Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Losing coolant through the radiator cap?

Old 07-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Losing coolant through the radiator cap?

I am wondering if anyone can help me with my cooling system problem:

Yesterday i noticed my car was running pretty hot (saw the dial of the engine temp at the top of the scale. I let my car cool off and then lifted the hood. I saw that there seemed to be coolant being lost out of the radiator cap, or somewhere around it since I saw dried coolant around the area inside the engine bay. I bought a new radiator cap, topped the radiator off and the car seemed to run cool again. I thought that fixed the problem.

Tonight I noticed my car running hot again (the gauge going towards the top of the heat scale) and that there was coolant that came out the top area (there was liquid coolant it looked like on the spongy material between the radiator and the front engine bay support). I topped her off and it seems to be running cool again.

Edit: I just ran the car (it seems to be running cool, the gauge doesnt rise above half) but i saw some steam coming from the front of the car while at a stoplight. I drove it into my garage (its midnight here so its dark out), turned off all the lights and used a flash light to scan the air for steam. It looks like the steam is coming directly from the front of the car just above the radiator...when I scanned the air anywhere else, there was no steam. I then shined the light directly on the car inside the engine bay and saw blue (i filled it up with honda brand fluid before) tinted liquid on the bottom of the radiator. It looks like there is a radiator leak.

Is there a way to pressure test just the radiator if i pull it out of the car?

Any information would be appreciated!

Last edited by imadigitalgod; 07-24-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Losing coolant through the radiator cap?

there is no way to pressure test the radiator off the car. But you can do it on the car. just don't put it no higher than the recommened pressure. Wich is on the rad cap. Here is a website that shows you the pressure tester you can rent at a auto parts store. I used to work at autozone and andvance autoparts. You just purchase the pressure tester and when you are done with it you just take it back and get all ur money back. Its pretty good deal. its a loan a tool program they both have.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...%7CGRP2018____
Old 07-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

You need to replace the radiator. It's a pretty easy job. The seam located at the top of the radiator is an extremely common site for leaks. I replaced the radiator on my 97 Civic earlier this year for just this reason.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^he is right just replaced mine from 97 civic as well. it was leaking from the top of the radiator. not very difficult to do at all.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the information, it looks like the coolant is coming front the top seam like you said...which is why i thought it may be the cap at first. Im out of town for work but ill replace the radiator when I get back into town next week. I see they are relatively cheap too. The ones I can get in town are $77-$89

Last edited by imadigitalgod; 07-26-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by imadigitalgod
Thanks for the information, it looks like the coolant is coming front the top seam like you said...which is why i thought it may be the cap at first. Im out of town for work but ill replace the radiator when I get back into town next week. I see they are relatively cheap too. The ones I can get in town are $77-$89
a new one is probably your best bet. and yeah new radiators are cheap. it's because they're so damn small! i got a new one for about $60.