Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LS-Turboner's civic coupe build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS-Turboner's civic coupe build thread

whats up guys, finally got a camera, so time to start a build thread. heres the rundown so far:

a couple months ago, i purchased a 98 civic coupe DX, five speed, d16y7, G82p cypress green pearl, manual windows, manual locks, no AC...
a friend of mine had the car for a few years, drove it around, then had a minor accident involving november snow and adult beverages... the bumper was trashed, the passenger side fender was trashed, and the big ugly 17'' konigs were in bad shape...he parked it, bought a truck, so i told him i wanted it. put 1000 bucks in his face and he took it. jumped the battery, and drove her home.
the d series ran decent but gutless for sure, the car kinda shuddered above 60mph, but i got her home fine.

first thing i did, found a 99-00 front end, hood, headlights, both fenders, and grill for 150 bucks. decent shape, but the fenders and bumper arent oem. still looks decent, gotta mess with the gaps more when i tear it apart for paint, but for now it will work...

second thing was to get rid of the 17'' konig ricer wheels... i got some 14'' HX wheels with newish tires for 200 bucks. no more shaking at highway speeds!! those 17's were bent as ****. the HX's (what i think are HX's) look considering except the ghetto red paint job. im gonna get them powdercoated soon anyways.

and for the newest addition, i had to address the lack of power. i figured i could find a b series swap for cheap considering this economy. i didnt want a b16, no torque. thought about a cheap LS swap, but i really wanted VTEC...
Craiglist is sweet. i found a guy that wanted to trade his B18c1 swap for a full D swap+1200 bucks. he was broke, and couldnt get what he wanted for his EM1 with the gsr swap, so he wanted to swap it and sell it for cheaper. I showed up with my d16y7 and 1000 bucks cash. took it home and there it sat for a few days til i found an old cherry picker at a yard sale for 25 bucks. swap went great, me and my buddy took our time and had her in and running in two nights. i was surprised, it was my first swap, and it was pretty strait forward. the fact that i had everything helped. harness, ecu, tranny, axles, shiftlinkage, etc. plug and play... other than a couple little things like a evap hose, and a coolant hose.
thats it so far, i want to tune it on Hondata s300, next i want to paint the front end to match the rest of the car, G82P cypress green pearl. and powdercoat the wheels, maybe bronze, not sure.

all in all, i am very happy with the swap. i got about 2500 bucks including the car into it so far. the power difference was drastic, and the car is an absolute blast to drive. crackin VTEC for the first time made me grin for hours. stay tuned, i have tons in store for my budget civic!
Attached Images       
Old 08-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS-Turboner's civic coupe build thread

i wish i would have had this camera before i did the front end and the swap, but you get the picture...
Old 08-04-2010, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what a damn good deal.. looks nice keep it up
Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a little update, i was out driving around, just gettin a feel for the new motor/tranny. i dropped from 4th to 3rd a lil hard, heard a lil pop. went home, and there was oil all over the valve cover and timing belt cover! i got all scared until i looked over and seen the driverside mount was torn all the way around the top of the rubber, and thats were the oil came from... i knew they were oil filled, but i didnt know there was that much fluid, it was a mess...

ordered a set of innovative steel mounts, should be here tomorrow, im excited for a firmer feel, alot less motor flex, and a lovely dash vibration, haha. anyone running these mounts? what should i expect?
Old 08-06-2010, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump......................
Old 08-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by teamfdudb7
bump......................
Really? this isn't a FS thread, no need to bump it.

OP good progress on the car, you basically have about $2200 into a GSR powered 6th gen, considering what GSR swaps go for typically, I'd say you're doing quite well
Old 10-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a lil update, been really broke, i started school last month and had to spend quite a bit of my build money on tools for school. precision measuring tools are spendy! (goin to school for machine tool technology.)

i have, however, put in the innovative mount kit, which is nice, no motor flex, they do vibrate my dash and door panels a little bit, but its cool, girls just like to sit in my car at idle more now.

ive been commuting 60 miles to school, so 120 miles roundtrip a day, 600 miles a week. its been dead reliable, and i am happy with the swap over all.

more to come this month and stay tuned for the full rebuild in December

81.5 mm cp pistons/ stock sleeves
eagle rods
oem honda main and rod bearings
crower turbo cams
crower valve springs/retainers
60 trim t3/t4
hondata s300

im shootin for a reliable 300 whp on low boost.

any thoughts?