Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Low but Steady Idle and Jumpy Takeoff

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Low but Steady Idle and Jumpy Takeoff

Just got this little Ex with a Y7/Y8 mini me swap... Car looks good and runs better, but I have one general question and one potential concern...

First up, then your cruising down the street and come to a red light, the idle will be at about medium all the way until you come to a stop. It doesn't die, or even really act like it wants to... it just drops down to a VERY LOW idle and stays there. I almost feel like it may have been set up to idle like that or something just because of how smooth the idle is and there is no real variation from one stop to the next as far as idleing at different RPM's???
Any thoughts out there on this?

Next is my "concern". When taking off from 1st gear (obviously) it seems like you almost have to VERY lightly feather the gas in until the car starts to slightly roll foward and then you can go ahead and take off at a normal rate of speed. Otherwise, a little too much gas at the start of the take off and the front end seems to bounce, almost as if the tires may be trying to spin but I can't imagine the very little it takes to cause this would be "too much" acceleration in normal circumstances...

The car does sit pretty dang low... could it be the tires hitting the fendor when it does this?? Or the engine jumping like that??

Anyone with any experience or knowledge of what this could be?

Thanks for all the help, I am pretty new to the "Tuner" side of the Honda's but this website is AWESOME for getting great quality info! YOU GUYS ROCK!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:35 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Low but Steady Idle and Jumpy Takeoff

Have a look at the throttle cable...loosen it up a little bit...?