Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2004, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work?

It's time to take my bubble to next level with a swap. Its either LS (to later go LS VTec) or a Gsr to later go turbo. I kno the Ls is the best block but how does the Gsr stand against it? Will a stock gsr block under turbo handle it as good as a Ls?
thanks ahead of time.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:01 AM

Default Re: Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work? (ELHatchyBlanco)

S
Old 04-10-2004, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work? (ELHatchyBlanco)

E
Old 04-10-2004, 10:03 AM

A
Old 04-10-2004, 10:03 AM

R
Old 04-10-2004, 10:04 AM

C
Old 04-10-2004, 10:04 AM

H
Old 04-10-2004, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work? (dose)

how about you stop trying to raise your post count and just post search all in one post

Just remember a gsr motor will make more power than an ls motor on the same amount of boost.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work? (SOHC_MShue)

gonna hear a lot of "well my b18b turbo makes more horsepower and torque than your b18c1 turbo"

we dont want to hear that crap. we're talking about stock motor with turbo, and at the same boost. not i have this and that in my motor, with this turbo, and it made so and so power with this much boost. as MShue already mentioned, a b18c1 turbo will make more power than a b18b with the same specified turbo and same boost.
Old 04-10-2004, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get the gsr and tune, but don't go crazy with the boost on the stock motor
Old 04-10-2004, 10:39 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work? (star&buc)

I though that LS motor is the strongest out of all b series, so I though you can run more boost on stock internals
Old 04-10-2004, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work? (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I though that LS motor is the strongest out of all b series, so I though you can run more boost on stock internals</TD></TR></TABLE>

no LS motor has slightly more torque because of about 30 cc's of displacement and a longer stroke...

the GSR is built better . stock girdle .. oil sprayers .. much better
Old 04-10-2004, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work? (Sprfreek)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sprfreek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no LS motor has slightly more torque because of about 30 cc's of displacement and a longer stroke...

the GSR is built better . stock girdle .. oil sprayers .. much better</TD></TR></TABLE> It also has a better flowing head then the Ls.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work? (SOHC_MShue)

[QUOTE=SOHC_MShue]how about you stop trying to raise your post count and just post search all in one post
[QUOTE]

It was a joke, do you think he really cares about # of posts?

A GSR has beefy rods, compared to a LS. The only issue with boosting a GSR is the compression. A US spec OBDII has somting like 10.3 ratio (or 10.2?), so you are already a little high. Which means u can't put that many lbs of boost to it, but if you repalace the pistons then u solve the issue. Even if not, you are still looking a high hp GSR even if ur only at like 8-9lbs boost. Another problem si the gear ratio of teh GSR is really better for NA applications, the LS tranny would be more ideal if u go this route. Hince the longer gears.

The LS is great because it is cheap, you can replace the rods and pistons alone and have almost a full bar of boost and be kicking a lot of *** on the highway. It is a lot cheaper engine that can have = potential of a boosted GSR for = ammount of money. That being LS engine + new rods + new pistons+ labor for LS, compared to GSR engine+turbo +labor.

hope that makes sense.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work? (ABK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I though that LS motor is the strongest out of all b series, so I though you can run more boost on stock internals</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well you thought wrong.

The LS rods are thinner, and thus weaker than GSR rods.

To answer the question though, I would prefer to run a stock LS engine than a stock GSR. First and foremost because the LS is cheaper. Other reasons include lower compression, and not having to deal with the cam overlap of vtec.

Have it tuned right and you won't have a problem running a reasonable amount of boost on either.
Old 04-10-2004, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work? (dose)

THANK YOU THANK YOU PLEASE SEARCH BEFORE WE ALL GO ******* CRAZY!!!!!!! AND MAKE SURE YOU SEARCH THE ARCHIVE
Old 04-10-2004, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work? (greebler)

[QUOTE=greebler]
Another problem si the gear ratio of teh GSR is really better for NA applications, the LS tranny would be more ideal if u go this route. Hince the longer gears.
[QUOTE]

i would think that the gsr tranny would still be good, as long as he isn't going crazy with boost making like 500whp, somebody correct me on this though.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work? (star&buc)

[QUOTE=star&buc
i would think that the gsr tranny would still be good, as long as he isn't going crazy with boost making like 500whp, somebody correct me on this though.[/QUOTE]

First of all... using a LS or GSR engine doesn't necessarily imply that you will be using the matching transmission. There has been endless debate about this - and I feel it's partially dependent upon your turbo setup, specifically how fast your turbo spools.

The idea that a GSR tranny is bad for boost is false though. In some cases it would definitely result in better performance than the LS.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work? (JeffS)

boosted LS is where its at, GSR might make more hp at same boost level, but how much more tq will the LS have. i'm currently running stock b18b @12psi making 323whp 270wtq. most GSR don't run 12psi, and they make like 300+hp 220tq. i'd say if you gonna stick with stock motor, the LS is tough to beat - provides a good hp -tq ratio and makes great numbers. i've used both the GSR and LS tranny on my turbo setup - the GSR tranny is 100x better!!

edit: if you're gonna build it .. definately go GSR, but only if you're gonna build it
Old 04-10-2004, 08:10 PM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work? (B18bEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18bEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">boosted LS is where its at, GSR might make more hp at same boost level, but how much more tq will the LS have. i'm currently running stock b18b @12psi making 323whp 270wtq. most GSR don't run 12psi, and they make like 300+hp 220tq. i'd say if you gonna stick with stock motor, the LS is tough to beat - provides a good hp -tq ratio and makes great numbers. i've used both the GSR and LS tranny on my turbo setup - the GSR tranny is 100x better!!

edit: if you're gonna build it .. definately go GSR, but only if you're gonna build it</TD></TR></TABLE>

a 300-325 b18c1 should make more than 220wtq? im making almost that on a b16a...
Old 04-10-2004, 09:06 PM

Default Re: Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work? (Mpir3)

The bottom line is the LS motor cost less so you can spend more money building the block and replacing the internals

LS Turbo

The only way I'd go with the GSR is if I wasn't putting the turbo on right away, just because I couldn't stand driving around with a stock LS motor Vtec
Old 04-10-2004, 09:17 PM

hey abk i can not reply to the thread I left about the p28 if you have it I would like to buy it. It would be better than what is in there right now just let me know how much. heres my address 1211 henning ave evansville IN 47714 my phone is 821-401-2379. Just let me know what you want for it. Thankx Jason insaneimportz.com
Old 04-10-2004, 09:52 PM

Default Re: Ls Or Gsr...which should i go with to turbo with out internal work? (Mpir3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mpir3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

a 300-325 b18c1 should make more than 220wtq? im making almost that on a b16a...</TD></TR></TABLE>
maybe a little more, but not much. they are dogs when it comes to tq