Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lowering Springs VS. Coilovers Sleeves

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Springs VS. Coilovers Sleeves

So, I want to lower my stock civic. I'm looking to lower it about 2 inches. I also want to keep my stock shocks. Which will ride better/look better/overall be better? Also if you have any suggestions on brands, please let me know
Old 05-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Lowering Springs VS. Coilovers Sleeves

2 inches wont look any diff on coilovers than springs. I've rode on both, and springs usual give the softer feel but tanabe makes some really good ones. For coilovers go for eibach ground control and some extended top hats (they save shock lol). It really comes down to how stiff you want it and do you want the adjustability
Old 05-11-2009, 09:11 PM

IMO cheap egay coilovers are just too bouncy. i just like regular lowering springs like Skunk 2, H&R, eibach, etc. But to each his own
Old 05-11-2009, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by z6hatchboy
2 inches wont look any diff on coilovers than springs. I've rode on both, and springs usual give the softer feel but tanabe makes some really good ones. For coilovers go for eibach ground control and some extended top hats (they save shock lol). It really comes down to how stiff you want it and do you want the adjustability
I really don't want a stiff ride, I basically just really like the lowered look. and just to clarify, lowering springs cant be adjusted and coilovers can? what if i wanted to go 3 inches? How easy is it to adjust the coilovers?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if your looking to adjust, or you are unsure on the height completely i would get coils and fine tune them. if you just wanna drop and be done get some eibach sportlines and call it a day
Old 05-12-2009, 06:17 AM

Do coilovers ride stiffer than springs? What are some good inexpensive coilovers?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:50 AM

Has anybody ever tried these coilovers? http://www.jdmcarboy.com/index.php?m...3e4645f8329532

I think I might just get some cheap coilovers for now, that way I can adjust them and find the right ride height I like, and then buy some lowering springs once i find the right height
Old 05-12-2009, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Id go with coilovers, Ive got ground control coilovers with the tokico illumina and there pretty good not to stiff or too bouncy either. everything cost me about $650 (375 for the shocks and 275 for the coilovers on ebay). ive had tein springs but not tein coilovers, and they ride 10 times better than the springs. IMO coilovers all the way maybe that ill help
Old 05-12-2009, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by eksedan98
Id go with coilovers, Ive got ground control coilovers with the tokico illumina and there pretty good not to stiff or too bouncy either. everything cost me about $650 (375 for the shocks and 275 for the coilovers on ebay). ive had tein springs but not tein coilovers, and they ride 10 times better than the springs. IMO coilovers all the way maybe that ill help
Thanks, if I get coilovers though, do I have to get aftermarket shocks or can will the stock ones do?
Old 05-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96CIVICEX
Has anybody ever tried these coilovers? http://www.jdmcarboy.com/index.php?m...3e4645f8329532

I think I might just get some cheap coilovers for now, that way I can adjust them and find the right ride height I like, and then buy some lowering springs once i find the right height
I don't know about the springs, but the sleeves should work fine. I'm currently running Skunk2 coilover springs all around while front is Skunk2 sleeves and rear is the egay sleeves which look exactly like the link in your post. Stock shocks is not the way to go. I've only lowered it 1.5 inches in the front and 1 inch in the rear running on 16s and the ride is terrible. Yes it handles better, but on bumps when your tired you can feel your back about to go out as it rides through irregular bumps on the street. =/ It could be just the city I live in but yea. I recommend getting shocks along with coilovers.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, if I get coilovers though, do I have to get aftermarket shocks or can will the stock ones do?
it depends on the coilover itself, but if i had to chose get the aftermarket ones. a freind of mine actually has aftermarket coilovers but he has stock shocks on his si he says it rides fine but i havnt been in his car to give you an honest anser. IMO i would get the shock and the coilvers at once, that way you dont have to put up with the hassle later. il try to find out wich coilovers he has. hope that helps.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by D3vin
I don't know about the springs, but the sleeves should work fine. I'm currently running Skunk2 coilover springs all around while front is Skunk2 sleeves and rear is the egay sleeves which look exactly like the link in your post. Stock shocks is not the way to go. I've only lowered it 1.5 inches in the front and 1 inch in the rear running on 16s and the ride is terrible. Yes it handles better, but on bumps when your tired you can feel your back about to go out as it rides through irregular bumps on the street. =/ It could be just the city I live in but yea. I recommend getting shocks along with coilovers.
So would it be better to use cheap coilovers(like the jdmcarboy ones) on aftermarket stocks, or good coilovers on stock shocks?
Old 05-12-2009, 02:35 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

So would it be better to use cheap coilovers(like the jdmcarboy ones) on aftermarket stocks, or good coilovers on stock shocks?
dont use thos coilovers there are noithing but cheep ebay crap.
skunk 2, ground control, omni if you can find them.

im was going to get omni but i guess they are back orderd, talked to omni now its they havent carried them for 2 years. i find this out a week after i orderd them lol
dont use cheeps coilovers there going to suck and bounce alot.
good coilovers and stock shock will be ok but aftermarket is best.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:02 PM

IMO, if cost is not an issue, go with PIC select coilovers. I run them on my EG and love them. I got the ones for the type r too. Investment is worth it.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lmuas
IMO, if cost is not an issue, go with PIC select coilovers. I run them on my EG and love them. I got the ones for the type r too. Investment is worth it.
Do those come with shocks/struts or do you use your stock ones?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the lower you go on coilovers the harder the ride gets.in your case 2 inch drop will ride fine.just get any coilovers which are not known to sag.if you can get some shocks even the cheap ebay coilovers will ride good but ive heard they sag.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do those come with shocks/struts or do you use your stock ones?
They are a full coilover, they come with shocks. IMO lowering springs kinda suck go with coilovers. I am getting PIC coilovers too and i have heard nothing but good things from them. There is also a group buy for those on here.
http://www.hondamarketplace.com/show...9#post38510059
Old 05-12-2009, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by esean93
the lower you go on coilovers the harder the ride gets.in your case 2 inch drop will ride fine.just get any coilovers which are not known to sag.if you can get some shocks even the cheap ebay coilovers will ride good but ive heard they sag.
What about a 3in drop? and what does sag mean?
Old 05-12-2009, 03:55 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Do not lower on stock shocks. Don't do it. Your ride will suck. Stock shocks are not designed to handle the increased spring rate. They will ride like crap, then blow, and ride worse. This applies to all coilover sleeves and lowering springs.

Why do you not want to replace the shocks?

Cheap out on the springs if you have to, but at least get something better than stock on the shocks. Doesn't have to be adjustable or fancy... koni reds are good, KYB AGXs, tokiko illuminas, bilsteins, or I think koni even has something cheaper than the reds.

I got koni reds and Eibach sportlines on my car. It's dropped right about 2" and cost around $550 shipped. Sits just about perfect in my opinion, and rides like buttah.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vindicator9000
Do not lower on stock shocks. Don't do it. Your ride will suck. Stock shocks are not designed to handle the increased spring rate. They will ride like crap, then blow, and ride worse. This applies to all coilover sleeves and lowering springs.

Why do you not want to replace the shocks?

Cheap out on the springs if you have to, but at least get something better than stock on the shocks. Doesn't have to be adjustable or fancy... koni reds are good, KYB AGXs, tokiko illuminas, bilsteins, or I think koni even has something cheaper than the reds.

I got koni reds and Eibach sportlines on my car. It's dropped right about 2" and cost around $550 shipped. Sits just about perfect in my opinion, and rides like buttah.
Price is the only issue. So how about some cheap coilovers on aftermarket shocks?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had tien s tech on my coupe and it gave me a smoth ride and they were not pricey but now im running tien coilovers and there the **** rides like a cadillac
Old 05-12-2009, 05:58 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Price is the only issue. So how about some cheap coilovers on aftermarket shocks?
That would be better than coilovers on stock shocks. I honestly think shocks make a lot more difference than springs... any of the name brand springs are perfectly fine - tein, skunk2, eibach, even omni is probably okay.

Keep in mind you HAVE to shell out another 70-100 for an alignment after you lower, or else you're going to eat tires. I just went through the same thing... wanted to lower, didn't want to spend a lot, wanted good ride and handling. I did a ton of research before I shelled out cash.

Have you considered an inexpensive lowering package? Tirerack has the Eibach Sport Kit, which lowers about 2" for $441. It includes Eibach sportlines and Eibach shocks designed specifically for the sportlines. Eibach knows their stuff. It may be an inexpensive kit, and obviously won't be on the level of a $800-1000 (or more) setup, but it will be quality.

Tirerack also has the Koni Orange shocks (STR.T... cheaper than reds) for $70 each. That would be $280 for all 4, then you could get a set of H&R or neuspeed springs for like $180. Honestly, for that price I'd get the eibach kit, but for another $100 you could get reds and sportlines.

Thing is, your shocks are what dampen spring oscilations. They slow the vertical motion of the lower control arm. To cope with the reduced suspension travel, lowering springs *should* have higher spring rates, which make them move up and down faster. With stock shocks, your $100 ebay springs are going to bounce up and down repeatedly on every bump.

I mean, get what you want. Lots of people lower and don't care about ride. I've seen lots more people swear their ebay lowered car rides awesome when I'm smacking my head on the ceiling on every bump. It may look slammed on the outside, but everybody IN your car thinks you're a douche.

In my opinion, there's no way to lower with a good quality ride for $200 or even $300. It seems like $450 is the magic number for the bare minimum you can get away with on new parts. Otherwise, hit hondamarketplace and try to find someone selling a used setup cheap.

Last edited by Vindicator9000; 05-12-2009 at 06:04 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:00 PM

well i got some RSR racing spring on my stock shocks it they run good...
Old 05-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Eibach sportlines ride really well. They're firmer than Teins, but they're very controlled. I don't like how the Teins feel like jello. Just use some decent shocks and you'll be fine. You can use stock shocks, but eventually you will wear them out and the ride will become crappy.

Eibach Pro kit springs drop the car around 1.5 or so inches but those are much softer. You can roll those on stock shocks permanently.

Eibach also has a street level coilover that's supposed to be very good. The dampers are from KW so I can believe that they're awesome. I think they're the same as KW V1s.

KW V1s would also be an awesome choice. KW makes some of the NICEST damping out there. They're around $1100.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:06 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Originally Posted by Lmuas
Cost is not an issue? Those are only like $900 or so aren't they? PIC is a local company. I've met the guys personally. They used to come around my work to talk with my friend and I all the time. They still come by in their EVO from time to time.

This isn't an investment. You're not going to make your money back or make a profit.

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs VS. Coilovers Sleeves