Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Loud squeak when car starts. Please help

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud squeak when car starts. Please help

Guys, I have a 93 CX hatch with a JDM B18C (GSR) motor. The car has been running great the past 1 1/2 year. In the last few days I have been hearing this loud squeak noise coming from the timing belt / alternator area. This is the scenario. The sound comes on right when I start the car. If i give is some gas, it stops. Just minutes ago I took the valve cover off to check for any problems. Suddently I've notice strange round continuos marks of the same lengths around the top of the timing belt. I want to pick the brain of the experts on here and see if you all have experience or seen this happened before.

Modified by CivicHB93JDM at 8:35 AM 7/26/2006
Old 07-25-2006, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Loud squeak when car starts. Please help (CivicHB93JDM)

Old 07-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tensionner is gone bad or the belt has stretched beyond it, replace both.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the timing belt has stretched and/or your tensioner is bad. also check alternator belt, they do the same when they stretch out. oh, since your going to be around the timing belt, if you haven't already change you water pump.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:56 PM
tpr

I would suggest tightening/replacing the alternator belt. It will slip initially as the battery has just been drawn down during the startup amking the alternator pull harder on the belt. I would suggest replacing the alternator belt. As if it has been slipping much it will glaze over the belt surface and no matter how tight you get it it will still slip.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have your powersteering set up on the swap? i know that some cars, when that noise comes on, it is just their powersteering that is causing that loud noise. check that out first. try taking the powersteering belt off to see if that is the problem before you even go and use lots of money on other things. try it. let us know too what happens
Old 07-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mine did the same thing at starting and on idle try tensionning the alternator belt
Old 07-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Loud squeak when car starts. Please help (ultraslowvx)

alternator belt. get a new one and replace it and make sure there is the right tensio or else it will squeak again
Old 07-26-2006, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Loud squeak when car starts. Please help (CivicHB93JDM)

I'll try out what you all have posted so far and update everyone with my findings.

thanks,
Old 07-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Loud squeak when car starts. Please help (tpr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tensionner is gone bad or the belt has stretched beyond it, replace both.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tpr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would suggest tightening/replacing the alternator belt. It will slip initially as the battery has just been drawn down during the startup amking the alternator pull harder on the belt. I would suggest replacing the alternator belt. As if it has been slipping much it will glaze over the belt surface and no matter how tight you get it it will still slip.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed with both

See, the reason it only does it when u start...same reason if u got a high hp car and u nail the throttle at like 70% tires'll spin over a few times before they catch, even if u don't let off of the throttle (we're talkin automatic here)

Same thing with ur belts, when it's stretched or the tensioner's bad, either way it's a bit loose, so that sudden JOLT goign from not moving at all to XXX RPM's is enough to slip like crazy on the belt, until it catches, then u don't have that problem..

and it's ur alternator belt (or if u have any other belts there it may be that), but it sure ash ell sin't ur timing belt b/c of the teeht - that won't squeak...that'll be more like the sound of crunching valves

Change the belt, if it still does that, get a new tensioner, in that order, ur probably won't need a new tensioner, but hey, ya never know O.o

good luck
Old 07-26-2006, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Loud squeak when car starts. Please help (Syndacate)

You guys will not believe this. I just read the postings tonight. Headed down to the garage. Realized that the alternator belt is a little loose. Unbolted the alternator. Tighten the belt. Started the car and NO MORE SQUEAK!!!. Wow what an easy fix. I can do a complete engine swap, but it never occured to me to check the belts. It's just the small things that slips my mind sometimes. Thanks everyone for your help.

Modified by CivicHB93JDM at 11:36 PM 7/26/2006
Old 07-26-2006, 09:15 PM

Not to hijack the thread...but my car also makes a noise as soon as I start up the car for a few seconds, and also when I turn off the car. Every once and a while it also makes the noise while at idle but the noise pitch changes depending on if my a/c is on or not...this leads me to believe it is the alternator belt/tensioner belt/ac belt...are they the same belts or am I referring to a few different belts here? Do I possibly have 2 different problems here? Sorry for the noob question and hijacking the thread but I would also like to get mine fixed as well as understand the difference if any between the belts listed above. Thanks for any help
Old 07-26-2006, 09:22 PM

Before bed bump...hope to have some answers by the morning so I can fix/understand this problem better
Old 07-27-2006, 07:17 AM

TTT!
Old 07-27-2006, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tuesdaynightfever)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tuesdaynightfever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not to hijack the thread...but my car also makes a noise as soon as I start up the car for a few seconds, and also when I turn off the car. Every once and a while it also makes the noise while at idle but the noise pitch changes depending on if my a/c is on or not...this leads me to believe it is the alternator belt/tensioner belt/ac belt...are they the same belts or am I referring to a few different belts here? Do I possibly have 2 different problems here? Sorry for the noob question and hijacking the thread but I would also like to get mine fixed as well as understand the difference if any between the belts listed above. Thanks for any help </TD></TR></TABLE>

they are different belts you are talking about, and though you've jacked the thread, did you atleast read it.
Old 07-27-2006, 07:38 AM

Default Re: (philosofy1)

Yes sir, I did read the thread. What I learned:

-It is not the timing belt because that is more a "crunching" sound than a squeeking sound.

-The original poster resolved his problem, it is hardly jacking the thread.

-It could be my alternator belt or tensioner which can be fixed by first trying to tighten the belt, but if it is stretched out to a certain point I will need to replace it.

Where my question differs is that at idle I hear the noise and it changes pitch when my a/c is on, off, and at different levels. That is where I'm wondering if I could have two seperate problems here. My alternator belt I'm sure needs to be tightened/replaced because of the squeeking at startup/turn off...but on the other hand my a/c adjusting the pitch of my squeek at idle would make me believe it is my a/c belt that I need to tighten.

I was just asking for some clarification so I could learn a few things as well as maybe fix my problem(s).
Old 07-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tuesdaynightfever)

they are 2 different belts,
1. for the a/c compressor
2. alternator belt.

check both, if loose tighten, if worn replace.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:10 AM

Alright, I was starting to think I had two different problems here. I know where the bolt for the a/c compressor is (I also know not to over tigheten this belt), but where is the bolt for the alternator belt? I know that is probably a dumb question and if looking at it I could probably find it. But I figure I won't be doing this until tomorrow so it can't hurt to ask

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it