Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ls vtec with ls pistons, skunk 2 valvetrain and skunk2 tuner stage 3 cams problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls vtec with ls pistons, skunk 2 valvetrain and skunk2 tuner stage 3 cams problem

i put the valve springs and retainers and the tuner stage 3 cams and now my car feels real tired. would putting these cams in with out a tune make it feel soo tired? it feels slower than my stock gsr cams i had in the car. i am planning on getting a tune on monday but i just want to make sure its suppose to feel like that just by swapping them out with out a tune.
and how much power can i pull out of my ls vtec build?
i have........
b18a1 with a b16 head
block guard
arp rod/head studs
ls pistons and rods
skunk2 intake manifold pro series
blox throttle body (70mm)
skunk2 dual valve springs and titanium rtetainers
skunk2 tuner stage 3 cams
gsr water pump
itr oil pump
2.5 inch exaust with stock header (was previously on boost)

tell me what you guys think i could pull out of this setup
and thanks in advance
Old 12-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls vtec with ls pistons, skunk 2 valvetrain and skunk2 tuner stage 3 cams problem (blackcrx16)

your setup feels slow, because if you are using LS pistons, then your compression is too low. you'll need to rev the cams up real high to make your power.

all OEM cams retain good cyl pressure on low-mid compression, while they may cause slight ping on high compression setups. however, on the skunk2 cams that you have, because of the size of the profile, they automatically reduce the amount of cyl pressure you have at low rpms because the valves stay open longer. only at higher rpms will the vavle opening and closing times be fast enough to retain the cyl pressure you need for the engine to feel responsive.

your options at this point.

use smaller cams,
check your install, cam timing
up the compression

regardless how much you tune and adj fuel and ign timing to make up some loss power, you will not be able to achieve the max. benefits of these cams without optimum cyl pressure.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: ls vtec with ls pistons, skunk 2 valvetrain and skunk2 tuner stage 3 cams problem (oldskool tegg

you cant use those cams on a stock bottom

Modified by speedooo at 7:53 AM 12/17/2007
Old 12-17-2007, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls vtec with ls pistons, skunk 2 valvetrain and skunk2 tuner stage 3 cams problem (oldskool tegg

tune
Old 12-17-2007, 05:19 AM

itr bottom end/ or a turbo will help if you on a budget get some high comp pistons or go back to the gsr cams
Old 12-17-2007, 06:12 AM

Just get some jdm itr or ctr pistons, will get about 11.5:1 cr and 12.5 cr respectively. You will have to have them fitted or you can get jdm p30 pistons and get just over 11.5:1 cr and need no fitting to your rods, get some arp rod bolts and new bearings and call it a day.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Endo-land)

ok whats the part number for the jdm p30 pistons? i already rebuilt the bottom end with arp rod bolts, a block guard and new rod and main bearings.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blackcrx16)

xxxx-p30-xxx or use xxxx-pr3-xxx both will work
Old 12-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls vtec with ls pistons, skunk 2 valvetrain and skunk2 tuner stage 3 cams problem (blackcrx16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackcrx16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i put the valve springs and retainers and the tuner stage 3 cams and now my car feels real tired. would putting these cams in with out a tune make it feel soo tired? it feels slower than my stock gsr cams i had in the car. i am planning on getting a tune on monday but i just want to make sure its suppose to feel like that just by swapping them out with out a tune.
i have........
b18a1 with a b16 head
block guard
arp rod/head studs
ls pistons and rods
skunk2 dual valve springs and titanium retainers
gsr water pump
itr oil pump
2.5 inch exhaust with stock header (was previously on boost)

and thanks in advance</TD></TR></TABLE>another thing that might be a good idea is to use the same water pump, timing belt, tensioner as the head your using.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackcrx16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i put the valve springs and retainers and the tuner stage 3 cams and now my car feels real tired. would putting these cams in with out a tune make it feel soo tired? it feels slower than my stock gsr cams i had in the car. i am planning on getting a tune on monday but i just want to make sure its suppose to feel like that just by swapping them out with out a tune.
i have........
b18a1 with a b16 head
block guard
arp rod/head studs
ls pistons and rods
skunk2 dual valve springs and titanium rtetainers
gsr water pump
itr oil pump
2.5 inch exaust with stock header (was previously on boost)

and thanks in advance</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a similar setup like yours and I swaped out the stock B18A pistons for some CTR slugs and It solved my probs. Also, are you running on OEM cam gears or adjustable? some fine tuning helps.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls vtec with ls pistons, skunk 2 valvetrain and skunk2 tuner stage 3 cams problem (db8db8db8)

i got stock oem cam gears. i just want to know what pistons will benifit me and that would also fit on the ls rods without modification?
Old 12-18-2007, 07:39 AM
Banned

Your going to need more compression as stated in several posts above... but your also going to NEED a set of adjustable cam gears. Skunk2 cam centerlines are not @ 0 and need to be adjusted.

Also, Stg. 3's are great cams but you would benefit more from installing a set of Pro 2's