Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

loss of hp or a + for backpressure

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loss of hp or a + for backpressure

i have dc sport headers but at the bottom where the meet 2 of the pipes are pused in a decent amount... discuss please need to know if i should get new ones or just keep them
Old 12-02-2006, 11:07 AM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: loss of hp or a + for backpressure (egmatt89)

it's not like you were making any power with them unbent anyway. just keep it.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:11 AM

Default Re: loss of hp or a + for backpressure (that one doood)

ight another quick quest i might as well ask my friend said he would sell me a highi flow cat for 20$( he keeps callin it a test pipe) would this be better then my stock one?
Old 12-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for christ sake, backpressure is bad, and only bad. there is no such thing as good backpressure. a car does not "need backpressure" and lastly backpressure does not promote torque. it always has been and always will be the case that the faster you can get the exhaust gasses to the back of your car the better. backpressure actually kills suction at the manifold that is needed to remove all of the exhaust gas from the chamber before the intake cycle. (i forget the technical term for this)

as for your last post...keep your stock cat please. test pipes are for people who crave the placebo effect of power.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:21 AM
been there done that

Default Re: loss of hp or a + for backpressure (wudini)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wudini &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for christ sake, backpressure is bad, and only bad. there is no such thing as good backpressure. a car does not "need backpressure" and lastly backpressure does not promote torque. it always has been and always will be the case that the faster you can get the exhaust gasses to the back of your car the better. backpressure actually suction at the manifold that is needed to remove all of the exhaust gas from the chamber before the intake cycle. (i forget the technical term for this)</TD></TR></TABLE>

scavanging?
Old 12-02-2006, 11:23 AM

just lookin for advice not a reason to kill myself haha but thanks for the advice man
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by that one doood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

scavanging? </TD></TR></TABLE>

thank you.
Multi-paradigm

If all backpressure is bad, why even have an exhaust manifold at all? We should just have the exhaust gases coming straight out of the head.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wudini &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as for your last post...keep your stock cat please. test pipes are for people who crave the placebo effect of power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And I thought it's good to relieve the pressure (you said so), but you're pleading for him to keep his cat? Why?
Old 12-02-2006, 11:24 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: loss of hp or a + for backpressure (mpa_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mpa_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If all backpressure is bad, why even have an exhaust manifold at all? We should just have the exhaust gases coming straight out of the head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

We have a winner!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:24 AM
been there done that

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">We have a winner!</TD></TR></TABLE> are you that stupid. it's called emissions. do you really want that **** coming into the cabin for you to breath? on second thought, yes YOU should run with no manifold.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mpa_ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If all backpressure is bad, why even have an exhaust manifold at all? We should just have the exhaust gases coming straight out of the head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

scavenging, and it's impractical.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Multi-paradigm

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by that one doood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> are you that stupid. it's called emissions. do you really want that **** coming into the cabin for you to breath? on second thought, yes YOU should run with no manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hm, well, how about in track-only cars? For the sake of discussion.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wudini &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

scavenging, and it's impractical.</TD></TR></TABLE>

[edit] the only reason for pipes on a track car are to move the scalding hot exhaust gas to a safer place.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:27 AM

so i should put the test pipe on ? and get new headers?
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by that one doood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> are you that stupid. it's called emissions. do you really want that **** coming into the cabin for you to breath? on second thought, yes YOU should run with no manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL, I was saying his intent was correct. He was being sarcastic. You know, saying the opposite of what you mean for dramatic effect?

Of course you need a manifold and exhaust. And of course your motor is going to run like **** without them.
Multi-paradigm

But why is it impractical, if no backpressure whatsoever is good?

Help me out here, it's been a little while since I've built a race motor.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Multi-paradigm

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by egmatt89 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so i should put the test pipe on ? and get new headers?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who knows? Back pressure is bad, yet a high-flow cat or testpipe is bad too according to wudini. Hm, puzzling. I'm going to lunch.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:30 AM

well fck emissions n e waycar dont pass as is and im not sure how good the cat is so who knows but what im wonderign is would i gain a tiny bit of power from it
Old 12-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Multi-paradigm

I'm also wondering why if the dynamics of the way exhaust air leaves the motor is unimportant, since according to statements above, all we need is the lowest backpressure ever, why do these three headers produce different results in my buddy's tests? All 4-2-1s, showed torque improvements over our JDM 4-1s also. Hm, confused. Going to lunch.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1463564
Old 12-02-2006, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok smartass, pull off your manifold and drive around for a few days without it.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:46 AM
been there done that

Default Re: loss of hp or a + for backpressure (SovXietday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SovXietday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok smartass, pull off your manifold and drive around for a few days with it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

im not stupid enough to try that. i'd get pulled over the second i left the driveway.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by that one doood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im not stupid enough to try that. i'd get pulled over the second i left the driveway. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Fine, take it to the track then. Go ahead, see how many people laugh at you when you say "it's to reduce backpressure."
Old 12-02-2006, 11:51 AM

because of the design of EVERYTHING as a whole, the engine can operate w/out a header but that doesn't mean the air coming out will be exiting faster or it will help by any means. The design say for example of the DC header like mentioned about is acting like a vacumm, its sucking air out of the head and actually improving the flow. Think about how siphoning works....when you have a force acting apon it like suction there is an equal reaction happening which is the flow. The same applies to the design of the header, one or two of the tube sections is placed at that specifed location for a reason...while the gases are trying to escape they create a force that acts like a vacumm or suction and thus improves the "flow" which increses HP.....but dont look for big gains with just a header, and as far as the test pipe goes yes it will help but not enough to risk not passing emissions or visual...hope i didn't create more confusion but it make sense if your research the design of the parts..... anyways good luck on your choices.