Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lots of White Smoke...

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 Lots of White Smoke...

Hey guys...this is my first post so bare with me. I have a 1992 Civic HB with a Jdm d15 non-vtec. I bought the car from the auction for 400 and it was smoking real bad. I decided to rebuild it so i could learn how to rebuild a motor. After a few weeks I have everything back together...new rings, block honed, new valve job and all that good stuff. I put the head back on and i find that one of the cylinder head bolts is stripped. Being lazy, i tell my self it shouldnt be any problem. I start the car up...and there is a whole bunch of white smoke coming out the tail...after 5 mins the smoke dies down alot...almost no smoke at all. The next day i decide to take it out for a test drive, little smoke...but after about 300 feet she just started dumping white smoke. It has a fresh head gasket so Im pretty sure its good...but my question is do you guys think that coolant is leaking into that one cylinder that the head bolt is stripped??? the white smoke does pulsate its not like a steady stream at idle? I really dont want to have to take the motor out again. So i just want to confirm with others that this is most likely the problem....Thanks
Old 12-13-2008, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by curtiss_robinson
Hey guys...this is my first post so bare with me. I have a 1992 Civic HB with a Jdm d15 non-vtec. I bought the car from the auction for 400 and it was smoking real bad. I decided to rebuild it so i could learn how to rebuild a motor. After a few weeks I have everything back together...new rings, block honed, new valve job and all that good stuff. I put the head back on and i find that one of the cylinder head bolts is stripped. Being lazy, i tell my self it shouldnt be any problem. I start the car up...and there is a whole bunch of white smoke coming out the tail...after 5 mins the smoke dies down alot...almost no smoke at all. The next day i decide to take it out for a test drive, little smoke...but after about 300 feet she just started dumping white smoke. It has a fresh head gasket so Im pretty sure its good...but my question is do you guys think that coolant is leaking into that one cylinder that the head bolt is stripped??? the white smoke does pulsate its not like a steady stream at idle? I really dont want to have to take the motor out again. So i just want to confirm with others that this is most likely the problem....Thanks

its definly that dam bolt. those are the bolts you cannot **** with or even under tighten them a little bit it will screw your whole compression up in one piston. and are you loosing water or over heating? best thing to do is replace that bolt or rethread it thats a must man. good luck.

go get a compression tester from autzone and take all the spark plugs out and test for compression and if one cyl is low in compression and its where that bolts is missing then thats the problem right their for sure.

good luck bro.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lots of White Smoke...

I fixed the problem....its was my rings..i didnt install the oil ring right...thanks for the help...no im ready to hit the streets again.