Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ls won't start!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Ls won't start!!!!

Ok, so here my situation!!! I just put an ob2 Ls swap into my 1996 civic dx.. Plugged everything up except for the crankshaft sensor and the secondary O2 sensor... I have a total of at least 5 grounds on the motor to the chasis... The problem is I don't get any type of crank at all... Even wen I put the key in the ON position the check engine light does NOT light up on the dashboard like every Honda does... So I thought it was short grounds so i added 2 but still nothing!!! Can any body shed any light on this??? I believe I'm using a auto Dx harness but the ecu is a M/T and the only difference is that the harness has one more plug for the Iac valve but the motor should still crank over!!!! Please help!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls won't start!!!!

Originally Posted by mayanctr
Ok, so here my situation!!! I just put an ob2 Ls swap into my 1996 civic dx.. Plugged everything up except for the crankshaft sensor and the secondary O2 sensor... I have a total of at least 5 grounds on the motor to the chasis... The problem is I don't get any type of crank at all... Even wen I put the key in the ON position the check engine light does NOT light up on the dashboard like every Honda does... So I thought it was short grounds so i added 2 but still nothing!!! Can any body shed any light on this??? I believe I'm using a auto Dx harness but the ecu is a M/T and the only difference is that the harness has one more plug for the Iac valve but the motor should still crank over!!!! Please help!!!
Old 11-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check, fuel, spark ..check that your getting signal form the key to the starter
Old 11-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could be a dead ecu
Old 12-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am getting fuel, but not spark because the motor foes not crank, I have tried 2 ECUs, how do I check to see if I'm getting signal from the key to the starter??? Wen I put the key in the ON position the check engine light doesn't even light up like it's normally suppose to!!!! Any other ideas??
Old 12-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Check whether the rubber stopper that presses on the safety starter switch at the top of the clutch pedal has fallen out or is broken.

Also check whether the CEL bulb is burned out or has been removed.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So Ronj@ht, check for the rubber stopper??? Is that where the red arrow is pointing at???? Wat are tge odds of that going??? Still should at least the check engine light still come on wen the key is in the ON position???? I'll check the bulb n for the rubber stopper!!! Anything else???
Old 12-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So Ronj@ht, check for the rubber stopper??? Is that where the red arrow is pointing at????
Yep
Old 12-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Trial User

I was browsing these boards earlier because I had the same problem with my 98 Civic and I saw the diagram you posted Ron and sure enough that stupid little rubber piece had broken off. Went to Autozone and they didn't have right part, so instead I bought these little rubber stopper things that were almost similar and it's a perfect fit. I really could have used anything though. The only hard part was getting to it.. I had to almost take the entire pedal off, but I was able to do it with just taking out the main bolt. Anyway I registered to say thanks. I know nothing about cars and this saved me some money. The same thing came off my brake pedal and I paid $50 to get it replaced, and that one is WAYY easier to get to than the clutch one.
Old 12-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LongWindedUserN
I was browsing these boards earlier because I had the same problem with my 98 Civic and I saw the diagram you posted Ron and sure enough that stupid little rubber piece had broken off. Went to Autozone and they didn't have right part, so instead I bought these little rubber stopper things that were almost similar and it's a perfect fit. I really could have used anything though. The only hard part was getting to it.. I had to almost take the entire pedal off, but I was able to do it with just taking out the main bolt. Anyway I registered to say thanks. I know nothing about cars and this saved me some money. The same thing came off my brake pedal and I paid $50 to get it replaced, and that one is WAYY easier to get to than the clutch one.

And welcome to Honda-Tech.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll take q look at it tomorrow and hopefully that's all it really is.. I'll keep u guys posted asap!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Ron J@ht... I checked the rubber stopper n it's getting contact. So it's not broken or lose.... Any other ideas of wat it could be???
Old 12-02-2010, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Member wen I put the key in the ON position The check engine light never comes on!!!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Member wen I put the key in the ON position The check engine light never comes on!!!
Has the bulb been removed?

Old 12-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I will doubt check but I highly doubt it, I mean would the motor not crank if the bulb was removed??? So I change the dizzy n then I try to crank it again and this time a noise was coming from the ecu, n the speedometer was going up as I was turning the key.... Any ideas???
Old 12-02-2010, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I appreciate the help Ronj@ht
Old 12-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean would the motor not crank if the bulb was removed???
The CEL is just an indicator. It's not needed for anything to function. Some car sellers remove the CEL bulb to mask problems.

So I change the dizzy n then I try to crank it again and this time a noise was coming from the ecu, n the speedometer was going up as I was turning the key.... Any ideas???
Do you need to push the clutch pedal down for the starter to crank the engine?
Old 12-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Try jumping 12 volts from your battery to the starter switch to make sure the starter is good. It's not uncommon for that spade terminal to slip off causing your symptoms.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

At Ron@ht: Yea I did press down on the clutch pedal and still nothing!!!

At itsnotfast: yea I changed the starter and still nothing...

Today I changed the dizzy and then I went to go crank it again and still nothing but I did hear a noise coming from the ECU, n the speedometer was jumping up as I was turning the key!!! Any idea why it did that????