Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lost my Key..help?

Old 10-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost my Key..help?

Hello All,

I wanted to know if you guys know what I can do. I lost the key to my 2002 civic. The spare key doesn't start the car. It only opens the doors. What can I do to get a new key?...does it cost a lot to have the dealer make me a new one?..what do I need to do...any info would be appreciated..thanks in advance
Old 10-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Lost my Key..help? (unix4linux)

Tow your car to honda, pay the 100 dollar fine for being stupid (maybe more for a newer car) and let them rechip your key and your good to go. Make sure you bring all your legal paperwork saying you bought the car.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Lost my Key..help? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Tow your car to honda, pay the 100 dollar fine for being stupid (maybe more for a newer car) and let them rechip your key and your good to go. Make sure you bring all your legal paperwork saying you bought the car. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Being stupid? You've never lost anything in your life Mr Prefect?
Old 10-22-2004, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lost my Key..help? (EL Vap133)

I wonder if you could call Honda and have them make you another key based off of your VIN no.
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lost my Key..help? (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wonder if you could call Honda and have them make you another key based off of your VIN no.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wasn't that the way cars were getting stolen?
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EL Vap133 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Being stupid? You've never lost anything in your life Mr Prefect? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Most people have more than one key for a car...
Old 10-22-2004, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all you need to do is get a ride to a honda dealership bring your registration and license with you and give them your vin number and they will look up your key code for you and make you a new key. I had to do this because i bought my car from a used lot and they gave me a key that wouldn't open my doors and it was hard to start the ignition and now my key works grand. I beleive it's about $6. Hope I helped ya out.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go to a Honda dealership and they wil make you a new key. You have to show ID and VIN. Bring in an insurance card or registration with your name on it.
I did it on mine.
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lost my Key..help? (Mario BA4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mario BA4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Most people have more than one key for a car... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Key word, "most".
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lost my Key..help? (slowdx9585)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EL Vap133 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wasn't that the way cars were getting stolen? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think so.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowdx9585 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">all you need to do is get a ride to a honda dealership bring your registration and license with you and give them your vin number and they will look up your key code for you and make you a new key. I had to do this because i bought my car from a used lot and they gave me a key that wouldn't open my doors and it was hard to start the ignition and now my key works grand. I beleive it's about $6. Hope I helped ya out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Was this on a 02? I'm not sure about the newer Civics, but the new RSXs have an immobilizer built in and you have to have a specific key to open it. Any idea if the newer Civics are this way and if you can still get it done off of the Vin?
Honda-Tech Member

Hey slow...thanks for the info...going to head out to the dealer now and see what happens...i'll let you guys know.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by unix4linux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey slow...thanks for the info...going to head out to the dealer now and see what happens...i'll let you guys know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Might as well call them first. I'm really interested to know about the immobilizer (or lack thereof) on the newer Civics and how this will work out for you.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Was this on a 02? I'm not sure about the newer Civics, but the new RSXs have an immobilizer built in and you have to have a specific key to open it. Any idea if the newer Civics are this way and if you can still get it done off of the Vin?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ahhhh I did not catch that part. This was for my 93 four door. It might be a little harder to get your key now and will probably cost $100+ because it's an engraved key. Sucks, trade it in and get an EG or an EK, problem solved

i don't know a solution for ya sorry
Old 10-22-2004, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EL Vap133 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Being stupid? You've never lost anything in your life Mr Prefect? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup lost my keys before, searched for a good few hours for them, finally found them and got my keys copied..... 2 times One in the wallet, and one at home. But i never seen this guy post and his asking how to make a key that can start a car. So how do i know his not a theif, thats why i said stupid. And losing your keys is a stupid thing to do

If this is all legit, just tow the car to honda.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
If this is all legit, just tow the car to honda. </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, don't tow it to Honda, just bring proof of insurance and an ID, they'll cut you a key with their computer.

Good luck
Old 10-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

all I needed was some info on how i can get a key...not a lesson on how to steal a car LUSER..you are right...you don't know if I am a theif...so if you don't know then just keep it shut...that's why we have a forum to ask for help...i appreciate the help everyone gave me...but chill out bro...
Old 10-22-2004, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yup lost my keys before, searched for a good few hours for them, finally found them and got my keys copied..... 2 times One in the wallet, and one at home. But i never seen this guy post and his asking how to make a key that can start a car. So how do i know his not a theif, thats why i said stupid. And losing your keys is a stupid thing to do

If this is all legit, just tow the car to honda. </TD></TR></TABLE>

If he was a thief then he would be a stupid thief and he would get caught.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DO NOT tow your car to honda
DO NOT listen to LUSERKID

he is just paranoid like half of the people that own nice hondas today (myself) and like to watch out for other people and expect the same in return. I guess it's jst respectful and sometimes the people who they think could cause trouble really do and sometimes they don't (you we hope).

call honda and see what they say and then POST IT HERE
Old 10-22-2004, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys....spoke to Honda and they told me all I need is Proof of ownership and VIN along with my license. Takes 10 minutes to make and it's $26...hoorayyyyy...thanks...im outta here to get that key
Old 10-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by unix4linux &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey guys....spoke to Honda and they told me all I need is Proof of ownership and VIN along with my license. Takes 10 minutes to make and it's $26...hoorayyyyy...thanks...im outta here to get that key</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow.. it cost me $10 for my local dealer (doten honda) to cut me a key from my VIN #, and it wasnt even an immobilizer key. they were gonna charge my friend $60 for an immobilizer key, but they just cut him a non-immobilizer key to get his keys out of his trunk (my spare and his spare both happened to be in LA at the time)
Old 10-22-2004, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Lost my Key..help? (dantastic)

I paid $6 a piece for my keys.

$26 = wow.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:51 AM

Default Re: Lost my Key..help? (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow.. it cost me $10 for my local dealer (doten honda) to cut me a key from my VIN #, and it wasnt even an immobilizer key. they were gonna charge my friend $60 for an immobilizer key, but they just cut him a non-immobilizer key to get his keys out of his trunk (my spare and his spare both happened to be in LA at the time)</TD></TR></TABLE> yeah but is your car as new as his? I want one of the lexus's where if you have the card in your pocket you can open the doors and even start the car!
Old 10-22-2004, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lost my Key..help? (bomber)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bomber &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I paid $6 a piece for my keys.

$26 = wow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he has a 2002
Old 10-22-2004, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Darn, I guess there is no immobilizer on the new ones then.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Darn, I guess there is no immobilizer on the new ones then.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i drove an '01 and it had an immobilizer (green blinking "key" chaped icon light in the dash). i bet the dealer quoted him a price for a non-immobilzer key.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lost my Key..help?