Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lowering with just springs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lowering with just springs?

im intrested in lowering my 98 hatch. i want to (if i can) just buy springs to lower the car. is this safe? is anyone else riding on just springs? would i ruin my tires due to camber wear? any input would be helpful.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lowering with just springs? (japearl)

wow this moves fast. BUMP
Old 07-22-2004, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think almost everyone at one time put just springs on their car. or atleast most people. you can get most of your camber probs taken car of with an alignment and keeping your tires rotated. you can find camber kits for cheap, like Progress has a brand new one for $100 or so that covers front and rear. it isnt the nicest kit but it will do the job for a while. also, just putting lowering springs on your car will give you the look you want, and somewhat better handeling, but if I had it to do all over again I would save my money and go with a nice set of adjustable coil overs.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:31 PM

some say you'll be safe if you stay around only a 1" drop...anymore and you'll be pushing it, and will def. wear out your tired A LOT faster!
Old 07-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Electrician

I dropped my Accord on Sportlines, which was about a 2" - 2.5" drop on stock struts. Been fine for 3 years and 40,000 miles on the same tires without wear and without alignment.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:38 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Default Re: (Dimi)

regular springs should be just fine. some people reccomend getting an alignment camber kit and so on to make sure you keep your tires wearing evenly. personally i think they are fine. i even cut my springs to where the tire was tucked in a bit in the front and the back was sitting right on the tire and my shocks were good for 3 years and the tires wore perfect.

cliff notes yes
Old 07-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK
Default Re: (ciRcuitSi y0!)

Normally, the individuals with 1992-95 Civics can lower the car with little to no problems with camber wear (1.5-1.8), while I have noticed on 1996-00 Civics it's best to get a camber kit. As mentioned earlier, it also depends on the ride height.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thanks for the response. everyone has told me save up for coil overs but i really cant afford the cash right now. im looking for a 1.5 drop at the most; just to get that look. any springs that anyone has had problems with and wouldnt buy again? thanks
Old 07-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (japearl)

I dropped my 00 ex with just neuspeed race spring and stock shocks and it road likie ****, felt like i was in a snoop dogg video(bounce bounce) Plus it had really bad negative camber.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:27 PM

I have tried it all. Cut springs which led to blown struts. Then h&r race springs on stock struts which blew out after a couple months. Full coilovers which were nice but road too rough for street application.

If you are only going to drop a LITTLE then you will be ok on stock struts with no alignment. But anymore then an inch or so your gonna be buying tires like its going out of style.

Cliffs - Buy springs, struts and, camber kit and never worry about it again. My .02$
Old 07-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (WatsUpDOHC)

Unless you're actually going to be adjusting your height all the time, just get springs. I, like alot of ppl would like to get coilovers, the practicality just isn't there since 1) It's for my ex's car, 2) she nor I have time to autocross or have place to do it 3) Extremely expensive.

But I would not do just springs, wait and save the money for strut/shocks also cuz the labor charge is the same to install both components just as if you were to install just springs.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Knightmare69)

Like others said, I would save up for shocks and maybe camber kit first before putting anything on. Speaking from experience, your ride will bounce like crazy over bumps on the road, maybe even bottom out depending on how much you lower. I would do it right the first time, esp on suspension.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (camelian)

I'm on H&R Sports right now, and they **** me off so much I'm getting TEIN SS to replace them. They bounce a TON, and they blew my shocks in like 4 months. Lowering springs should be paired with an aftermarket shock imo.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:27 PM

Default Re: (WatsUpDOHC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by WatsUpDOHC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dropped my 00 ex with just neuspeed race spring and stock shocks and it road likie ****, felt like i was in a snoop dogg video(bounce bounce) Plus it had really bad negative camber.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did this also on my old eg. Never again. I got some skunk coilovers for about the price of 2 sets of neuspeeds on stock shocks. Rides nice. Like you I didn't want to wait to save the money for everything. Now I just need to save the money for adjustable shocks.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:33 PM

BE READY TO TAKE FLIGHT WHEN YOUR ON THE HIGHWAY AND MEET HUMPS ON THE ROAD.

BE READY TO FOR YOUR FRONT AND BACK TO BOUNCE (FORWARD & BACK)(FORWARD & BACK)(FORWARD & BACK)(FORWARD & BACK)(FORWARD & BACK)(FORWARD & BACK)(FORWARD & BACK)(FORWARD & BACK)(FORWARD & BACK)(FORWARD & BACK)(FORWARD & BACK)(FORWARD & BACK)(FORWARD & BACK) hahahaahaha

AND YOU'LL BE BOUNCING MORE THAN YOUR GIRL WILL EVER BOUNCE ON YOU.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (crashN2u)

Springs are cool as long as your doing light driving i.e. speeding, racing, taking turns hard etc. I have H&R race springs on my SI, they ride nice overall, but I want it stiffer when I push the car. So depending on your driving style you may or maynot need shocks. I got about a 2 inch drop around.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-22-2004, 09:24 PM

Default Re: (Dstretch33)

im not a fan of H&R's... all the cars i see with them, the spring rates are wonky, and they sag in the rear...
Old 07-22-2004, 09:33 PM

Default Re: (Nate047)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nate047 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm on H&R Sports right now, and they **** me off so much I'm getting TEIN SS to replace them. They bounce a TON, and they blew my shocks in like 4 months. Lowering springs should be paired with an aftermarket shock imo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm on H&R Sports and stock struts and have no complaints. Car handles great and doesn't have excessive bounce at all. And I think the stance is about perfect.

Oh, and no camber kit anywhere. Just an alignment and I get about 30k miles on my tires. 40k or so if I keep on top of it and rotate them.

Old 07-22-2004, 10:06 PM

Default Re: (TwistedSI)

Stock shocks and 1.5" springs for 2.5 years now, and no problems at all. I had the toe adjusted and alignment check after it was dropped. Back right camber had the worst camber at -1, but that is no need for a camber kit. They say -1.5 or worse is when you need one. I keep my tires rotated and balanced every 7k miles or so. I have no unusual wear. Btw, a few people also told me I would need shocks when I was getting ready to do my springs at first.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (maxpsi)

im only looking at a 1.5 drop at the most. i drive a lot and although race springs look good, i think with the roads around my neck off the woods that sport springs would be fine. my car has 98k on it, are sport springs going to last on it? has anyone had problems running just h&r sport springs with stock shocks?
Old 07-23-2004, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say, Eibach spring kit, get either the Sportline or Pro kit. Which ever has the drop you want.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:52 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Marauder)

Yup, as most people mentioned go sport springs if you plan on keeping the stock dampers.
Old 07-23-2004, 01:00 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by japearl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im only looking at a 1.5 drop at the most. i drive a lot and although race springs look good, i think with the roads around my neck off the woods that sport springs would be fine. my car has 98k on it, are sport springs going to last on it? has anyone had problems running just h&r sport springs with stock shocks?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Smart guy. Don't forget intersections with rain gutters, railroads, dips coming out of restaurants, bumps in the road, etc. I have a big exhaust and I/C piping that I have to worry about.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:48 PM

i-box springs are 1337. kinda expensive, but but it rides like stock, but lower... very nice. or coil-overs. your choice.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:40 PM

Default Re: Lowering with just springs? (R0ADRAG3)

i just put the H&R Sports on my car and it gave it a good look, and a pretty stiff ride. im on stock struts and have no complaints.

i have yet to, as some as you would say "take flight". the people saying that probably have blown struts.

anyhow i recommend the H&R sports

Quick Reply: Lowering with just springs?