Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

for the love of jebus, I need help, and you guys are generally more helpful...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 07:27 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default for the love of jebus, I need help, and you guys are generally more helpful...

that the guys in the other forums
I need an answer, not smartass remarks

so I know its not type r related, bit I still think you guys might have an answer!

heres my dilemma
my car is a 1996 del sol si (obd2)

my motor is a japanese b16a2/3
its a hydro tranny, so its not an a1

what is my car, obd1 or obd2

i used my si del sol wiring harness, and 2 wires dont plug into anything on the b16 motor

but I am using the japanese computer, so no codes are bein thrown

what i want to know, is what version of obd I am???

my computer is kinda big, alot biger than my friends 00 civic SIR(us SI)
looks like my friends obd1 gsr ecu??

what am i?

the car runs, but the idle is wierd and lumpy, leads me to belive that there is an ecu problem

as well, I cannot plug into my friends 2000 civic SIR(us SI)
all the plugs but one fit into it!

SO i must be obd1?
or am I some sort of japanese hybrid???

This is confusing the heck out of me!

Old 03-12-2002, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: for the love of jebus, I need help, and you guys are generally more helpful... (topher)

OBD1 and OBD2 are US market concerns, but for all intents and purposes, consider your engine equivalent to OBD1.

The two wires that go to nothing probably would go to the crank angle sensor on an OBD2 motor, which your '96 Del Sol would have come with. Since you're running the JDM ECU with your JDM motor it souldn't matter.

[Modified by MK Ultra, 10:41 PM 3/12/2002]
Old 03-13-2002, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: for the love of jebus, I need help, and you guys are generally more helpful... (topher)

not necisarrily...the 99-00 ecu plugs are differant than the 96-98 plugs....yet both are OBDII
Old 03-13-2002, 07:54 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: for the love of jebus, I need help, and you guys are generally more helpful... (DragonCTR69)

Yes if its a USDM 1996 Del Sol then the CAR is OBDII.

If the motor is 1996, then it will have OBDII style plugs and ECU, but run an OBDI program - thus no extra 02 sensor, crank fluctuation sensor, etc.

Look on the head and see what year the motor is...

What does the plug on the JDM ECU look like? It just plugged right in?

From top to bottom:

OBDII (2.5 some call it)
OBDII
OBDI
Pre-OBD

Which plug does your ECU have? You running the stcok ECU or the JDM one? Update please...

The left over wires are probably for the crank fluctuation and secondary 02 sensors - again the OBDI motors don't use that.

I'll bet you've got a JDM ECU that has the OBDII plug but runs the OBDI program - I had one of those and nobody believed me, but then they saw no check engine lights and only one 02 sensor, so they believed me then...

[Modified by B18C5-EH2, 11:58 AM 3/13/2002]
Old 03-13-2002, 01:19 PM
Trial User

Wire colors and location will help. Are the plugs two wire plugs? If so then one might be for the purge control sol. The JDM B16's don't have this on the motor. It's for emissions and is usually located on the intake manifold on US cars. I used my VX wiring harness on my B16 and ended up with an extra plug for the purge control sol. I doesn't need to be hooked up and it won't throw a code either. I eventually put a pcs in when I took the car for emissions. As for the other plug, I'm not sure. I need a more detailed description of them. Your ecu and motor are OBD1.
Old 03-13-2002, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: for the love of jebus, I need help, and you guys are generally more helpful... (Pressurized)

What code does the ECU have on the side of it now? p28, etc? That could clear up a lot. I think you are OBD I but i'm not sure. I think your question has already been answered anyway.
Old 03-13-2002, 09:55 PM
New User

Default Re: for the love of jebus, I need help, and you guys are generally more helpful... (Plan B)

wow
you guys rule
i will check the colour of the wires tomorrow
but my ecu is the second from the top!
so what other ecu;s could i throw in??

I am so confused!!!!
Old 03-14-2002, 03:33 AM
Former Moderator

Agian I'll say since you've confirmed that your ECU is the second from top (OBDII plug) and since it's JDM you probably still run an OBDI program.

Wire colors and even pics would help us help you a lot, but then again if you're throwing no codes and everything is running as it should - meaning VTEC works, no leaks, idle is good, speedo and tach work, etc. - then why worry? I understand you want to double double check, but if it's running good I wouldn't stress hard about it.

But keep us posted anyways!
Old 03-14-2002, 05:14 AM
New User

Default Re: for the love of jebus, I need help, and you guys are generally more helpful... (B18C5-EH2)

well...it runs BUT!!!!

1) I have the funny "MYSTERIOUS" loping idle that wont settle itself(and I have checked every possible problem other than ecu that it might be)
2)tach is slightly off, its reading a bit high
3)I dont seem to have a speed limiter
and in the summer
4)I dont know what sort of Power FC to buy?
Old 03-14-2002, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ugh, that seems like the kind of head-aches i'd take to a real deal honda tech.
Old 03-14-2002, 05:35 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: for the love of jebus, I need help, and you guys are generally more helpful... (Plan B)

Idle could be a vacuum leak - double check all the hoses - even the little ones can cause big leaks.

Power FC? They suck unless you know someone who can really tune them good from experience. Here in Atlanta they suck because nobody can tune them. Hondata would be my vote.

However, you should start by fixing your current problems before you go out and get a stand-alone ECU
Old 03-14-2002, 05:39 AM
New User

Default Re: for the love of jebus, I need help, and you guys are generally more helpful... (B18C5-EH2)

well yeah
this idle thing
i think it is my Fast Idle Thermo Valve
at least it seems to be the cuplrit by deductive logic

however my haynes manual is at skule
and I am not going there today

so could you please tell me where my Fast idle thermo valve is located on a jdm b16a2??

I feel like a newbie, but dammit, i did the swap myself!
:D
On my first honda no less!
I miss my carbs