Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

low as heck cars

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2004, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low as heck cars

for those of you with tucking tires/rims and have taken out your inner fender lining, did this help eliminate the rubbing? did your wheel rub on the metal fender lip? also, there is a metal edge directly above the tire that sticks down. im worried that if i remove my fender lining, my tire will hit this edge and mess up my tire (blow out) when i hit a dip or bump.

my car only really rubs when the tire is pressed into the wheel well and while turning at the same time. like entering a parking lot or making slow sharp turns to park.

any help is appreciated.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:39 PM
Bloody Beaver

Default Re: (Dimi)

Yup, not running inner fenders will make everything dirty as ****, but helps with rubbing
Old 05-16-2004, 09:51 PM

Default Re: (93 MR EJ1)

bump
Old 05-16-2004, 10:23 PM

Default Re: low as heck cars (deviant1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deviant1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for those of you with tucking tires/rims and have taken out your inner fender lining, did this help eliminate the rubbing? did your wheel rub on the metal fender lip? also, there is a metal edge directly above the tire that sticks down. im worried that if i remove my fender lining, my tire will hit this edge and mess up my tire (blow out) when i hit a dip or bump.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is very true. When I slammed my car we took out the fender linings (its seriously not that dirty) and under it is a metal flap, fin, call it what you will but its basically known as the 'cheese grater' Because if you bottom out on it, it will just carve your tire away like its nothing. So we hammered it flat with a big hammer . Its been that way for awhile. Now I only rub on the inside well (basically the engine bay) and that is only when I'm doing crazy turning like a u-ie.
Old 05-16-2004, 11:03 PM

Default Re: low as heck cars (Ejay Six)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ejay Six &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is very true. When I slammed my car we took out the fender linings (its seriously not that dirty) and under it is a metal flap, fin, call it what you will but its basically known as the 'cheese grater' Because if you bottom out on it, it will just carve your tire away like its nothing. So we hammered it flat with a big hammer . Its been that way for awhile. Now I only rub on the inside well (basically the engine bay) and that is only when I'm doing crazy turning like a u-ie.</TD></TR></TABLE>

why the hell would you even want to slam a car
Old 05-16-2004, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: low as heck cars (Slow_Em1)

only reason **** would get dirty is if you drive in the dirt and mud and ****. and when winter comes its nothing a lil sqiurt witht he hose can't fix.

i haven't had fender linenings since i got my car and the **** anit that dirty, if you live in a heavy snow/ rust prone area i woudn't do it though. but were i live the lil snow we get is never a problem and the water isn't either
Old 05-16-2004, 11:29 PM

Default Re: low as heck cars (slammed_93_hatch)

&lt;-- doesn't have inner fender liners and doesn't care one bit.
do you have access to a hose or some other water source? problem solved. and cold air intakes are stupid anyway. hmm let's risk blowing up thousands of dollars of hard work for another 2hp.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:09 AM

Default Re: low as heck cars (jwn7)

a couple questions/concerns:

1) will removing the fender lining make the front bumper wobbly? like the bottom half of the bumper. it does connect to the front bumper under the car for support i guess. i dont have my front bumper support in either. i dont want it all shaking/wobbling on the freeway and ripping off.

2) if i hammer that "fin" or dremel it, should i put a little touch up paint or clear nail polish on it to prevent rusting?
Old 05-17-2004, 01:14 AM
TSPeed Factory

no the liners being removed will not make the bumper wobbly. the screws on top, sides, and bottom of the bumper are more then enough to keep it nice and sturdy.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:38 AM

Default Re: low as heck cars (AzntaggeR)

i have 2 of the top screws and zip ties on the sides holding my bumper on. it's sufficient enough.

don't hammer the fender lip. you'll chip some paint and maybe **** your fender up good. read up on rolling fenders with a baseball bat or jack handle. or just go to a body shop and get a cheap fender tuck - shouldn't cost more than $30.

now why the hell would you take your bumper support out?? that's just stupid.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:47 AM

take your wheel off, then take a small grinder and grind the inner fender until you think it is far enough not to rub, follow it with a file to smooth the area you just grinded and then spray some paint or primer so it won't rust
Old 05-17-2004, 05:54 AM

Default Re: (blackcivic67)

my fried ripped out his liners and then got his fenders rolled by a body shop.. and it really isnt dirty at all
Old 05-17-2004, 06:38 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow_Em1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

why the hell would you even want to slam a car </TD></TR></TABLE>

Its not what you think, homeboy. Its just really low, I'm tucking into the fenders. I think you 'think' slammed means lowrider style. That is not the case. I'm only lowered about 2-3 inches. That is what 'slammed' is to the Honda community.
Old 05-17-2004, 02:24 PM

its not slammed at all. it all depends on tire/rim size. thanks for the help guys
Old 05-17-2004, 11:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ejay Six &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Its not what you think, homeboy. Its just really low, I'm tucking into the fenders. I think you 'think' slammed means lowrider style. That is not the case. I'm only lowered about 2-3 inches. That is what 'slammed' is to the Honda community.</TD></TR></TABLE>

its ok homieboi when people say slammed that means on the ground, so he idnt say it clearly to me.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by deviant1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. i dont have my front bumper support in either.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
you drive like that on a STREET CAR?

i did that to my old hatch, but i rarely drove it on the street.

scurry **** man.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:32 PM
Trial User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slow_Em1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

its ok homieboi when people say slammed that means on the ground, so he idnt say it clearly to me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

. I took out my inner lining but I had to. But my car near the inner part by my door gets so dirty and I hate that. It kind of helped with rubbing but I'm still rubbing a lil' sometimes.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:49 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> and cold air intakes are stupid anyway. hmm let's risk blowing up thousands of dollars of hard work for another 2hp. </TD></TR></TABLE>

couldnt agree more
Old 05-17-2004, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: low as heck cars (screech)

i like the loud sound of my short ram, and stock muffler.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: low as heck cars (STREETWERKZ)

i had a 99 EX (sold yesterday) that was dumped 4 inches on coilovers and pro arms and drop forks. i was rollin on 17s with 205/40s and my inner plastic fender liners didnt stand a chance. eventually they were so chewed up that i just took em out. i also cut that lip in the middle where the 2 pieces of metal meet each other so not to screw up my tires. in fact in the front lower part of where the shock tower meets the metal "front" inner fender i rubbed a hole there with my tires on both sides. of course this only happened when i turned but it was crazy to see that a tire could eat away metal without ****** the tire up.

this last pic is about 3 months after i got the car in 99, obviously with different rims.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's just plastic guys. whatever is rubbing will get rubbed out eventually, so it will not be a concern any more. if you continue to rub after that, then you have other issues you failed to see. my plastic liner had a 8x11 inch hole from when I was 17 and had no idea what an offset was once the hole was there, the rubbing was gone haha I threw my cheap rims out, bought proper rims and replaced the liner when I smartened up. DON'T REMOVE the liner, especially in Canada deviant1.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:38 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">&lt;-- doesn't have inner fender liners and doesn't care one bit.
do you have access to a hose or some other water source? problem solved. and cold air intakes are stupid anyway. hmm let's risk blowing up thousands of dollars of hard work for another 2hp. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I think running no fender liners is stupid.

You get nasty-*** rain water creeping through the gap at the fender and door if you don't run fender liners.

You also expose the under fender wiring harnesses to unneccassary water and elements as well.

Cold air intakes?

You have to be a ******* retard to hydrolock an engine. I have run a CAI since 1997 and have never messed any of my engines up.

My FIANCEE' (as in female) has ran a CAI since 1998 and has never messed up any of her engines with a CAI.

If a woman can go 6 years without blowing up an engine with a CAI, then any of you should be able to do the same if you have half of a brain.

Old 05-18-2004, 05:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: low as heck cars (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My FIANCEE' (as in female) has ran a CAI since 1998 and has never messed up any of her engines with a CAI.

If a woman can go 6 years without blowing up an engine with a CAI, then any of you should be able to do the same if you have half of a brain.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Tom you always have a great clincher to end the post

Also, I've never really seen the reason to run 18's or higher on a civic or and honda for that matter. I've never dealt with this problem and have no experience putting 18's on a honda period. A lot of help I am huh...? IMO 15 - 16 inch rims are ideal for any honda owner, except for those extreme cases that 17's should come in the mix. Good luck with everything man hope you figure it out.

As for the CAI/Hydrolock problem, it shouldn't happen if you are smart about what you do, I.E. Don't go drive through a pond or a huge rain puddle. If your smart, it shouldn't happen... period...
Old 05-18-2004, 07:06 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh and BTW:

CAIs provide more than 2whp on many, many cars as evidenced by numerous dyno sheets.

I can recall the +17whp an AEM CAI alone made on an Integra GS-R, 16whp on an RS-X Type S, etc. +2whp is just a way to try and make your point *seem* valid.

If you prefer sucking in engine bay temperature air to fresh, cooler ambient temp air then that's your decision to make, but don't make fun of others because we chose to make more whp.

Old 05-18-2004, 07:22 AM

i wasn't making fun of anybody...
it rains about 200 days a year here and i'd just rather not take the risk that's all. i'd rather lose 17hp than take that risk.

but that's just me

Quick Reply: low as heck cars