Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ls vtec build question and rev limit?

Old 01-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls vtec build question and rev limit?

i am building a ls vtec,,(b18 ,with a type r head)

things that will go on it>>new rod and main bearings,thrust washers,p30 pistons with rings and wrist pins,ls vtec conversion(head gasket,adapter,line,etc),arp rod bolts,aebs head studs,gsr timing belt,performance oil pump,valve seals,rear main seal,block guard.

Things i plan 2 get:fuel pump,fuel pressure regulator,camshaft,camgears,injectors.

*all parts are already at the machine shop and ready to go..head will be port and polished,bblock will be honed and etc..i am wondering if i am missing anything??and how high would you guys recommend me reving this engine??head is completely stock..
Old 01-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ls vtec build question and rev limit?

With stock cams and that setup, you can probably rev to 8500, but I think that the power will fall off before that, and the extra revs will be moot. I have my LS Vtec rev limit at 8k, with all stock everything! You should consider getting one of the bottom end girdles like the gsr has. Then you should be good to 8900-9000. But, why are you so concerned with revs? You know what they say about RPM's right....Ruins Peoples Motors.......Don't be one of those guys who spin it to 9500 just to say they can even though peak power happened at 7500!
Old 01-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i mean its not a big concern ,,its about precautions..i want to send out a p28 ecu to get chipped and i want to know were i should have it cut off..
Old 01-09-2009, 06:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

am i missing anything?would this hold a nitrous system,,if so about how many shots??
Old 01-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmdikk
am i missing anything?would this hold a nitrous system,,if so about how many shots??
it will probably hold a 75 shot with no problems lol.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

o ok..thats what i was told...since it might hold more but break so i was told to do a 75 shot and it should hold and give it a lil push..lol
Old 01-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a lot of experience with the ls/vtec. I have a 400hp turbo ls/vtec. Ive read a lot of information on why they fail for people.

With stock ls rods you should only take it to the ls rev limit of 7000. You should not take it higher than 7500 with a block girdle and arp bolts. The rods will not take it. You will spin a bearing. The main reason why every one who has failed with a ls/vtec is redlining at 8200. They all spun bearings. I redlined at 7000 with stock rods and never had a problem. And do not ever try to go to 9000rpms with stock ls rods. Youll throw a rod real quick. Those motors are not built for that much rpms.

This is the main thing you have to consider. The rod strok ratio is not ideal in a ls block. To much stress is put on the center of the rod in a compression stroke. At 9000 they will snap. You cannot determine how much rpms the motor will take by just the head. My head still has stock springs, so I will only take it to 8200. Still made a 11 second pass with them too. Rickkane is right, rpms ruine motors. Unless you build them for it.

With a type r head all you have to do is upgrade the rods and pistons. Get eagle rods and good forged pistons with a block girdle. New bearings too. Get a good tune. As long as you make power to 9000 then you can redline there.

But with stock rods, 7500 max. Oh, and make sure your oil pump is vtec. 94-95 ls pumps will not have enough pressure for vtec.

Last edited by hondaracing84; 01-09-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i purchased a p72 performance oil pump 30-40% over stock and i just got eagle rods for the build ,,i just dropped them off to the shop..the only thing thats not being changed is the crank
Old 01-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can i use a stock gsr block girdle???if so i will try to find 1
Old 01-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great. What compression ratio are you using on the pistons? But for 9000 rpms it might be a good idea to balance the whole rotating assembly. But Im using the stock crank and it is working great with my 400hp.

You can use the stock gsr girdle, but you'll need the main caps with it. Id say go with a golden eagle girldle. Thats what I use and it fit perfect. Youll have to have the girdle, gsr main bolts for 2,3,and 4 mains, gsr oil pickup, gsr windage tray either a gsr oil pan or a moroso oil pan.

Go to http://shopping.lightningmotorsports...me.php?cat=155

Thats where I got mine. Comes in a complete kit. Everything you need.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats a nice kit,,,atleast now i know what all the parts are..how many hp do u think i can get out of this motor swap with what i have???
Old 01-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, the setup I have is, Ls/vtec, b16 head w/gsr cams, str block guard, srp 9.0:1 compression pistons, eagle rods, the golden eagle girdle and I made 400hp.

If you go all motor, Ive read in honda tuning magazine, someone built a ls/vtec with blox stage 2 cams, integra type r pistons, a blox intake manifold and trottlebody. I cant remember the header, and there might be a little more, but they made a little over 210 hp to the wheels. I think they used a apexi vafc to tune with since they didnt get hondata by the dead line.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

o ok..i would like to atleast be at or over 200 hp and i will feel satisfied enough..i would like to atleast get a nitrous kit for it ..2day i had a good day since i been asking ppl that i kno for parts that i need and i found a few things..a friend of mine says that he believes that he has aem cam gears lying around and rc 450 injectors and possibly camshaft set,,,i asked my cousin if he knew any 1 with a mest up gsr block and he said yes so he will try to get me the block so that i can take of the complete girdle setup with pan ..
Old 01-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OP, 4 words for you. All Motor Dyno Thread. That should provide some real-world evidence about what a properly-built/assembled LS-VTEC is capable of, rpm-wise with stock internals.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Since all the parts are at the machine shop are they going to balance and blueprint the bottom end? I they do than you will be fine with the revs. They only way to We 100% is to have it dnoed like said before they will tell you what rpm is the max power. When you figure that out than you will know what should be your redline.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you build it right and strong 200whp is not hard at all. Get it balanced and tuned. Youll need a dyno for the cam gears anyways so while your there you might as well tune it properly. Especially if you use the 450cc injectors. Youll need to tune those. Get hondata. Without a tune you wont get the maximum power out of your setup. And after the tune youll know where to shift, where the power dropps off.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i am planning on getting cam gears for when i get it tuned and also the fuel pressure regulator..i am planning on chipping my ecu(p28)so that i when i take the car to get tuned ,,they can tune it properly.
Old 01-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, as long as the chip is tuned for you exact motor setup.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was planning on sending the ecu to phereable and tell them whats on my setup so that i can then take the car to get tuned..have you guys heard any good things of phereable??
Old 01-11-2009, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was planning on sending the ecu to phereable and tell them whats on my setup so that i can then take the car to get tuned..have you guys heard any good things of phereable??
Yeah, I got my ecu from him and got my LS/V tuned by him last year. Good guy, very knowlegable.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i want to send them my ecu so that they can chip it but i am no where near them so unfortunetly they cant tune it 2..
Old 01-11-2009, 02:26 PM

okay let me start by saying first off your are getting some good info on here but i will tell you one thing you can use a ls oil pump as long as you raise the psi on it not a lot of people know how to though. next ls rods are good for 11 grand all you need is rod bolt but just cause i say their good to 11 grand does not mean you can rev them to that like said before you have to build the motor for it also its the crank that does not like the revs and the reason people say that the rods are not good is because they would rather buy rod cheaper and have the crank knife edge then buy a light weight crank and run not honda will print you out papers and info on their rod and motors and you have to math the motor out i have a few ls vtec for personal cars and have built a lot for coustomers and its all on the builder my daily driver is a b20 vtec here the setup stock block besides arp rod bolts head bolts and block gaurd head is fully built port polish, skunk2 dual valve springs, supertech titanium retainers and keepers supertech flat valves 3 angle valve job, stage 3 blox cams tuner b series cams and skunk 2 manifold and a h22 throttle body and h22a1 injectors good for 345cc and i put down 225 whp with chrom pro and take it to 8800rpm for the last 15000 miles not every day at that rpm on race night and stuff all the time you wanna know more pm ill walk you through it sorry for the long post
Old 01-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i want to send them my ecu so that they can chip it but i am no where near them so unfortunetly they cant tune it 2..
Well I would certainly have him socket the ecu, but there has to be a dyno in your area. Where do you live? Talk to him, he does travel to other dyno's but I couldnt tell ya if he would go out of state for tuning or not.

Last edited by DC_Legacy; 01-11-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is true that the stock rods can hold a lot. Honda tuning magazine has a article about a b16 with stock rods that made 507hp on a engine dyno. Its all about the tune. You get a good tune then they will hold.
Now, I do feel though 11k is too much, but thats because every time I read or heard about someones lsvtec failing is because they took it to high in the rpms. They did everything right but that. So from what I saw, I would not trust it. But, if the bottom end is balanced well with the stock rods then I would feel more comfortable with it, but I wouldnt do it all day, only at the track. Not on the street, I dont street race anymore, not worth it.

Originally Posted by iluvmyef9
okay let me start by saying first off your are getting some good info on here but i will tell you one thing you can use a ls oil pump as long as you raise the psi on it not a lot of people know how to though. next ls rods are good for 11 grand all you need is rod bolt but just cause i say their good to 11 grand does not mean you can rev them to that like said before you have to build the motor for it also its the crank that does not like the revs and the reason people say that the rods are not good is because they would rather buy rod cheaper and have the crank knife edge then buy a light weight crank and run not honda will print you out papers and info on their rod and motors and you have to math the motor out i have a few ls vtec for personal cars and have built a lot for coustomers and its all on the builder my daily driver is a b20 vtec here the setup stock block besides arp rod bolts head bolts and block gaurd head is fully built port polish, skunk2 dual valve springs, supertech titanium retainers and keepers supertech flat valves 3 angle valve job, stage 3 blox cams tuner b series cams and skunk 2 manifold and a h22 throttle body and h22a1 injectors good for 345cc and i put down 225 whp with chrom pro and take it to 8800rpm for the last 15000 miles not every day at that rpm on race night and stuff all the time you wanna know more pm ill walk you through it sorry for the long post
Old 01-12-2009, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well i already got eagle rods which is a A+..and the block guard,and oil pump...i had every 1 that i know telling me to changed them so i did..im pretty sure that i could have used my b16 1 but i decided to buy the new 30-40% over stock oil pump instead..i really just want to make it as reliable as possible and i want to only bring it up as high as possibly 8300 rpm that's it..i am in CT so i kno that phereable (john vega)cant make it here unless i pay him a flight ticket..lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls vtec build question and rev limit?