Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LS Swap: For those of you who've done it, What did you forget?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Swap: For those of you who've done it, What did you forget?

Well, I'm picking up my motor saturday, and my trans is on its way with a bunch of stuff.

I almost ALWAYS forget some small little detail and want to cover all my bases and was wondering if everyone who's done a B-series swap, what little pieces did you forget and had to go run out and buy because you forgot?

*Car and parts I have*
a 1992 Civic CX that runs and drive *Badly, headgasket blown on a minime swap*

and the swap parts:

1996 B18B1 out of an Acura Integra LS (Automatic)
Full Long block (All sensors, wiring harness, intake manifold, TB, etc)
1996 B18B1 Transmission out of an Acura Integra LS
All sensors for trans
Top mount for the trans
Starter
Slave Cylinder
clutch fork *All attached etc*
hardware to attach trans TO motor
hardware to attach flywheel to motor
Lightly used Flywheel
lightly used clutch
lightly used pressure plate
BRAND NEW Honda OEM 94-00 Acura Integra Shift linkage
Axles and mid-shaft from the same car the motor came out of
all motor mounts still attached to motor.

Only thing I can think of that I don't have yet is a chip for my ECU to run the LS (I have a chipped P05 for my mini-me, and the motor is coming with an OBD-2 ECU for the LS (cant use id assume?)

Anything I'm forgetting? anything you guys missed in the past that I should be aware of?

Old 02-21-2008, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LS Swap: For those of you who've done it, What did you forget? (Dasfinc)

make sure u have rear T bracket from 94 up integra and also LS thrtottle cable
Old 02-21-2008, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS Swap: For those of you who've done it, What did you forget? (crazyguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazyguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure u have rear T bracket from 94 up integra and also LS thrtottle cable</TD></TR></TABLE>

What does the T bracket look like and where does it mount to *Rear trans I assume as that was the one I was told didn't come with my trans *

And how hard is it to change out the throttle cable? It looks like the mount is still there for it.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

throttle cable twists out of the engine bay with a little plastic mount on the firewall.

it attaches to the throttle similarly to the brakes on bicycles.

and if you're asking this i'm worried about you swapping a motor.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:29 AM

Default Re: LS Swap: For those of you who've done it, What did you forget? (Dasfinc)

Rrear T bracket mounts on the back of the enigne block around at oil filter area and throttle cable is very easy to swap. just disconnect the clip at the thrtottle pedal and twist the clip on the firewall and it will come off..

the pic shown below is the exactly the rear t bracket will look like

Old 02-21-2008, 09:01 AM

Default Re: LS Swap: For those of you who've done it, What did you forget? (crazyguy)

dont you need a manual intake mani?
Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 AM

Default Re: LS Swap: For those of you who've done it, What did you forget? (ariza034)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ariza034 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont you need a manual intake mani? </TD></TR></TABLE>
they are the same. same part number. 17100-P75-A01
Old 02-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazyguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
they are the same. same part number. 17100-P75-A01</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was concerned about that, Thanks for clearing that one up for me.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">throttle cable twists out of the engine bay with a little plastic mount on the firewall.

and if you're asking this i'm worried about you swapping a motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats harsh, Lol

I ask because I hadn't touched the throttle cable on it.

The car right now has a D16Y8 Minime swap in it right now and isn't 'grunty' enough for me and kept blowing headgaskets.

I am fairly skilled and if you check my sig I have a detailed write-up on my swap even.

As far as cabling to the passenger compartment, I replaced the hood-latch cable *Which involves tearing off the bumper and fender, that was fun* so I'm no stranger to how it all cabling crap works, I was just curious.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:30 PM

make sure you have 8 fly wheel bolts. i only had 6 and it was a bitch tracking down another 2.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fitbmx86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fitbmx86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure you have 8 fly wheel bolts. i only had 6 and it was a bitch tracking down another 2.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I'm missing a single bolt from any set I will drop the money on a whole new set from honda if need be. I don't wanna have to tear this thing apart until I boost it.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dasfinc)

I did the swap and forgot the LS Header didn't mount to the civic catalytic. the holes for the spring bolts were angled opposite. you can cut and rig it with sleeves and clamps or have a muffler shop cut the midpipe and spin the flanges to match. good luck. doing the swap is cake.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^Yeah...the cat bolts on the Civic's exhause wasnt horizonatally aligned with the LS header.
Also, just swap you distributor from the b18b with your D distributor or swap out the the coil internals from the OBD2 dist. and put in the OBD1 coil stuff. The harnesses bolt in to OBD1. You can use and OBD1 LS ecu if you can find one for cheap w/o any CEL. Thats what I did.

Here are a few pics
http://www.putfile.com/tpt2005
Old 02-21-2008, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">throttle cable twists out of the engine bay with a little plastic mount on the firewall.

and if you're asking this i'm worried about you swapping a motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Everyone has to learn the best way is to just do it. I had no idea what I was doing with my first swap. I did it by myself in my garage and now its no big deal. Had to do it 4 times since then and it get easier each time.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Xscort)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xscort &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^Yeah...the cat bolts on the Civic's exhause wasnt horizonatally aligned with the LS header.
Also, just swap you distributor from the b18b with your D distributor or swap out the the coil internals from the OBD2 dist. and put in the OBD1 coil stuff. The harnesses bolt in to OBD1. You can use and OBD1 LS ecu if you can find one for cheap w/o any CEL. Thats what I did.

Here are a few pics
http://www.putfile.com/tpt2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've read that I can just plug the OBD2 engine harness into my shock-tower plugs and that basically changes the motor to OBD1 wiring *I already have a chipped OBD-1 ECU and I'll be getting an LS basemap from Phearable to toss in it*

is this incorrect?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TTacous)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TTacous &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did the swap and forgot the LS Header didn't mount to the civic catalytic. the holes for the spring bolts were angled opposite. you can cut and rig it with sleeves and clamps or have a muffler shop cut the midpipe and spin the flanges to match. good luck. doing the swap is cake. </TD></TR></TABLE>

currently I have a 4-2-1 header on my D-series going to an aftermarket cat and exhaust (And am selling/pitching the D-series header obviously), will an integra cat bolt to the rest of my exhaust?

What do you mean a different angle? (Or do you just mean that the bolt holes don't line up) Could I drill them out you think?
Old 02-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (smileycvc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by smileycvc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Everyone has to learn the best way is to just do it. I had no idea what I was doing with my first swap. I did it by myself in my garage and now its no big deal. Had to do it 4 times since then and it get easier each time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Dead on, I've pulled the head off my current D-series 4 different times *3 different heads* the first time was over the course of a month, the next 3 times was within 2-3 hours it was finished.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Correct...the OBDII harness will connect to the OBD1 harness in the engine bay and both passenger and driver side clips. Your OBD1 ecu will be fine once it is chipped, and now u're all set for boost!!!

I can't remember for some reason exactly what I did with the OBD1/2 dizzy difference. The obdI has two plugs while the obdII has 2. Just swap out the internals I believe. I really cant remember lol...just take the dizzy apart with caution and remember what goes where. Its real simple to do. I'll have to wait until its not raining before I go back outside to look and see what I did. Do a search I believe there was something about the obd1 and obd2 dizzy in LS swap.

Like mentioned before use the LS throttle cable AND bracket. I tried the d16 and GSR before gettin the LS. Didnt know about that until I asked here on the forums.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Xscort)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xscort &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Correct...the OBDII harness will connect to the OBD1 harness in the engine bay and both passenger and driver side clips. Your OBD1 ecu will be fine once it is chipped, and now u're all set for boost!!!

I can't remember for some reason exactly what I did with the OBD1/2 dizzy difference. The obdI has two plugs while the obdII has 2. Just swap out the internals I believe. I really cant remember lol...just take the dizzy apart with caution and remember what goes where. Its real simple to do. I'll have to wait until its not raining before I go back outside to look and see what I did. Do a search I believe there was something about the obd1 and obd2 dizzy in LS swap.

Like mentioned before use the LS throttle cable AND bracket. I tried the d16 and GSR before gettin the LS. Didnt know about that until I asked here on the forums. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm still confused why I would need to take the dizzy apart?

My ECU is already chipped, can't I just ask my tuner for a chip to handle a 96 Teggy?

*edit*

Thanks for all the help guys, I would have totally overlooked the throttle cable and exhaust.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is no reason to take the dizzy apart. the obdIIa wiring harness already has the single plug on it. the entire swap will bolt right in. i actually did a 96 LS in my 92CX. pretty dope once i boosted it too. make sure that you have the bitch pin for the shift linkage. make sure to get a new throw out bearing and pilot bearing. make sure if you boost it you have both torque mounts on the front of the engine, and trans.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slambedcivic)

you can also just get a 92/93 integra pr4 ecu or a 94/95 integra p75. theyll bolt right in
Old 02-21-2008, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey dude that's a shame you couldn't get that mini me swap to pan out.

I've noticed the problem with the header as well. I purchased a header for my em1 from one 6 motorsports and they sold me an ls one. I had to cut and sleave my exhaust to get it to fit. I'd reccomend going to farm and fleet and picking up 2 exhaust clamps, a tube of the high temp rtv sealant, and sleeve. The sleeve I used was about 2 feet long and split down the middle. The one end was crimped funny so that got cut off. I cut the exhaust with my hand grinder about a foot after the cat. Turned it til it fit. Slid in the two bolts on the rabbit ears. I had a friend hold up the exhaust while i smeared the hell out of it with the rtv stuff. then just bolted her up. One bad thing was the primary o2 sensor butted up against the lower support bar but no problems so far. I also let my brother in law weld it up and he blew a hole in it. He's a pipeliner so I guess he's used to working on quite a bit larger pipe size. Now i gotta wait til its warm again to re-sleave it.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slambedcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slambedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there is no reason to take the dizzy apart. the obdIIa wiring harness already has the single plug on it. the entire swap will bolt right in. i actually did a 96 LS in my 92CX. pretty dope once i boosted it too. make sure that you have the bitch pin for the shift linkage. make sure to get a new throw out bearing and pilot bearing. make sure if you boost it you have both torque mounts on the front of the engine, and trans. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was a little confused about that.

I still have my D in my car, so I'll have that bitch pin and plan on dropping the trans again before I boost it to toss in a lighter flywheel and Stage 2 or 3 clutch so I'm not to worried about the trans being minty fresh right now.

Thanks for the advice!!!
Old 02-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (importdreamer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by importdreamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey dude that's a shame you couldn't get that mini me swap to pan out.

I've noticed the problem with the header as well. I purchased a header for my em1 from one 6 motorsports and they sold me an ls one. I had to cut and sleave my exhaust to get it to fit. I'd reccomend going to farm and fleet and picking up 2 exhaust clamps, a tube of the high temp rtv sealant, and sleeve. The sleeve I used was about 2 feet long and split down the middle. The one end was crimped funny so that got cut off. I cut the exhaust with my hand grinder about a foot after the cat. Turned it til it fit. Slid in the two bolts on the rabbit ears. I had a friend hold up the exhaust while i smeared the hell out of it with the rtv stuff. then just bolted her up. One bad thing was the primary o2 sensor butted up against the lower support bar but no problems so far. I also let my brother in law weld it up and he blew a hole in it. He's a pipeliner so I guess he's used to working on quite a bit larger pipe size. Now i gotta wait til its warm again to re-sleave it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good to hear from you man!

Sorry I bailed from the apartments, I got a house here in Ottawa for $500 a month, 2 story, 2 bedroom with a nice little driveway (Gimme a call incase you need a place to work on your car, not much better than the parkinglot I know, but incase you need some help or anything)

Yea, the Minime was a nightmare, Moved FANTASTIC uptop but was always a dog down low (Probably the headgasket never sealed right leaking coolant which was more obvious at low revs, but its for the best, I'll have a nice Grunty B18 in the car by the end of March!

Stupid question though, Do you know if something cheap like an Ebay Cat for an integra will it bolt to the rest of my catback and then just bolt right up to the header?
Old 02-21-2008, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dasfinc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I was a little confused about that.

I still have my D in my car, so I'll have that bitch pin and plan on dropping the trans again before I boost it to toss in a lighter flywheel and Stage 2 or 3 clutch so I'm not to worried about the trans being minty fresh right now.

Thanks for the advice!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

not sure what youre a lil confused about. mind elaborating?

Quick Reply: LS Swap: For those of you who've done it, What did you forget?