got oem non-lsd diff, again non of the parts fit.

Old 01-02-2003, 09:26 AM
New User

The hallucinations are rather disorienting. I wouldn't recommend it while driving

Seriously though, I have the Quaife in my hybrid and it made a world of difference. Well worth the $$$. If you are road racing or AutoX I would recommend a gear type LSD like the Quaife or stock TypeR. The clutch pack types like Kazz are better suited to drag racing IMO.

The Phantom Grip is a piece of ****.

The most noticable advantage of a limitted slip is being able to pull through corners using the throttle. Its just amazing how much control it gives you.

Mike
Old 01-02-2003, 09:28 AM
Future Texas Boy

I have the KAAZ unit, but haven`t fired up the new motor yet. I`ll have a review in a few days or so.

Ryan
Old 01-02-2003, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cool....this is good to know. i was wondering about the phantom grip lsd so now it's confirmed. no wonder they're cheaper than the others. you get what you pay for i guess. is the quaife lsd a gear or clutch type??? anyone know for sure???
Old 01-02-2003, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LSD Comparisons/Experiences (acydphryck)

is the quaife lsd a gear or clutch type??? anyone know for sure???
the quaife atb differential is a gear type differential.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LSD Comparisons/Experiences (92sleepR)

The most noticable advantage of a limitted slip is being able to pull through corners using the throttle. Its just amazing how much control it gives you.

Mike
I would take Mike's word. He said the same thing to me last year at a BBQ when I asked him about the Quaife. I bought the Quaife a few months ago and WOW! This thing pulls helps me pull hard out of corners even with my stock 13s. Dumping the clutch and just letting the tires spin laid out two nice tire marks all the way through as well.

Quaife
Old 01-02-2003, 11:17 AM

Default Re: LSD Comparisons/Experiences (B96v6)

The factory LSD is pretty good for stock applications, but I have heard they are prone to breaking in race applications (like getting 1 wheel off the ground). For the money, I don't believe the Quaife can be beat. They usually retail around $800 depending on the application, while you'll be hard pressed to find a used factory LSD for less than $650. I'd invest in the best. Of course, all of this is my opinion.

B96v6
I just picked up a used 98 spec one on honda-tech for 300$. Even came with bearings..

Otherwise, I've seen them right a 400$, anything more is too much.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LSD Comparisons/Experiences (Nameless)

B96v6

I just picked up a used 98 spec one on honda-tech for 300$. Even came with bearings..

Otherwise, I've seen them right a 400$, anything more is too much.
Well, I retract my previous statement and turn back to my humble pie.

Good to know.

B96v6
Old 01-03-2003, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LSD Comparisons/Experiences (indifferent hybridreams)

Quaife
I love my Quaife