Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ls block meets b16A head.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 09:11 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls block meets b16A head.....

Anyone done this ? I have a friend that has and Ive seen it in a few magazines and Im just wonderin how many others have done it..... it makes more power than the b18c swap..... being that the stroke and bore of the ls block is bigger than the GSR which gives you more low end.... Im looking for an LS motor now....and in the future plan on getting the b16a head...... (if I can find a damn motor that is)

Old 06-21-2001, 10:39 PM
New User

Default Re: Ls block meets b16A head..... (Inaniac)

Ls/VteC is simple make sure u have all the parts and everythings legit my civic is runnin 14.2 with just exhaust that pretty good to me considering everythings else is bone stock GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-21-2001, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ls block meets b16A head..... (typeR)

14.2 is pretty freakin' good! I'd be scared to meet you on the street .

Anyway, the LS/VTEC is more work than either of the LS/GSR/B16A swaps because you have to do engine work to make the block to the head. It's not really in-depth stuff, but you've got to take it into consideration (the idea of drilling holes in the block scares me, so I'll never do this). Plus, I always wondered about stuff like the timing belt... or the oil pump... which parts do you use, LS or B16A?
Old 06-21-2001, 11:47 PM
New User

Default Re: Ls block meets b16A head..... (raeneshadow)

the shop did my swap but here what they use a gsr oil pump, gsr water pump, timing belt from gsr block and a head gasket for ls block i didn't use a b16 head instead i use the gsr head and a b16 tranny
Old 06-22-2001, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually, you should be looking for a B16 swap instead right now. When you want to do the LS/VTEC, everything's going to be B16 (or B18C if you can afford it as GSR parts are more expensive) except the block (and the head gasket, which stays LS). Practically everything else, including oil pumps and all will be vtec versions. You'll want a B16/B18C tranny also as the LS tranny's a lil too long in gearing. When you're ready to do it, don't skimp. If you're not comfortable with doing everything yourself, have someone that's done it before do it. A GSR head will be better in stock form than a B16A head in stock form (higher compression). However, if you do some headwork with the B16 head, it'll easily be better. You should replace all the bearings, pistons (there might be valve clearance issues with using stock LS pistons...can't remember, cuz there's issues when using stock B20 pistons, so maybe it's the same with LS pistons also) - get higher CR ones, rod bolts, head studs, balance the rotating assembly (crank, crank pulley, flywheel, etc). While you're at it, put in some CTR/ITR cams and you'll put down some major power. If you skimp on something on this swap tho, the outcome will be much worse than if you skimped on a basic B16/B18C swap. You might also want to swap in an LS 5th gear for highway cruzing. Acceleration will suck, but at least you're not cruzing at 4500rpm constantly on the highway. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2001, 02:07 PM
New User

Default Re: Ls block meets b16A head..... (bhcvc)

oh i know that all the parts i need will have to match the head..... but i work for discount auto so i can get all of that stuff at 20% off anyways... although they want waaaay too much for the engine itself..... and the ls pistons will work just fine.. im not plannin on going all motor... so the compression should be fine with those pistons...
Old 06-22-2001, 07:32 PM
New User

Default Re: Ls block meets b16A head..... (Loco Honkey)

In all the ls/vtec swaps i have seen, they can use the LS slugs, but if you use the CTR cams, the lift is to high on the exhaust, and they slap the valves. I've seen quite a few use the CTR pistons, with ITR cams, and they yeild around 12:1 CR. That seems to be the best "factory setup" of parts for the money. I would get the B16 first like someone else said, and then get a CRV B20 block, for even more torque. You must know of http://www.thepartstrader.com right? tons of honda engine stuff, as well as JDM parts. Thats where you can buy about 100 b18c blocks in a day.
Old 06-22-2001, 07:35 PM
New User

Default Re: Ls block meets b16A head..... (dropum)

oh yeah, and you dont drill or tap any part of the block, just to close the original oil port for the VTEC on the underside of the head and then get the new supply from the back of the block, and run it to the oil access port on the back of the B16a or B18c head.
Old 06-23-2001, 03:11 PM
New User

Default Re: Ls block meets b16A head..... (dropum)

Would u get more HP from a GSR head rather then a B16 head?and how much of a difference?
Old 06-24-2001, 12:46 PM
New User

YOU BASICALLY ALMOST GOT A TYPE R MOTOR WITH THAT SETUP.. TRY IT AND SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT. I HEARD THAT IT WORKS. THEY SAY IT'S ****.
Old 06-24-2001, 01:35 PM
New User

Default Re: Ls block meets b16A head..... (shogokocoupe)

try http://www.crvtec.com they have allot of links and the crvtec is basically the same setup, just longer stroke, etc. From what I remember though, you would get more out of the b16a head, due to the fact that it has larger ports and maybe a better quench area? Dont quote me though. Just check them out, and their links, lots of imfo. I do remember for a fact that the b18c5 head is a b16a head with a mild port job and dual valve springs, etc. sorry I couldnt help more.
Old 06-24-2001, 11:10 PM
B18C-EJ1

Anyone done this ?
OMG! Where have you been? LS/VTEC has been around for 6 years now.

To answer all your questions, why didn't you do a search. There's probably 200+ articles on this subject on this board alone.

You can also visit http://hybrid.honda-perf.org amongst many others.

Good luck with your project.