Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LS/Turbo vs. all motor LS, which can make decent power while holding reliability??

Old 11-06-2007, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS/Turbo vs. all motor LS, which can make decent power while holding reliability??

Hey everyone, I have a 94 Civic Sedan w/ a B18B1 motor and tranny. This will be a daily driver that will be driven around 60 miles a day or more to work. In the spring, i'm looking to either make it an LS/Turbo or an all motor LS or LS/V-tec. I was wondering which way would be best to go for a reliable DD that can run in the 12s, and how much it's gonna cost to get me there. I am capable of doing all the labor myself, but am a bit lost on the parts as of now. Any opinions are welcome, thanks everyone...I'm trying to find a happy medium of performance and reliability...

Someone once told me..."Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick two."...Makes sense huh?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to get 12's NA ur gonna spend a lot more money then going turbo. reliability will depend on the parts and tune of your car. i would go with turbo but i'm single sided on this since i too myself have a turbo LS
Old 11-06-2007, 10:59 PM

for reliability, i probably wouldnt even go with a turbo. i mean i guess it all depens on how much you can dump into your car, but 60 miles a day ends up being a little more then 1500 miles a month. thatll add up on both your engine, and your turbo setup. i think by boosting it to 12's its going to be a shitty ride for dd, and going to be pretty shitty for how many miles youll be putting on it...

goodluck anyway though
Old 11-07-2007, 05:18 AM

with all that money ur spending, just take off ur motor, an go get fully swap h22 or h2b but me
i rather prefer a h2b setup, but its gonna b alot of mods, but gguarantee 13's or mids, an its all worth it, when u smoke them EVO an mustang
Old 11-07-2007, 05:55 AM

Default Re: (vdawg559)

You could still go turbo for a reliable car. Just get it professionally tuned if you have no idea to do it. Don't try to get 500 hp out of it. When I had my turbo 99 Si, I had 'em richen the tune a little bit because I'd rather be safe. Your call though, but with all that money in the motor and turbo, you don't wanna destroy all your hard work. GL
Old 11-07-2007, 06:00 AM

Default Re: (boostedEBP)

yea i like the quote....

and its true unless you have around 5grand for a GREAt turbo and internals to go with it

see the thing is...if you put a huge turbo on a stock motor...that has stock internals, then its not going to last long because its not ment to handle that much power...

depends on how much money you got but i would get a strong crankshaft and rods and high compression pistons and sleve the cyclinder walls...all thats going to run about 2.5grand and a couple months to have someone else to do it...then buy a really good turbo and put it on, but dont just put the turbo on and what not....replace some of the old gaskets and other lil misc. things that will make your car break...then have someone dyno tune it for you....

theres 5grand and about 3 months of work...but in the end you will have a car that wolt break down, and is REALLY FAST!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (justinrl613)

If he plans on going turbo, then dropping money on high compression pistons would be stupid. With a turbo you want lower compression. To make a ton of power on NA you should raise the compression.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Taimaishui14)

So many ideas...lol. I'm not talking about a huge turbo, just a decent sized one. Is it possible to get into the 12s w/ an all motor LS or LS/Vtec? On the other hand, what can my stock internals handle as far as boost? A buddy of mine has an LS/Turbo that is a DD and runs high 11s, which is why I chose to pick up a car w/ an LS in it, and the reason behind this thread...Thanks for the input, more is welcome!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (scbmx87)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigbadboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to get 12's NA ur gonna spend a lot more money then going turbo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Put in some headstuds, don't use CDM turbos or thin guage manifolds and have an experienced tuner take care of your tune and you'll be set. I drive my turbo car year round, never had any problems.

Look for the LS-T thread in forced induction and you'll find solid info.

Old 11-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/Turbo vs. all motor LS, which can make decent power while holding reliability?? (scbmx87)

anytime u go turbo ur reliability goes down... forced<U></U>introduction...meaning the motor wasnt meant for it.

however turbo will be cheaper and easier to get 12's in.

NA more money more reliable harder 12's
Old 11-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/Turbo vs. all motor LS, which can make decent power while holding reliability?? (EG6 Love)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG6 Love &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anytime u go turbo ur reliability goes down... forced<U></U>introduction...meaning the motor wasnt meant for it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Based on your experience of turbocharged cars, what’s the mechanical explanation of “reliability goes down”?
Old 11-07-2007, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (G2turbo_terror)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2turbo_terror &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Put in some headstuds, don't use CDM turbos or thin guage manifolds and have an experienced tuner take care of your tune and you'll be set. I drive my turbo car year round, never had any problems.

Look for the LS-T thread in forced induction and you'll find solid info.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sweet man, thanks a lot. I planned on ARP headstuds and a different head gasket either way. If you stay out of boost you're not really hurting the motor are you?
Old 11-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (scbmx87)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1323059

500+ pages of nothing but LS-T. Just read, don't buy any parts, just read.

Also, start getting your info from the FI/all motor sub forums, not in the civic forum.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

please i want all these guys that says reliability goes down with some examples of real experience. everyone says turbo isn't reliable don't even have a turbo car. they prob don't even have a fast all motor car either. your just talking out of your ***. i have a COMPLETELY BONE STOCK LS MOTOR 400 DD over 3-4K miles a month. i beat on it from sun up to sun down and i have 0 problems. just because you do something right doens't mean you have to spend a **** load of money. the key to any reliable car is the tune. and like G2turbo said if you want FI guadance please go to the correct section of the forumn don't let people fill your head with ideas if they don't have any experience with the matter
Old 11-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bigbadboy)

Cool, thanks for everyone's input...i'm definitely going LS-T. To the forced induction threads I go!