Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LS OR LS VTEC is there much difference???

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 09:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS OR LS VTEC is there much difference???

I know there's a difference but I wanted to know how much of a difference it is for a daily driver turbo setup?? Any advice would be nice.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS OR LS VTEC is there much difference??? (HondaTeKnology)

Ls can hold more boost stock compared to a LS/V
Old 12-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS OR LS VTEC is there much difference??? (cln92eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cln92eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ls can hold more boost stock compared to a LS/V </TD></TR></TABLE>

lsv isnt stock
Old 12-24-2007, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaTeKnology &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know there's a difference but I wanted to know how much of a difference it is for a daily driver turbo setup?? Any advice would be nice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If there wasn't much difference between LS and LSvtec, why would people do it in the first place?

Just the fact that you are asking which is better for turbo makes me assume you lack the technical expertise required to even build a proper LSvtec...Stick with the LS.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS OR LS VTEC is there much difference??? (nix94delsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nix94delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lsv isnt stock </TD></TR></TABLE>
I didnt state any where that LS/V was stock I guess I have to be more detail
A Stock Ls Can hold more boost then a Modified Ls/V
Old 12-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cln92eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I didnt state any where that LS/V was stock I guess I have to be more detail
A Stock Ls Can hold more boost then a Modified Ls/V </TD></TR></TABLE>

A stock LS can hold about 250 whp reliably...but you can modify an LSvtec to hold much more than that.

So unfortunately, your statement is just wrong.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

H22
Old 12-24-2007, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS OR LS VTEC is there much difference??? (andoxviii)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andoxviii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

A stock LS can hold about 250 whp reliably...but you can modify an LSvtec to hold much more than that.

So unfortunately, your statement is just wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok well key Word MODIFY if u slap a Ls/V together Stock and LS, the Ls would be a better DD
Old 12-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS OR LS VTEC is there much difference??? (h-duced)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by h-duced &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">H22 </TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you
Old 12-24-2007, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cln92eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ok well key Word MODIFY if u slap a Ls/V together Stock and LS, the Ls would be a better DD</TD></TR></TABLE>

do you realize what goes into a decent ls-vtec?
its definitely nothing you can just "slap together"

Old 12-24-2007, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My answer is more on cost issues, for the cost to make a reliable ls/v you could either boost your ls, do a b-series vtec swap or h22, or just do the bolt on's to your ls. It takes many people around 4-5k to do their ls/v builds (which probably includes boost?).
Old 12-24-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: (z6hatchboy)

So i should just upgrade the stock internals in the LS like pistons cams ect than boost it?
Old 12-24-2007, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HondaTeKnology)

Well what are your goals to start with, hp wise and such.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:27 PM

350 HP
Old 12-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For 350hp, i think their would be issues on the stock rods and such of a ls, i think you should swap for a b16 build it mildly (rods, pistons), boost it, injectors, and get a good tune.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:17 AM

b16 head or engine? but isn't the b16 engine lack torque?
Old 12-26-2007, 10:21 AM
NooB

Default Re: LS OR LS VTEC is there much difference??? (nix94delsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nix94delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lsv isnt stock </TD></TR></TABLE>

Readin owns joo

He means a stock ls can hold boost safer then a ls/vtec that has no mods other then the turbo.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by z6hatchboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For 350hp, i think their would be issues on the stock rods and such of a ls, i think you should swap for a b16 build it mildly (rods, pistons), boost it, injectors, and get a good tune.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why is a b16 better, because it has VTEC?

I love how people think vtec is better than displacement. Besides, the b18b can hold more boost in stock form than a b16a. And if you are going to upgrade the internals, I would still rather an upgraded LS...

I would take an LS over a b16 anyday. It costs way less, its better on gas because of its longer gearing, its hold more boost reliably, it has more displacement, it is more readily available in USDM form...the list goes on and on...
Old 12-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS OR LS VTEC is there much difference??? (IT'S ME DAVID)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IT’S ME DAVID &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Readin owns joo

He means a stock ls can hold boost safer then a ls/vtec that has no mods other then the turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thank u some one understands what i was trying to say
Old 12-26-2007, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by andoxviii &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I love how people think vtec is better than displacement. Besides, the b18b can hold more boost in stock form than a b16a. And if you are going to upgrade the internals, I would still rather an upgraded LS...

I would take an LS over a b16 anyday. It costs way less, its better on gas because of its longer gearing, its hold more boost reliably, it has more displacement, it is more readily available in USDM form...the list goes on and on...</TD></TR></TABLE>

IMHO vtec was made for boost. (not literally) i have a b18a in my coupe and was gonna do a LS/V but for the money i would waste on a LS/V i could just buy a b16a block and make life alot easier. LS/V is only as good as the person building it
Old 12-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (andoxviii)

I would take an LS over a b16 anyday. It costs way less, its better on gas because of its longer gearing, its hold more boost reliably, it has more displacement, it is more readily available in USDM form...the list goes on and on...</TD></TR></TABLE>
Who here said vtec was better than displacment, and since when was the majority or displacement in the dome of the head ? The question in partly about ls vs. ls/vtec, and that was my opinio. If you want to get smart about it, then get a b18c5 head because of the partial oe porting for better flow. And yes a ls is more readily available in usdm or any for for that matter, when did honda startin making ls/vtec oe, hmm? Also, i said nothing about using a b16 tranny, just a head.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS OR LS VTEC is there much difference??? (jdm-yoda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm-yoda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LS/V is only as good as the person building it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very true
Old 12-26-2007, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by z6hatchboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Who here said vtec was better than displacment, and since when was the majority or displacement in the dome of the head ? The question in partly about ls vs. ls/vtec, and that was my opinio. If you want to get smart about it, then get a b18c5 head because of the partial oe porting for better flow. And yes a ls is more readily available in usdm or any for for that matter, when did honda startin making ls/vtec oe, hmm? Also, i said nothing about using a b16 tranny, just a head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Right. So it's a good thing I said "LS" and not "LS-VTEC". I am telling you that LS &gt; b16a, and I listed the reasons for my opinion. That's it.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS OR LS VTEC is there much difference???

Come on guys... lets stay on track with this. The OP is looking for 350hp on either an LS motor or an LSvtec ... H22, B16, K20, and B18c (P72/73) are not choices. You are going to turbo so why not go the route that is going to cost you less and give you more reliability in the end? Both will be built, but the LS is going to be the cheaper route. My vote is for the B18b1...

...I am telling you that LS &gt; b16a, and I listed the reasons for my opinion. That's it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^ So true... numerous people have had a stock B18b/b1 w/ a B16 trans and have left the B16 behind.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want to be cost efficient do a boosted LS if you wanna go ls/v i say buy a b16/18 block and get the vtec head. less factors for error.

Quick Reply: LS OR LS VTEC is there much difference???