Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

loudness of ebay/aem short ram intakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default loudness of ebay/aem short ram intakes

are ebay short ram intakes louder or sound uglier than an aem short ram intake?? cause im thinkin bout juss buyin a cheap short ram from ebay since im low on cash...but still want a nice decent sound to it
Old 05-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: loudness of ebay/aem short ram intakes (cilvia)

not really, some of them whistle. but that's about it.
i've got an ebay cai i'm letting go for cheap if your interested. just let me know.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they're all the same ****.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (duggy)

It's all in the filter.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:14 PM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cilvia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are ebay short ram intakes louder or sound uglier than an aem short ram intake?? cause im thinkin bout juss buyin a cheap short ram from ebay since im low on cash...but still want a nice decent sound to it</TD></TR></TABLE>

the 2.5" ebay ones are really loud. the other ones are very similar. I would recommend the 2.5" one with the 2 bends and cone filter. this is how i had it setup on my car.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loudness of ebay/aem short ram intakes (ham)

does that wrap around your intake piping really work?
Old 05-14-2005, 03:17 PM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loudness of ebay/aem short ram intakes (bOOsTiNSoHcVtEc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bOOsTiNSoHcVtEc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does that wrap around your intake piping really work?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah it worked..... but didnt do much. the intake was scalding hot before i wrapped, then it was ambient. had to help somewhat.
Old 05-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loudness of ebay/aem short ram intakes (ham)

the AEM short ram sounds like **** IMO....

the ebay ones have a much deeper and throatier note....
Old 05-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they're all the same ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Correct. Just buy a K&N filter and you'll be good to go.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:20 PM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loudness of ebay/aem short ram intakes (Senses Fail y0!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Senses Fail y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock air box w/ k&n filter is the way to go </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 05-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

with an intake your only paying for the brand...intake is an intake
Old 05-14-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Re: (TOPSHOTTA-93eg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TOPSHOTTA-93eg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">with an intake your only paying for the brand...intake is an intake</TD></TR></TABLE>
I have a Tenzo with a sponge filter (Fake HKS) works for me
Old 05-15-2005, 12:01 AM
PDM

Default Re: (TOPSHOTTA-93eg6)

AEM charges a lot because they have gone through a process for making that design of intake. Series of tests and other things are done to ensure what design gains the most power. Youre basically paying extra for their costs to cover these tests. Some ebay ripoff company comes along and just steals the measurements with no testing needed. Thats why they are available for cheaper. Its the same **** though, only ebay intakes come with cheaper filters that are unlubercated. You just got to remember to lube it up or buy a better filter.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (PDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AEM charges a lot because they have gone through a process for making that design of intake. Series of tests and other things are done to ensure what design gains the most power. Youre basically paying extra for their costs to cover these tests. Some ebay ripoff company comes along and just steals the measurements with no testing needed. Thats why they are available for cheaper. Its the same **** though, only ebay intakes come with cheaper filters that are unlubercated. You just got to remember to lube it up or buy a better filter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So true. I decided to go with a AEM because I new I was getting a better overall design. I don't mind paying a little more for a complete kit and not just a knock off with a crappy filter.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:43 AM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

shortrams should all sound pretty similar I think.

as far as the whistling noise.. that varys alot I think,
but they will make your engine/exhaust louder than a cai or airbox.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:07 AM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

I got my short ram from EBay, and it's pretty loud. When I turn off my car, I can hear it still sucking about 2 seconds after the car is off.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:17 AM

Default Re: loudness of ebay/aem short ram intakes (JDM-EJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I turn off my car, I can hear it still sucking</TD></TR></TABLE>

now there's a mouthfull
Old 05-16-2005, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loudness of ebay/aem short ram intakes (green00EX)

ok, ima settle for a ebay short ram, now where can i find me a k&n filter for cheap? and in what size?? are all short ram intakes the same size in the opening??
Old 05-16-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: (duggy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">they're all the same ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. It all depends on how much air you intake is sucking up by how clean your throttle body is and the filter you use. Piping just gets the air there.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:00 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cilvia &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, ima settle for a ebay short ram, now where can i find me a k&n filter for cheap? and in what size?? are all short ram intakes the same size in the opening?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Hit up a local auto store for the filter. As far as size, they usually run 2.5 or 3". You can get a 3" and just clamp the filter on there tight if its too big or just wait and get the piping and measure it.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:40 AM
ham
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PDM)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PDM &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AEM charges a lot because they have gone through a process for making that design of intake. Series of tests and other things are done to ensure what design gains the most power. Youre basically paying extra for their costs to cover these tests. Some ebay ripoff company comes along and just steals the measurements with no testing needed. Thats why they are available for cheaper. Its the same **** though, only ebay intakes come with cheaper filters that are unlubercated. You just got to remember to lube it up or buy a better filter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah right, you are just buying the name
Old 05-16-2005, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ham)

Its true...with AEM you are paying for the R&D that went into the intake...as well as the CARB legal certification.

However.....AEM is still overpriced and they dont make the most power....if they do its by like .8 whp at 9000 rpm. (big deal)

I have a 55 dollar fake j's and i love it
Old 05-16-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: (_gurusan_)

I got a intake with the down pipe off ebay for 50.00. It works great. Sounds nice. If I remember what ebay store I got it from I'll let you know.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: loudness of ebay/aem short ram intakes (Senses Fail y0!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Senses Fail y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">stock air box w/ k&n filter is the way to go </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 05-16-2005, 11:53 AM
PDM

Default Re: (ham)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ham &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah right, you are just buying the name</TD></TR></TABLE>

umm did you read my entire post? I said they were still the same. And yes you are paying for their testing and other company expenses (including testing for other products). Why do you think so many ebay specials come with the same measurements as an AEM intake? Any bend at the wrong angle or position in the wrong way could result in a loss of expected horsepower. Even if he's not ripping off the measurements you think some guy buying 500 mass produced intakes and selling them on ebay has company expenses? You think he's paying for testing? design? marketing? advertising, promotional items, catalogs? business building with departments? tech support?... One guy in Taiwan is making them while everyone is buying mass quantities to make a quick buck. I'll repeat what I said before, its the same intake without the expenses

Quick Reply: loudness of ebay/aem short ram intakes