Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ls/vtec smoking? please help

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls/vtec smoking? please help

i got a ls block and rebuilt it with new main bearings , rod bearings and rings also new valve seals. i got the engine back together with assembly lube and put it back in the car added 5w30 oil and cranked it a lil to build up oil pressure. i started it up and i expected it to smoke a while while it burned off all the assy lube and things like that but now i have 60 miles on the engine and i havnt taken it past 3k rpm. every time i start it up over night it smokes for alittle while when im driving but will go away after a while. are the rings still seating or may i have a problem ?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls/vtec smoking? please help (blackcrx16)

if you cranked it befor the rings and seals set your gonna have to maybe reseal it. hope you waited befor cranking it over
Old 09-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls/vtec smoking? please help (kayelemenohpee)

explain this more because i dont understand how you will get the rings to seat on the cylinder walls unless you start the car and let it run and drive it at low rpms
Old 09-17-2007, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls/vtec smoking? please help (blackcrx16)

when you put the Engines case back to gether you have to seal it and let it set
or its not going to have a complete seal
Old 09-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: ls/vtec smoking? please help (kayelemenohpee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kayelemenohpee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you put the Engines case back to gether you have to seal it and let it set
or its not going to have a complete seal</TD></TR></TABLE>

What the **** are you talking about?

Don't listen to any of the **** this kid is saying. He's obviously a total moron. The rings seal as the engine runs assuming the pistons and ring gap are of proper size.

What color is this smoke you're seeing? Are we talking wispy blue oil smoke or fluffy white coolant smoke or sooty black fuel smoke or what? Also, why aren't you taking it over 3000rpm? If you've driven it like someone's grandmother for 60 miles, you may have already ruined your chance at sealing it properly. If an engine is put together properly, the best way to "break it in" is to go drive it like you plan on driving it every day. If that includes a couple redline pulls, so be it.

If you think this is a ridiculous idea, you need to do much more research before you attempt to build another engine.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your quick to talk **** assuming you did everything PERFECTLY start that sucker up OH WAIT you did and theres smoke i guess you shouldnt just start it up

your an idiot if you tell someone to throw a case together and try to crank it up is all im saying ask anyone. a small gap anywhere and its a bad idea

you better get everything right and alligend perfectly befor your start it up, and if you didnt youll keep seeing smoke

best get some honda know how before fcking with it
Old 09-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls/vtec smoking? please help (Archidictus)

your a retard if you hit the red a couple of times a day on something you just built
Old 09-17-2007, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kayelemenohpee)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kayelemenohpee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your quick to talk **** assuming you did everything PERFECTLY start that sucker up OH WAIT you did and theres smoke i guess you shouldnt just start it up

your an idiot if you tell someone to throw a case together and try to crank it up is all im saying ask anyone. a small gap anywhere and its a bad idea

you better get everything right and alligend perfectly befor your start it up, and if you didnt youll keep seeing smoke

best get some honda know how before fcking with it </TD></TR></TABLE>

You just done, messed with the wrong guy compadre.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=kayelemenohpee]your quick to talk **** assuming you did everything PERFECTLY start that sucker up OH WAIT you did and theres smoke i guess you shouldnt just start it up

crawl back into your bed before your dad sees u was on his computer kid..... how are u supposed to know its gonna smoke if u dont start it??? u make no sense wat so ever

as for the smoke it could be a number of things... like stated above specify the color of the smoke
Old 09-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kayelemenohpee &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your quick to talk **** assuming you did everything PERFECTLY start that sucker up OH WAIT you did and theres smoke i guess you shouldnt just start it up

best get some honda know how before fcking with it </TD></TR></TABLE>

I just can't take any joy in flaming people with sub-normal IQs. Consider yourself lucky. Such mercy is infrequent and precious. I suggest you take this gift and run with it - very, very quietly.

Here's a link or two to read (assuming you're capable of doing so) when you have some time. An education is a wonderful thing.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

http://hondaswap.com/general-t...ure-9/

Old 09-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

i didnt flame anyone, i asked questions and ppl went nutz in here. so please make sure ur talkin to the right ppl before making assumptions about there intelligence.
and by the way the smoke is blue. it smokes after over night sitting and then goes away as the engine gets to operating temp. the engine is 2days old now has 100 miles on it
Old 09-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackcrx16)

if it only smokes after sitting overnight, then somehow oil is getting to your cylinder walls while the motor cools down... possibly valve seals? does it smoke when you let off throttle while driving?
Old 09-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (trav95civic)

edit*

i just read where you put new valve seals in, so the problem may be elsewhere.... when i got my motor back from assembly my builder let the motor idle for a good 2 hours to seat the rings, so im sure after 60 miles or so of moving the rpm band a couple thousand will have the rings seated. I noticed that within the first 600 miles i went through a court of oil due to the rings seating, but never witnessed the smoke.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:15 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackcrx16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i didnt flame anyone, i asked questions and ppl went nutz in here. so please make sure ur talkin to the right ppl before making assumptions about there intelligence.
and by the way the smoke is blue. it smokes after over night sitting and then goes away as the engine gets to operating temp. the engine is 2days old now has 100 miles on it</TD></TR></TABLE>

My posts weren't directed at you, so take your own advice and make sure you know who I'm talking to before you direct any of your remarks at me.

If the smoke is blue it's oil. If it only happens after you start it from sitting all night, it's likely valve stem seals. Even if they were replaced, that doesn't mean they were replaced properly. If you wind the engine up to 6k or so, does it smoke then as well or is it fine?

There are two ways oil would be getting into the combustion chamber -

1.) from the top. It can come from valve stem seals (most likely) or broken valvetrain components (valves or the combustion chamber itself, highly unlikely). If the problem occurs only after she's been sitting for hours, it's likely that it is, indeed, coming from above.

2.) from the bottom. If your rings/ringlands are broken, oil can get into your combustion chamber from the reciprocating assembly. This, however, doesn't make sense because that would cause the car to smoke profusely all the time and there would be no reason oil would puddle in the chamber over a period of time.

Logic suggests that you turn to the head for your culprit.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

well i duno if it smokes at 6k cause it has only 160 miles on it now and from what i read i should wait till 500 miles oil change then i can run it a little harder. right?
Old 09-18-2007, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats what i done... even tho theres alot of ppl on here that have just let there car run for 30 mins or so then broke it in on the dyno and havent had a problem yet, your rings are seated by now and everything should be broke in fine for a 6grand pull
Old 09-18-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Re: (trav95civic)

It has got to be the Valve guides... there is no other explanation. So the only option you have now is to get back on installing new guides on that head...
Old 09-18-2007, 10:45 PM

Default Re: (Spellbindehr)

what kind of rings did u use in the build??? i have been told by several builders that rings such as "total seal" can produce blowby until they are heated up enough to expand and create the seal.... this was just hear say, but i have heard it from several different people and have no experience with this myself. hope this helps, some further research may save u from pulling the head.