Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Loud, sluggish and hard shifting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:53 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud, sluggish and hard shifting?

Hi,

I have an automatic 2000 honda civic ex. It has 165k miles on it. I'm the second owner and have had the car for roughly 10 yrs. When I purchased the car it has approx 45k miles. For the most part, I've not had any major repairs except for the air conditioner. Lately, I feel as if the car is very loud, rides kinda rough and for lack of better description..won't go. Going up bridges I feel like I lose power, and when I "gas it" it seems like I'm in slow motion. The engine revs and the rpms go really high but the car just doesn't pick up speed. The other thing I've noticed is on the downside of a bridge when I start to break the engine revs up before dropping in rpms and then i feel like a jolt. I also hear a noise when the car shifts between each gear for the life of me though, I can't figure out how to describe the noise I hear. I want to compare it to tinfoil but that doesn't seem to do it justice in my opinion.

Not recently but some maintenance history.. I get the oil changed pretty regularly... I'm not a saint so I know there's been a time or two I've gone past 3k miles but it's not a super regular thing. I've had a leak between the transmission and the engine so the transmission was dropped and the seal was replaced. I'd say that was 3 years ago so the transmission fluid is somewhat new. I've had the engine mounts replaced as they were broken. Belts are good. Spark plugs are good. Fuel filter is recently new. Air filter is new, I can change that myself

I'm game to any and all questions. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions. Thank you.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Loud, sluggish and hard shifting?

Oh and something I forgot to mention. I have felt the transmission is the problem.. Well when I had my oil changed the week before last. The texico guy made point to tell me the transmission looked real good. I was a bit taken back and asked him why he thought that. He said for the age and the miles of the car, I could ask for anything better with the transmission. Just wanted to add this. He may have just wanted to chat. Who knows.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

3 years isn't new for transmission fluid by any stretch of the mind. The FSM says 3 years/90k for "normal" conditions (driving like a grand mother all the time, always on the highway), 2 years/30k for "severe" conditions (what most of us would consider normal).

I would start by flushing your transmission.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Trial User

oh! yikes. I ddin't know that. With that said. It's only been changed/flushed once in the history of the car with me.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most 5 speed Honda transmissions rob alot more power than most manufacturers 5 speeds. Now you're dealing with an automatic that hasn't been serviced like it should have for years. Trans is most likely the culprit along with a few other small tune up parts. Things that get old but don't throw codes sometimes. Check your o2 sensor(s) and take a look at your dizzy cap and rotor. Check your valve lash as well. Lots of little things can add up.