Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lowerinig trunk latch...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowerinig trunk latch...

On my car the latch that locks down the trunkn is causing m carbon fiber trunk to stick up about 1/4"... I see theres 2 holes covered under the top 2 screws and 1 hole under the bottom screw on the latch.. if i drill out these holes can i lower the latch to where those holes are an screw it in to have lowered it a little bit?? someonne told me thats how u do it an i am not sure if he was full of **** or not... im not a noob so dont flame with "oh try it out see if it works hur hur hur" im merely curious as to learning something new... thanks...
Old 03-12-2006, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lowerinig trunk latch... (JDM_SOHC)

bump.... i'd really like to know if anyone knows how to maybe get the trunk pulled down some for better fitment?
Old 03-12-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not OEM so it wont fit like OEM. but, i realli dont see what u mean so a pik might help
Old 03-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha been there done that.. i have carbon creations for "96-00" oon my 00 civic si.. i had the same damn problem.. i drilled out my trnk latch to give it extra space to push down. then i also adjust the bolts that the trunk sits on. the problem is the trunk is so light.. i also had issues with it flying up.. anyways i still have the trunk its sitting in the closet put the stock one back on.. mainly because i added a 13w7.. also i could only get about half the trunk flush.. its tideous and i recommend buying a show quality carbon fiber trunk if you are using one.. such as vis.. carbon fiber trunks make me nervous.. you could make a metal latch and latch the trunk to the body right above the bumper...
i thought about adding a nitrous bottle to the trunk so that it would weigh it down more.. good luck and post pictures if you can
hope sometihng may have helped.. also...
the trunk can be adjusted two ways
you can adjust the bottom
where the latch latches
and also the latch
you may be able to pull a quarter inch out of both..
Old 03-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lowerinig trunk latch... (madlion)

here ya go..

Old 03-12-2006, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

still having issues eh? looks like one side fits way better than the other.

I went and looked at my coupe today.
I think the bolt mounts on your cf trunk are off, in which case they need to be modified or redone.
Perhaps you can make some kind of adaptor plate?
Old 03-12-2006, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lowerinig trunk latch... (Vero)

yeah that might be the case... if its not to much of hassle... would u mind measuring from the middle of both bolts to the bottom part "when trunk opened".. this way i could tell if mine are off by a little bit.... i thought it was maybe my weatherstripping that was to big an not allowing it to shut.. im just suprised that nobody else has ever had this problem lol....
Old 03-12-2006, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_SOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah that might be the case... if its not to much of hassle... would u mind measuring from the middle of both bolts to the bottom part "when trunk opened".. this way i could tell if mine are off by a little bit.... i thought it was maybe my weatherstripping that was to big an not allowing it to shut.. im just suprised that nobody else has ever had this problem lol....</TD></TR></TABLE>

well I have a ej8, which may be different than your ej6 trunk. I can take a look if you still want tommorow. I just got out of surgery and I am only allowed to get up so often.
plus its dark out
Old 03-12-2006, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damn, good luck with the fitment. My trunk fit perfectly. Let me know how it's coming along.
Old 03-13-2006, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lowerinig trunk latch... (gsp em1)

truu, ur **** is clean as expletive bro... :rops::

down here in southwest fla carbon trunks are not really a hot thing yet, i mean theres like a small handful with'm an most of those are wrx's, evo's, and an srt4 i believe... im only one around here with 92-95 coupe carbon fiber trunk... an i live in rice a roni heaven so im sure its only time lol... oh well, i just figured someone had ran across this problem before... if it is in fact the mold that was done wrong would a body shop be able to correct the problem..?? im like in the negatives when it comes to knowledge on fiberglassing an ****....
Old 03-14-2006, 05:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey you with the 99-00 si in blue!! what brand is that vis?? also does your trunk fly open.. when you pop it?? and also did you get the key to fit??? on my carbon creations i had to bend the bar to connect the trunk lock to the latch. needless to say it wouldnt fit so i left a hole. which is cool cause i have a 13w7 and i dont need anyone attempting to take it.. even though they cant get it unless they take the seats out hahaha.. its a big sob.. also the trunk is mainly for the track but yours looks like a daily driven trunk.. what brand??sorry for the rambling white rhino to blame
Old 03-14-2006, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it wont matter what brand trunk it is, they should all be within the same weight range.

Did your EM1 have a spoiler before you put the cf hood on? honda has 2 different trunk springs, one for none and one for the spoilers.

Though id imagine even the normal ones might pull it up quick too.

as far as the lock you should have played with the trunk more first.
Old 03-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lowerinig trunk latch... (Vero)

actually your wrong. the vis could have a debo fiberglass shell making it weigh a nice percentage more.. if its 20% thats still a significant percentage while it may just mean 2-3lbs.. if you have a carbon fiber trunk i think you would understand that weight is important. that 2-3 lbs could make the trunk fly up 15% less faster eliminating the wear the bolts that hold the trunk to the car face.. i mean this **** is important if you care about that quarter inch gap..
Old 03-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i played with the trunk forever.. the carbon fiber inner shell was not designed to fit it.. i could have connected wire instead of using the bar but i prefered shaved!
Old 03-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by madlion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually your wrong. the vis could have a debo fiberglass shell making it weigh a nice percentage more.. if its 20% thats still a significant percentage while it may just mean 2-3lbs.. if you have a carbon fiber trunk i think you would understand that weight is important. that 2-3 lbs could make the trunk fly up 15% less faster eliminating the wear the bolts that hold the trunk to the car face.. i mean this **** is important if you care about that quarter inch gap.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

VIS, like most of the companies use carbon ontop of fiberglass with a fiberglass structure. They are going to weigh very similar dipending on thickness. Regardless, if you have the same weighted spring on, which is used to raising a steel trunk or a steel trunk with a wing (even stronger spring).
Those are going to effect how fast it pulls more than a different brand will.

I dont think anyone out there makes a complete trunk out of just carbon fiber, at least not for what a honda buyer is going to pay.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:51 PM

The closest thing I can suggest is to adjust the rubber thing if your trunk comes with it.
pics didnt work- hopefully the link does
http://viewmorepics.myspace.co...65812

Modified by Rbehne2 at 3:02 PM 3/14/2006
Old 03-17-2006, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lowerinig trunk latch... (Rbehne2)

sell that trunk buy a vis thats what i should have done.. fabrication can only go so far when poor quality control is to blame. some people dont know what they are talking about.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

see my avatar.. i have carbon fenders carbon hood and carbon trunk.. those rubber stoppings dont do **** but fall off.