Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lowering my car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering my car...

I want to lower my car but I was under the impression it was mighty expensive. Now, recently I've come into the notion that all I need is coilovers to lower my car. Is this true? All I need to buy is a pair of weapon r coilovers and my car will be dropped? Do I need other stuff that I just don't know about? I'm honestly more of an engine that suspension guy. I just don't know too much about it, but I'm interested. Any help you guys could give would be great. All my car info is in my signature.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lowering my car... (TheConnecticutKid)

yeah for basic lowering all you need is coilovers. But for a <U>better ride /U] get shocks too. But just to lower all you need is coilovers.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:34 PM

Yeah you can put the coilover sleeves on there, but you'll end up blowing your shocks if they're stock. Personally I'd save a little longer and go with some ground control coilovers and some nice adjustable (or not if you just want a lower ride) koni or tockico shocks... It's not gonna be as expensive as a fully integrated coilover system (i.e. tein) but it'll work just as well, and if set up properly better...
Old 04-04-2004, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you have several options when it comes to lowering your car.

lowering springs
coilovers
air suspension
hydraulics, etc..

if you're looking for basic lowering, a coilover sleeve or lowering spring will do fine. and expensive is a relative term. for a low cost lowering setup, i'd go with some lowering springs and an aftermarket performance shock. of course, if you're trying to save money, shocks are optional.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:04 PM

Default Re: Lowering my car... (tominos)

If you do decide to do it with stock shocks, they will blow evetually. I can tell you this, on my car, its lowered 2.25" in the front, 2.0" in the rear w/ Neuspeed Race springs, on stock shocks. And I have no problems with my car, the way it drives I can tell you I have no immediate need for new shocks. I think for daily driving, you'll be just fine on the stockers for now.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:41 AM

Default Re: Lowering my car... (BucsJosh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BucsJosh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you do decide to do it with stock shocks, they will blow evetually. I can tell you this, on my car, its lowered 2.25" in the front, 2.0" in the rear w/ Neuspeed Race springs, on stock shocks. And I have no problems with my car, the way it drives I can tell you I have no immediate need for new shocks. I think for daily driving, you'll be just fine on the stockers for now. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I had a set of stockers last a while on one of my old Civics. Really though I wouldn't get cheap on a set of coilovers...well mostly. The thing is the cheaper sets use really crappy springs that will sag after a few months.

However I purchased a set of Matrix Coilovers a couple years ago, and my buddy still runs them and no spring sag. Heard somewhere that they use skunk2 springs and I can believe that now three years later and they look (and perform) like my G.C. set up.

I would say grab a set of Matrix Coilovers or G.C.'s (custom spring rates with G.C.) then either a performance shock with no adjustments...but believe me youll want the shocks that have adjustments.

Spend a few bucks and be way ahead of the game. Either that or buy junk wait till it breaks and then get right stuff.

Old 04-05-2004, 12:50 AM

Weapon R coilovers blow, my buddies crx has weapon r coilovers, and they are bouncy, they have a weak spring rate, so he replaced his shocks with brand new KYB's thinking that the shocks were the problem, none the less the brand new KYB's were blown in less than a month! I hear that a combination of Ground Control coilovers are good with Koni Yellows, so if you can't afford it all at once at least the GC's would set you off to a good start, good bang for the buck.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:53 AM

Default Re: (osofresh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by osofresh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Weapon R coilovers blow, my buddies crx has weapon r coilovers, and they are bouncy, they have a weak spring rate, so he replaced his shocks with brand new KYB's thinking that the shocks were the problem, none the less the brand new KYB's were blown in less than a month! I hear that a combination of Ground Control coilovers are good with Koni Yellows, so if you can't afford it all at once at least the GC's would set you off to a good start, good bang for the buck. </TD></TR></TABLE>

They may blow, stock shocks that is, and they do not have weak spring rates. They have extremely stiff spring rates. They are a bit harsh, I've had them (Weapon-R Dual Spring Circuit Pro) paired with AGX shocks for more than a year now with a little less than a 1 finger gap and my shocks are still going strong.

I plan on autocrossing soon and will let you know how this pair holds up. If your looking to just lower your ride without height adjustability, I would recommend looking into springs from reputable manufactures with a street designation. You will maintain your ride quality, although you will not be able to adjust height and they may lower your car only about 1.25-1.5".
Old 04-05-2004, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Guam_CiviC619)

Yeah im rocking Tokico Blues shocks and neuspeed race springs (not coils) but it's pretty low, and rides alot nicer when i changed the shocks. I also recomend that you not just slap on coils. that your better off upgrading your shocks as well
Old 04-05-2004, 07:45 AM

well if u just want to lower it cut the damn springs ........just got to worry bout it bein a TAD bouncy ..... get coilovers with sum nice shocks either kyb or tokico blues
Old 04-05-2004, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

my set up is Skunk2 Coilovers ($230) with Tokico Blue Gas Shocks ($244).
Old 04-05-2004, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lowering my car... (CivHatchH22)

on tokico blue shocks...those are great for many lowering applicatiosn.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Lowering my car... (CivHatchH22)

This is all you need:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...33590

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...33590

We put them in my friends Integra and is sits and rides beautifully!!!

Old 04-05-2004, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lowering my car... (atc5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by atc5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> on tokico blue shocks...those are great for many lowering applicatiosn.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well mine blew out after ~10k miles, at least the rear ones did. But I was pretty dumped.

Blue's are a decent shock for the money but there are much better shocks out there.

Either way, just save your money and buy some full-coilovers. Some low end Teins can be had for ~$850. Either way I'd budget out about a grand for some coil-overs.

If you are really strapped on cash... then don't listen to me.