Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ls vtec low idle and sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls vtec low idle and sputtering

Okay sound awhile back my car was running fine then I noticed I had a lot of smoke coming from the valve cover. Checked it out and found out it was the rubber seals I forgot to put back when I replaced my valve cover. So sucked out all the oil cleaned the spark plugs.

Right after I turned it back on and noticed it idled low and wants to die. I have still been able to drive it and now Im noticing it sometimes sputters a little around 3k to4k RPMS.

I changed the plugs, wires, cleaned the iacv, replaced the TPS.

I NEED HELP
Old 02-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls vtec low idle and sputtering

Did you clean out the spark plugs tubes really well?
If they have alot of burned oil in them, your plugs may not be making a good enough ground to give you a good spark thus giving you your sputter.

And why'd you replace the TPS if all you did was ingest some oil into your motor?
The TPS shouldn't have had anything to do with that if it was running well before you noticed the smoke...
Only other thing I can think of is you burned a load of oil on top of your pistons and crudded the combustion chamber up really badly.
Try Seafoaming it to really clean it out and see if that helps.

Anyone else wanna weigh in on this?
^^;
Old 02-23-2012, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Texas4door
Did you clean out the spark plugs tubes really well?
If they have alot of burned oil in them, your plugs may not be making a good enough ground to give you a good spark thus giving you your sputter.

And why'd you replace the TPS if all you did was ingest some oil into your motor?
The TPS shouldn't have had anything to do with that if it was running well before you noticed the smoke...
Only other thing I can think of is you burned a load of oil on top of your pistons and crudded the combustion chamber up really badly.
Try Seafoaming it to really clean it out and see if that helps.

Anyone else wanna weigh in on this?
^^;
on my 92 civic i did the exact same thing, i ended up pulling the head to make sure i got all the oil in spark plug tube, and made sure there was no build up on the pistons, and trust me there was alot of build up on pistions, i cleaned em up by hand..i pulled the head cuz i was gunna do water pump and timing belt anyways..seafoam would help if u don't wanna pull head off..just do it properly..after seafoam change the oil and oil filter otherwise ur gunna run into issues later, and yes make sure u clean the spark plug tubes and threads thoroughly, oh and after i did all that i guess i also had a bad dizzy that just happaned to be going bad at the same time lol it was a bad week for me, it was the same week i replaced tranny and clutch..damn thinking back that was the most work i did on a car in a week..anyways
Old 02-24-2012, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys will do that tomorrow morning and let you know how it comes out. Hope it helps
Old 02-25-2012, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

You MUST provide all pertinent information about your car and engine. Failure to do so may result in thread closure.