Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LS/VTEC Guru's check this out, need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS/VTEC Guru's check this out, need advice!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/...t=165

My friend is looking at this car. Exactly how reliable is an LS/VTEC? I called and talked to the guy and he said the car has low compression pistons so it is set up for nitrous. He also said the engine was built and installed buy a highly qualified shop. Does anyone have a similer set-up that can guess how much this would make at a dyno? He also said something about the computer being sent to Skunk2 for tuning. I'm guessing thats good? But how does that compare to Hondata? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Electrician

https://honda-tech.com/zeroforum?id=44
Old 05-19-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: LS/VTEC Guru's check this out, need advice! (SkylinexRegret)

Heres my opinion. Anytime you modify and or beat on a car, **** will break.. A modified car can't be reliable forever if you are beating on it. Depending on how it was built, how the owner has taken care of it and how your friend is planning on using it are all factors. As for the computer being sent to skunk2 for tuning..My best guess would be that the guy has a skunk2 program on the ecu..Probably a p28. A low compression block with a stock head isn't going to be very fast though, If your friend does get this car I'd reccomend some headwork and since the block is low compression, boost the **** outta it. Thats just my .02 cents. (Sidenote: When purchased, please proceed to de-rice that car)
Old 05-19-2005, 01:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's just as reliable as any modified honda. Meaning its not a problem if you know what you are doing. If you treat the car well, you probably won't have big problems. Judging by rice boy's FS article there, he doesn't know much about his car, and probably ragged the hell out of it. A skunk 2 chip is good for certain applications, but in this case you would be better off with hondata. I couldn't tell you what it would make at the dyno, but with low compression pistons the hp will be lower than normal. Low compression is good for turbo, but he bored it to 2 liters and I didn't see anything about sleeving the block (maybe I just missed that though), so boosting is looking for trouble. Its not a bad price though. If it runs well and drives well, not a bad buy. You should definitely de-rice it though. That spoiler is god awful ugly.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: LS/VTEC Guru's check this out, need advice! (IHateJDM)

Low compression is crap....nitrous loves high compression....boost the hell out of the motor if in fact it is low compression. I loved my ls/vtec until I dropped a valve seat and POW!

btw...I'm still going to build another ls/vtec
Old 05-19-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: LS/VTEC Guru's check this out, need advice! (mercuryfrost)

The guy said it was never beat on, because he has only had it for 3 months and the car is a cx so it doesnt have a tach. He said he was afraid to take it too high because he didnt know what he was at. How hard is it to take an Si cluster or something and swap it in? And how much would it cost to throw some better pistons in there for more power? Because im pretty sure my friend wouldnt boost the motor.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:30 PM
cool guy name

Anyone that says they havent gotten on there car is a straight liar!!!! You dont build an engine to drive Miss Daisy to and from the doctors office. I rag the **** out of my car, it was built to do so, I take care of it more then i do myself, but I still have fun in the car.....

Getting a different guage cluster is easy as hell, the hardest part will be finding the one you want. Any civic guage cluster from 96-00 will fit with no modifications.

Opening up the block and putting in diff pistons depends on too much, what kind of pistons, you doin the work, if not who do you trust and who will do a good job.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC Guru's check this out, need advice! (walker111)

if you dont know too much about cars i suggest you dont buy a car with a swapped engine. get a stock car, learn, learn and learn some more then do your own swap that way you know the motor wont be beatin on and what not and that its done right. Just my opinon, btw that car is ***.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: LS/VTEC Guru's check this out, need advice! (walker111)

thanks for the good responses, really helped me clear up alot of my questions. but my main 2 questions are, what kind of power should this make (im hoping more than a b16, correct?) and what do ls/vtec comparable to this run in the 1/4?
Old 05-19-2005, 02:53 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would never buy a modified car that was built by someone else. You just don't know how it was built and how it was drove.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkylinexRegret &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the good responses, really helped me clear up alot of my questions. but my main 2 questions are, what kind of power should this make (im hoping more than a b16, correct?) and what do ls/vtec comparable to this run in the 1/4?</TD></TR></TABLE>
now seeing as how you dont know much, if your friend doesnt know as much either, dont get it. LSVTEC shoulda make more then a b16, and you cant bench race. quarter mile times depend on the motor and the driver. I've seen it range from 14.2-16's
Old 05-19-2005, 04:55 PM

IT IS EXTREMELLY HARD TO SWAP OUT SI GUAGES. THAT **** TAKE LIKE 5 MINUTES
Old 05-19-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: LS/VTEC Guru's check this out, need advice! (IheartMyEM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IheartMyEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">(Sidenote: When purchased, please proceed to de-rice that car) </TD></TR></TABLE>
werd
Old 05-19-2005, 05:11 PM

high compression works better with nitrous... as for turbo, high/low compression isn't too much of a big deal as long as you tune it accordingly. if i were you i would not buy that car (that was before i saw the price). after i see how much the asking price is, i would definately not even think about calling.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: LS/VTEC Guru's check this out, need advice! (idriveadelsol7)

bump for more opinions
Old 05-19-2005, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The compression is not the low he states the he has 9.5:1 compression ratio pistons and if the LS/VTEC was done with a GSR head (which has a lower displacment in the head which will yield a higher compression) The compression will be over 10:1 which is quite high but with NOS that does not matter. The thing that got me scared (other then the ugly looks of the car) was that he said it was bored to 2.0 which is a 84mm bore 3mm over stock and to add stock sleeves are not very strong to begin with. The ECU is most likely a P28 ECU sent out to chipped and that is the best ECU for that application because the will by pass the knock sensor and it is chipped for the different fuel map that the LS/VTEC needs. And most important is that i would never trust a LS/VTEC motor that i dont know exactly was was used to assemble it because there are many individuals out there that build the wrong and blow up thats is why there a rumor that they are unreliable. But it aint my money but i will give you my 2 CENTS!
Old 05-19-2005, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/VTEC Guru's check this out, need advice! (KillerBee18)

After taking some more looks at the car it has a GSR head for the LS/VTEC swap i have the same head block combo and i have 9.0:1 CP pistons and the calculations that were done on my engine yields a 9.5:1 ratio.