Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Loud Noise from Tires or Axle

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud Noise from Tires or Axle

Hey gentlemen i have a question. I did a changed to my civic about 6 months ago i add a full gsr brake setup on my 93 Civic DX coupe. It was a big hassel but eventually it was all done about 6 months ago. Well today or acutally earlier this week i started to notice that there is a lot of vibration coming from the wheel well or the tires.It seems the faster i go the more they vibrate. I check the tires they all seem fine no rim looks bent the only thing i did see was that the cv boot is cut on both front axles but it was like that before and it seems if i take a corner fast that noise goes away as i am turning but as soon as i straighten it out it comes back. I thought it could have been like the tire rubbing againt the body of the car but it has more then enough clearance my car is not slammed it has about 1/2 inch gap on each tire from the body any ideas? i do have a rear camber kit..If that comes lose or out of alingment would it cause that vibration?

thank you god bless
Old 09-21-2005, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fix your boots.
Do an alignment.
Your rotors could be warped.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:59 AM

Alright thank you
Old 09-22-2005, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Jdm93civic)

could possible be a bad wheel bearing due to the noise shifting when your turn, due to extra load on or off the bearing
Old 09-22-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Loud Noise from Tires or Axle (Jdm93civic)

Lock the steering wheel into place and the jack up each front side and try to shake the wheel from side to side. There should be no play in the wheel at all, if there is check for worn out ball joints or tie rods.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:38 PM
RIP 1032

Default Re: (jdmchop)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmchop &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">could possible be a bad wheel bearing due to the noise shifting when your turn, due to extra load on or off the bearing</TD></TR></TABLE>

my thoughts exactly. i just replaced a bearing earlier today.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the Hillbillies and Shotguns, Ontario, Canada
Default Re: (life sux die)

I don't think rotor is warped if it was, you'd have pulsation upon aplication of braking. This is a different problem. Vibration is your problem. If your wheels where out of balance, you'd feel vibration in any direction especially in higher speeds, so it is NOT wheels. Posibility of wheel bearings, but my experince with Hondas I highly doubt your wheel bearing is causing that certain vibration.

I think it may be your CV shaft ( Constant Velocity shaft) a.k.a driveshafts. As your turn the car, constant pressure is on the bearing ***** inside the shaft, but as you straighten the car the ***** are all become loose and orbit around at high speeds causing vibration. If you tug on your driveshafts side-side, or up-down there should be no excessive play within the CV joints of the shaft (the part of the shaft which has the flexible black boot). If there is excessive play it should be changed.

Now if you want to check you wheel bearings. With the car off the ground, and steering wheel UNLOCKED: move the wheel up and down and side to side and feel if there is any play or looseness. If there is play, make sure it is not coming from the outer tie-rod, the lower or upper ball joint. If not inspect the backside of your steering knucle where the driveshaft goes to the wheel and see if there is any play there. If there is any play it should be changed.

I hope you solve your vibration problem
Old 09-22-2005, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Land of the Hillbillies and Shotguns, Ontario, Canada
Default Re: (Rayz_Si)

Most of the time when wheel bearings are bad, they give off a distinctive humming noise at higher speeds then when i check the wheel bearing for play, it is excessive. I haven't had experience with a wheel bearing causing vibration. Who knows could be a wheel bearing. From what iv'e had experinces with, it's been the driveshaft.

Do you feel the vibration, through the steering wheel, through the seat, or through the whole flooring of the car? Make sure the exhaust is not pushed against the body because you went over a speed bump or something.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:49 AM

i feel the vibration on the seat on the floor of the car. it is a hmming noise it gets louder the faster i go. i hope it doesnt cause any damage to any thing else. I got quoted 300 for labor and 100 for each bearing. i do not have the money right now because i am trying to buy a home.