Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

lowering the NOX level

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering the NOX level

for SMOG (ca) are there any suggestions on lowering the nox level on a b18a1 motor (stock) the levels are at

25 mph: 1084 :meas: and max 807

15 mph: 916 :meas: and max 746 ?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump ?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: lowering the NOX level (deadline)

nox is formed, for the most part, with high combustion chamber temperatures.
So you could convert your car to run E85, or do some serious engineering and tinkering and turn it into a HCCI engine (Homogeneous charge compression ignition, think how a diesel engine works). Which would make you rich btw as this is what I think GM is struggling with right now.
Or just have a good Cat and a properly working car and make sure its not running lean.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

any more suggestions ?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 04-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (deadline)

serirously you need to use the search, this has been covered millions of times
Old 04-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Crazydave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Crazydave &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">serirously you need to use the search, this has been covered millions of times
</TD></TR></TABLE>

you just sayin that to boost up your post numbers......and the search..needs to be updated, not something from 2 years ago
Old 04-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I can seriously give a **** about my post count. If I wanted to increase my post count, I would be in other areas of this forum

All you have to do is type:

"Failed Smog" in the search line and select archived content.

There are over 4 pages of threads to read about smog. Your situation is not unique.

Modified by Crazydave at 2:12 PM 4/10/2007
Old 04-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here, I actually add some value to your thread:

http://www.artsautomotive.com/thesmogstory.htm

This will give you an insight to you problem
Old 04-10-2007, 01:15 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i just passed my smog today after failing the first time last week. i also had high NOX levels but only on the 15mph test. a simple oil and plug change and i passed.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (doood)

You need a new CAT to lower NOX.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need a new CAT to lower NOX.</TD></TR></TABLE>

koo..just want to double check cuzz not all cars are the same...
Old 04-10-2007, 09:53 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need a new CAT to lower NOX.</TD></TR></TABLE>

????? Thanks for the "technical advice" that was "well thought out" and "diagnosed".

Although the cat may be faulty, he didnt fail anything else. Not CO, and not HC which are ALSO controlled (much more so) by the cat. NOx is caused from high combustion temps. Like has been said before, make sure you're not running lean. Make sure your EGR works. The EGR was put in place to lower NOx. Not sure if your motor has an EGR. I believe the automatic trans equipped engines do. Could also be a bad fuel filter, or weak fuel flow in general. Also, might not be a bad idea to change plugs, and oil as also mentioned before, as this MAY help lower temps enough to pass. Is your car overheating? Is the coolant old? Anything you can do to bring down COMBUSTION CHAMBER TEMPS without running it too rich, and you should be golden. If you run slightly richer, it will lower temps. Too rich, and you'll have a HC and CO problem.

BTW, honda has an emissions warranty that goes for a LOOOOOOONNNG ASSSSSS TIIIIMMMMEEE. So if your cat ends up being bad (not likely), check with a dealer to see if the cat is still under warranty.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
????? Thanks for the "technical advice" that was "well thought out" and "diagnosed".
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, didn't know I had to be so technical and give proper engineering reasoning behind my free advice.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
BTW, honda has an emissions warranty that goes for a LOOOOOOONNNG ASSSSSS TIIIIMMMMEEE. So if your cat ends up being bad (not likely), check with a dealer to see if the cat is still under warranty.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's not a Honda warranty, its a federal law that all car manufacturers put a emissions warranty on all new cars. Its covered for about 80k miles or 7 years, something like that.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:57 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sorry, didn't know I had to be so technical and give proper engineering reasoning behind my free advice.

That's not a Honda warranty, its a federal law that all car manufacturers put a emissions warranty on all new cars. Its covered for about 80k miles or 7 years, something like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol well you gave the advice so authoritively (thats not a word)....like that was the DEFINITE answer. Thats why i was a dick. Free advice or not, If someone told you (with conviction) to fix something that wasnt nesscarily broken, and they told you for free...wouldn't you still be pissed off if you found out they didnt really know what they were saying?? Not trying to be an A-hole now, BTW.

I recieved a flyer in the mail from honda saying their warranties have been extended past that. MUCH past that. I dont remember exact numbers, so dont quote me but its something like 150000 miles ...regardless of the years. Again, dont quote me on that. I wasn't sure if other manufacturers have increased their warranty periods as well. Thats why i said Honda warranties go for a LOOOOOONG time on emissions stuff.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

I recieved a flyer in the mail from honda saying their warranties have been extended past that. MUCH past that. I dont remember exact numbers, so dont quote me but its something like 150000 miles ...regardless of the years. Again, dont quote me on that. I wasn't sure if other manufacturers have increased their warranty periods as well. Thats why i said Honda warranties go for a LOOOOOONG time on emissions stuff. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Really?? I have a civic and didn't get such a notice. I did get a notice for the Integra that I no longer have, but it just said they were going to do a free emissions inspection. Honda's have had problems with emissions devices, especially cat failures, which is most likely the reason for them doing more inspection/servicing of emissions devices. Most likely due to EPA or other government agencies cracking down on high polluting Honda's.

Although, since so many Honda's are modified, I wouldn't doubt that they see a lot of failures since so many people F with them.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deadline &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you just sayin that to boost up your post numbers......and the search..needs to be updated, not something from 2 years ago</TD></TR></TABLE>

I guess I don't understand, do you think cars were invented within the last decade, that MAGICALLY there is a new, better, fool-proof way developed in the last 24 months that will scrub NOx from your exhaust?

"Your search for nox returned 71 results." ****, I'd hate to be around you the day you start loosing your soap.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Marauder &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Really?? I have a civic and didn't get such a notice. I did get a notice for the Integra that I no longer have, but it just said they were going to do a free emissions inspection. Honda's have had problems with emissions devices, especially cat failures, which is most likely the reason for them doing more inspection/servicing of emissions devices. Most likely due to EPA or other government agencies cracking down on high polluting Honda's.

Although, since so many Honda's are modified, I wouldn't doubt that they see a lot of failures since so many people F with them. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its true that people mod them. Honda has actually been the "greenest" car company for a long time now. I think they get special priviledges for being so. Thats why I think they wanna maintain their SULEV, ULEV or LEV standards. Which is why I think they sent out the flyers. I have an S2000. They sent me one for that car saying something about a 150,000 mile warranty on emissions components or something.