Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Losing Coolant :( Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Losing Coolant :( Any ideas?

Well I was bleeding my clutch a few days ago and I noticed my rad res. was BONE DRY. So I pour some in the rad cap until that's full, then fill the resevoir OVER the max (hot) line.

(engine was cold the whole time)

So today I pop my hood to look at it, and engine being ice cold, the anti-freeze was down to half way inbetween the 2 marks...

I checked the ground, no signs of coolant leakage. I don't smell anything while I'm driving. Temperature is in check and if anything is actually running a bit colder than usual.

Any ideas what it could be?

Oil is fine (hasn't dropped) and isn't bubbly, and car is still strong, so I don't think it's the headgasket. Anybody have any ideas??

'Bout to go on a 5 hour drive on the risk that I'm leaking anti-freeze, brought some just incase but iono what the hell the deal is... I'll look at it again when I get back to my dorm. I just heated the engine up to SOT and filled it up basically to 1" from the brim of the resevoir...shouldn't need to get any higher than that, guess I'll see if it's any lower.

But please any suggestions, this is my daily driver, can't have it down . Can't afford the down time if I fry the engine (plus a new engine would kinda cut into my finances right about now )

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Losing Coolant :( Any ideas? (Syndacate)

If you didn't leave the radiator cap off and run the car for ten minutes or so, you probably just evacuated a little more space in the lines. I'd fill it up again and leave the cap open as the car idles until it gets warm. Make sure the heater's on as well.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Losing Coolant :( Any ideas? (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you didn't leave the radiator cap off and run the car for ten minutes or so, you probably just evacuated a little more space in the lines. I'd fill it up again and leave the cap open as the car idles until it gets warm. Make sure the heater's on as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do this, because if you have air in your lines youll get 1. bad temp readings, 2. possibly a bad idle, and 3. always look like coolant is missing. Also if you see no leaks on the ground look in the cabin and see if you see any puddles or smell coolant when the heater is on cause it could be the hoses going into your heater core (if you have one).
Old 12-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your car was just thirsty, LOL.

check the water pump week hole, check all hoses, etc, etc.....

you know the deal. but like archidictis said, fill it while the engine is cold and bring it to temp with the cap off as to birp the system of all the air.
Old 12-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (schardbody)

get a pressure tester and make sure there is no small leak

let the car run for a second.. shut it off and pull the rad cap.. top off the coolant and slowly squeeze the bottome hose to get any air bubbles out... This always works good for me
Old 12-03-2006, 12:17 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (schardbody)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schardbody &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your car was just thirsty, LOL.

check the water pump week hole, check all hoses, etc, etc.....

you know the deal. but like archidictis said, fill it while the engine is cold and bring it to temp with the cap off as to birp the system of all the air.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's "weep hole" btw Also, "burp"
Old 12-03-2006, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's "weep hole" btw Also, "burp" </TD></TR></TABLE>

damn, you dont miss much do you, LOL at me.
Old 12-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Losing Coolant :( Any ideas? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you didn't leave the radiator cap off and run the car for ten minutes or so, you probably just evacuated a little more space in the lines. I'd fill it up again and leave the cap open as the car idles until it gets warm. Make sure the heater's on as well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh ****, that's not what I did. I waited until I got home, waited 20 min or so so the coolant was still warm. Then filled it up to about 1/2" of the top (did it over the max line just in case it was leaking). Next time I go out to my car (later this week) I'll see how high/low it is and if it' slow I'll try filling it w/ the cap off until it gets to SOT. Also, the heater wasn't on, or it was it just wasn't like..."blowing" on, I'll open it all the way next time.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do this, because if you have air in your lines youll get 1. bad temp readings, 2. possibly a bad idle, and 3. always look like coolant is missing. Also if you see no leaks on the ground look in the cabin and see if you see any puddles or smell coolant when the heater is on cause it could be the hoses going into your heater core (if you have one). </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was thinking I had air in the lines too, but that didn't explain how all of a sudden it was just "bone dry." Though funny that you say it that way b/c all the 5 hour drive back up to Rochester my temp was reading colder than normal and my idle was shaky when I stopped at the gas station (and when I was back at campus).

I checked, no leaks inside nor outside as far as I can tell and I don't smell any coolant.

I know what it is now (x being level, H being hot, C being cold)
like so: | x H C |
(filled it on hot)

I'll check what it is later this week. I hope this isn't a serious problem b/c I really don't have the time nor money for this ****, especially now heading into winter.

Old 12-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i got this problem with my ej1..
every time i change my oil, my coolant is gone.
both in my radiator and resivior. i have to fill both up every time i change my oil....
wtf could this be?
Old 12-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (graveltravel2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by graveltravel2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i got this problem with my ej1..
every time i change my oil, my coolant is gone.
both in my radiator and resivior. i have to fill both up every time i change my oil....
wtf could this be?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah that's some weird ******* ****.

I did recently change my oil, but I don't see how the two would be connected unless my HG had a major leak...and if it has a major leak I'd see smoke (hopefully).
Old 12-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

i had this problem with my car, and i found the problem. i have a leak. it's very small, and it has plenty of room to drip down and dry out before it would hit the ground. check ALL of your hoses. also, it doesn't even leak all the time, only whenever it feels like it. sometimes it leaks a lot, sometimes a little drip, sometimes not at all, it's very weird.

check your hoses is my vote. check them twice, then check em again.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive checked.
i found nothing.
dont smell anything.
i dont see anything.
not smoking.
i have no clue.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone tried a pressure tester yet?
Old 12-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nah..... im not smoking what so ever.
rings should be fine.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by graveltravel2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nah..... im not smoking what so ever.
rings should be fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im talking about a cooling system tester.. it will find small pin hole leaks and whatnot
Old 12-04-2006, 01:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ohhh my bad. hahha i misread your statement.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Timmay)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Timmay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

im talking about a cooling system tester.. it will find small pin hole leaks and whatnot</TD></TR></TABLE>

I might have to do that if I can't determine something soon, how much do they cost? Is it just a vacuum pump or what? Or is it something I have to take it to a shop for?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

shops will have them im not sure how much they are to buy.. maybe you can rent one at a checker or autozone

it just hooks on to where your rad. cap goes and you pump up the system.. very easy and works great
Old 12-04-2006, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Timmay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shops will have them im not sure how much they are to buy.. maybe you can rent one at a checker or autozone

it just hooks on to where your rad. cap goes and you pump up the system.. very easy and works great</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is it like an AC pump where it'll cost 100 bux or is it like checking the fuel pressure.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

na you just take your rad cap off and this hooks on just like the cap does and it has a hose with a manual pump.. you just pump it up to so many psi and watch the gauge and see if it loses pressure and then look for the leaks

like this

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sta12270.html
Old 12-04-2006, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Timmay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">na you just take your rad cap off and this hooks on just like the cap does and it has a hose with a manual pump.. you just pump it up to so many psi and watch the gauge and see if it loses pressure and then look for the leaks

like this

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sta12270.html</TD></TR></TABLE>

Word.

Think they can do it at pep boys? If not I have to wait 3 weeks until I go home b/c I don't know any "garages" up here.

If it is indeed that.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jarhead)

im sure they have them at pep boys or whatever.. you may be able to rent one from there to
Old 12-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Timmay &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im sure they have them at pep boys or whatever.. you may be able to rent one from there to</TD></TR></TABLE>

Alright, I'll have to look into that. Appreciate it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jarhead &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your </TD></TR></TABLE>

...my...?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

let us know how it goes for you
Old 12-05-2006, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, **** man I have tomorrow off. I'll ride on over to pep boys and see what they can tell me there.

Somehow I think I'll sound like a dumbass asking them if they can check or do they lend a "coolant system leak checker" or "cooling system tester."

Blah. Stupid problem.

I'm going out to my car for the first time in a few days tomorrow, guess I'll see if it leaked any more coolant...or any more coolant is not there...

Quick Reply: Losing Coolant :( Any ideas?