Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ls+turbo vs. gsr+nos

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls+turbo vs. gsr+nos

I did search and couldn't find any about these 2 comparson. I believe they cost about same. let's talk about these 2 comparson.
Old 10-11-2003, 05:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: ls+turbo vs. gsr+nos (bearboy80)

Why not do a GSR + Turbo? I read somewhere on here that GSR's are better to turbo then LS, can anyone back that up?
Old 10-11-2003, 05:52 PM
Banned

Default Re: ls+turbo vs. gsr+nos (Luserkid)

about the same? hmm...

2500 ls swap.... +3000 turbo kit.... =5500 for a fast *** car
3500 gsr swap... +500 POS worthless nos.... =4000 for a slow *** car

very rough estimate, but you get the point
Old 10-11-2003, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ls turbo will be more expensive in the end, but will enable you to go faster then gsr nos setup.....I prefer boost.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ls+turbo vs. gsr+nos (Irishweird00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Irishweird00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">about the same? hmm...

very rough estimate, but you get the point</TD></TR></TABLE>

? Ok, so nitrous is "slower" than turbo?

You can get a 125 shot plate system, and run with any 8-12 psi 3k turbo system. I ran 125 shot on my stock OBD1 B18C. Popped out 12.7's on slicks.

I love turbo's in general, with the exception of the price.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:27 PM

Default Re: ls+turbo vs. gsr+nos (Steve Berman)

im sorry, but i would never put nitrous on my car. i just dont like the idea of depending on a bottle to go fast, i dunno im just wierd i guess! its just like steroids in my book.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls+turbo vs. gsr+nos (97civhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97civhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im sorry, but i would never put nitrous on my car. i just don't like the idea of depending on a bottle to go fast, i dunno im just wierd i guess! its just like steroids in my book.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LMAO! Steroids? LOL I never said nitrous is the "best" option, but I don't see how someone could say a turbo system is "faster" than a nitrous system in this scenario.

This situation was revolving around either a stock GSR motor or a stock LS motor. Nothing forged or built. You can make any $3,000 turbo system break a rod in either of these engines if you crank the boost up enough. At the same time, you can spray 150 shot of gas and brake a rod as well.

HP is HP. I don't care if its there always, or when you need it. Bottom line, is that this guy wanted the best option for speed. My opinion is GSR + N2O. I would rather have GSR + Boost if I had money laying around. I sprayed my car, won races, and sold it. Never lost to anyone because I was running n2o. In fact, I caught a few slipping because of it

Old 10-11-2003, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LS + boost for sure.

GS-R n20 is alright, but if you go for anything higher above a 70 shot, you're going to either burn a hole through your valve, or melt a piston... unless you use some forged pistons.

LS turbo would be quicker on 7psi than a GS-R w/ a 70 shot (would be close), but you don't have to fill the bottle.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls+turbo vs. gsr+nos (Quik Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quik Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LS + boost for sure.

GS-R n20 is alright, but if you go for anything higher above a 70 shot, you're going to either burn a hole through your valve, or melt a piston... unless you use some forged pistons.

LS turbo would be quicker on 7psi than a GS-R w/ a 70 shot (would be close), but you don't have to fill the bottle. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope. I ran 125 shot on wet plate system. No problems at all. Just watch everything and keep an eye on the plugs. I purchased the kit used from someone who also sprayed 125HP shot on a 95 GSR All on stock internals.
Old 10-11-2003, 06:55 PM

nitrous does seem like fun, its cheap and it makes you fast. But like someone else stated, i also feel that its like steriods.

with a turbo, you are using your exisiting exhaust gases to spool up a turbo, and feed in back to you.
with nitrous, you are putting special juice in the motor.

weird logic... but whatever
Old 10-11-2003, 06:57 PM
Banned

I dunno why i wrote that... It's 2 different worlds... with completely different needs as far as a build up goes.... I just like the fact taht turbo is there... and you dont need to refill it....

Props to the NOS guys though.. some are sick as hell
Old 10-11-2003, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Irishweird00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">about the same? hmm...

very rough estimate, but you get the point</TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats wrong with nitrous? Its called nitrous, not nos. NOS is a nitrous brand.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:06 PM

guys, dont take it the wrong way, i can respect anyone for tuning a n2o system, but its just not my cup of tea.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:14 PM

Default Re: ls+turbo vs. gsr+nos (Quik Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quik Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LS turbo would be quicker on 7psi than a GS-R w/ a 70 shot </TD></TR></TABLE>
I think gsr w/ 70 shots would be faster cuz i got a friend with ls turbo runs high 13 to low 14 @8psi. Another friend runs with stock gsr mid to high 14's. so if you add 70 shots into that gsr, it'll beat ls turbo.

I like n2o more cuz you are running all motor on daily driving. on the other hand, if you get turbo, you gotta run turbo always to keep up with even all motor gsr. and turbo timer is annoying too.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97civhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">guys, dont take it the wrong way, i can respect anyone for tuning a n2o system, but its just not my cup of tea. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hahaha, now that I aggree with.

I was scared as hell spraying my car for the first time. Its like.. blow or go........

Im thinking about slapping on a turbo system on my EK. Little D16Y8 + Turbo. Turbo's have nice sounds etc. But, for the cost and powa', N2O is not bad at all.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:34 PM

i think nitrous is alright if it is done properly, it just has a bad connotation because of all those 16 year old morons who think its da b0mb with their aluminum wings and altezzas. anyways, i vote for ls turbo, because of the following: greater reliability in general, more power everytime you want it, you cant push that button every ten seconds, no need to refill a bottle, etc; and finally, i would rather say i have a nice turbo system than a nitrous kit, just so i'm not associated w/ those clowns.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bearboy80 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I think gsr w/ 70 shots would be faster cuz i got a friend with ls turbo runs high 13 to low 14 @8psi. Another friend runs with stock gsr mid to high 14's. so if you add 70 shots into that gsr, it'll beat ls turbo.

I like n2o more cuz you are running all motor on daily driving. on the other hand, if you get turbo, you gotta run turbo always to keep up with even all motor gsr. and turbo timer is annoying too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

there's too many varibles to say which is really faster. with a turbo charged car, you can say that he's running 7-8 psi but depending on the turbo, he could make anywhere from only 40whp to 100whp depending on setup and engine condition.

but for the record, i've beaten two of my friends cars with nitrous too many times to count. one with a JDM b16 w/100 shot/gutted out CRX running LOW 13's all day, and the other a vx hb eg w/99 b18c1 w/80 shot runs mid 13's all day.

don't get me wrong now...cause like i've said...there are too many varibles to say why someone or another car is faster...suspension setup, launches, tire/wheel size/weight, engine condition...etc, etc. the list can go on forever.
Old 10-11-2003, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls+turbo vs. gsr+nos (shermanyang)

oh yeah...forgot to mention...started off all motor LS, Nitrous LS (80 shot single wet fogger), and couldn't get enough so now TURBO LS

Turbo LS feels a lot stronger and because you're slowing building hp/tq/psi, you put less stress on the motor where as with nitrous once you hit that button, you're adding xxx amount of power/tq/psi instantly causing more stress on the pistons, rods, cylinder walls...etc.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:34 PM

If both setups are done properly, then they both can be successful. However, as a personal preference, I prefer the LS Turbo setup because boost tickles my cack...

P.
Old 10-12-2003, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls+turbo vs. gsr+nos (AZDogg623)

Nitrous. It's all about the hp per dollar.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls+turbo vs. gsr+nos (specie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by specie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nitrous. It's all about the hp per dollar.</TD></TR></TABLE>

...untill you have to fill the bottle all the time. I'm going to say turbo still. You can still run race gas at the track and turn the boost up to 12-15 psi and beat the N20 car.... though arguable both ways, filling the bottle is weaksauce.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:45 AM
This user can set his title.

LS/Turbo bacause you will be under constant boost and can have fun whenever you want.

GSR-NOS is not constant spraying so you will always be slow unless you spray.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ls+turbo vs. gsr+nos (specie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by specie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nitrous. It's all about the hp per dollar.</TD></TR></TABLE>

okay get this...Nitrous is like paying rent on an apartment....you DON"T get your money back no matter what, and turbo is like buying a house.

either way, if you stick with nitrous long enough and race often enough, you will eventually be spending more fillilng up the bottle than had you had gotten a turbo kit. around here in MN the price has gone up to $40-$45 per fill. a 10lb bottle if i can remember correctly only last a few runs with an 80-100 shot nozzle.
Old 10-12-2003, 07:41 AM

a friend of mine is in the 11's on a stock internals b18b, with a t3/t4. it would take a lot of spray to get that fast.

me personally i never liked nitrous, unless it were for a purely drag only car, and you were spraying to spool your turbo.

IMO turbo &gt;&gt; spray

Old 10-12-2003, 08:34 AM

Default Re: ls+turbo vs. gsr+nos (B18cR-Ej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18cR-Ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GSR-NOS is not constant spraying so you will always be slow unless you spray.</TD></TR></TABLE>
GSR without spraying will run mid 14's. That's fun enough for street uses.

Quick Reply: ls+turbo vs. gsr+nos