Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Loud Noise Upon Accel / Decel - Thought it was Input Shaft Bearing, Now Not Sure

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud Noise Upon Accel / Decel - Thought it was Input Shaft Bearing, Now Not Sure

I just bought a 5-speed '97 Civic LX with 247k on it (high miles, i know). When I drove it, it was making a loud grinding noise upon acceleration and deceleration. When you push in the clutch, the noise goes away 100%. Sometimes, if I feather the accelerator, I can get it to go away for a second. Otherwise, it's pretty much constant while the vehicle is moving.

Clutch grabs fine, but the inside of the bellhousing has a bunch of sludge in it (guessing it's run-off from a leaky distributor o-ring). I just removed the transmission, thinking I'd put another used transmission in and be done with it. Wasn't planning on touching the clutch, flywheel, or rear main while in there. I have to go out of town in a few days and can't have the car taking up the garage space for that long.

I stuck my finger inside where the splines are on the clutch disc, and I'm able to wiggle it around a bit. I have done clutches before, but didn't remember if you're supposed to have a bit of up/down/side movement from that center splined area when the transmission is disconnected from it. I stuck my finger all the way through to the bearing in the flywheel, and it FEELS like I am able to move that slightly up/down as well.

When I physically hold the transmission input shaft and try to wiggle it, I get very little motion. Spinning it by hand does not result in any rattling / crap bumping around inside.

Thanks for the tips. If this were my DD I would be putting everything in it, but I kind of got screwed on this one and am just trying to put in exactly what it needs to get it going.

Actually I REALLY got screwed on this one. Neither here nor there, though. Thanks for the help.

I should also mention that both CV's are trashed. Planning on replacing those, though.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Loud Noise Upon Accel / Decel - Thought it was Input Shaft Bearing, Now Not Sure

Here is another thread you created. Related?

https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d.../#post50325042
Old 12-30-2015, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Loud Noise Upon Accel / Decel - Thought it was Input Shaft Bearing, Now Not Sure

Different vehicle, but yes, thank you I compared the clutch disc (the splined part that I could move) to one from AutoZone, which didn't move a bit. So I'm installing a new clutch and seeing what happens. Thank you.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you ever post solutions in your many threads? If not, go back and do so.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:55 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

A bad pilot bearing can act a lot like a bad input shaft bearing. Replace it with the clutch.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As an update for anyone who may be having similar problems, I have diagnosed that the transmission was bad. I started by replacing just the clutch and the pilot bearing, and still had the noise. I am in the process of putting in another (used) transmission. Hope this can help someone.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for updating.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:02 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same issue. noise. replaced clutch and all parts. trans still squals when clutch not pressed. input shaft wobbles causing squal. its annoying but iv left it been for months now. saving for swap for mo powa