Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Low idle.. now its getting worse

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low idle.. now its getting worse

i have a 98 civic (auto) when i start it up and its warming up it seems ok.. but give it a couple mins and it will drop from 1500rmp to 1000prm. But when its all warmed up and i'm at a stop light or at a pause it drops to about 500rpm but it always with in the range of 600-500...

i thought i might need an oil change cause it was over do for one.. but that didn't fix it... i even cleaned my air filter cause it was really dirty, thinking that maybe not enough air is getting through but that didn't solve it... its about about 80k miles.. maybe a tune up will solve my problem? It was fine about two months ago and it just randomly happend and its staying this way.. some times it feels like its gonna give up and die.. when it drops down to around 500rpm and it bogs a little bit...

can anyone help
Old 05-25-2004, 06:19 PM

Default Re: Low idle.. now its getting worse (pureaznxex)

i just sent to start up the car to go do an errand.. and i put in the key and turn... and nothing. It wont turn over and its as if i have a dead battery but the battery is still pretty new... i waited a couple mins and tried again and it worked...

the idle drops so low and it feels like that car is gonna stop... you can barely hear the motor... usually you can hear the motor running at when you're at a stop but this seems sooo quite that its about to die...
Old 05-25-2004, 08:22 PM

hey man i kinda have the same thing. When I come to a stop during the day, my rev will drop to almost 500 and jump back up to normal. Someone said it was my brakes. When you step on the brake, you are putting air or something into the line. Idk wth he was talking about.

I still have it and am just learning to live with it. But then again it could be nething with my turbo d
Old 05-25-2004, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Low idle.. now its getting worse (civicshowracing65)

but my rev dosen't jump back to normal.. and like when i brake slowly i can feel a clunk in what i think is my front axel.... but i just replaced the axel not even a year ago..

i want to bitch slap my car!
Old 05-25-2004, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u might want to adjust the idle screw above the throttle body
Old 05-26-2004, 07:38 AM

I am having the same problem with my wife's 2000 Civic Ex (auto). We just recently took it to the dealership for the 60k mile service where they replaced the plugs, wires, fuel filter, oil, oil filter, transmission fluid, etc etc, and did the fuel injector service on it. Before it went in, it was fine. After it came out, it had this problem. Whenever she comes to a stoplight, the idle drops very low and the engine bucks some as the car is coming to a stop. Sometimes (becoming more and more frequent) it completely stalls and has to be restarted. We took it back to the dealership twice where they reset the idle, and on the second attempt they said they also adjusted a valve, but the problem persists. Anyone have any ideas? The car never had a single problem before going in for service.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you guys who have a problem only under breaking have a vacuum leak. the leak plus the brake booster using vacuum means your MAP sensor is reading the leak and making up for it. When you get off the brakes, it goes back to normal cuz the vacuum leak is not big enough to cause a real big concern.

The rest of you have either a dirty/sticking IAC valve, so clean you throttle body with throttle body cleaner. Just spray a whole can of it into the throttle body. That should clear it up. If it doesn't your distributor cap, rotor, plug wires and spark plugs should be changed. Those are the only causes of idle problems that will not cause a CEL to light up. (generally speaking)
Old 06-28-2004, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Low idle.. now its getting worse (wezink)

ive got the same problem after changing/cleaning my injectors?

whatys could it be.. i checked for all leaks and everyhting.. struggles to start in morning and has erratic idle.. i checked eveyrhting nothing seems to helps.. Whats a IAC valve?
Old 06-28-2004, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bbarbulo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bbarbulo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you guys who have a problem only under breaking have a vacuum leak. the leak plus the brake booster using vacuum means your MAP sensor is reading the leak and making up for it. When you get off the brakes, it goes back to normal cuz the vacuum leak is not big enough to cause a real big concern.

The rest of you have either a dirty/sticking IAC valve, so clean you throttle body with throttle body cleaner. Just spray a whole can of it into the throttle body. That should clear it up. If it doesn't your distributor cap, rotor, plug wires and spark plugs should be changed. Those are the only causes of idle problems that will not cause a CEL to light up. (generally speaking)</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^ Exactly... these are the first things you should check when you have a wierd idle problem; IACV and Vacuum leak. DO NOT ADJUST the idle screw until you have eliminated the other problems first. Adjusting the screw is just a 'band-aid' over the real problem you're having.

To check for vac leaks, use carb cleaner and spray near the vac connections. If the idle goes erratic, you have found the area of the leak.